U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2007, 11:40 AM

23 posts, read 136,099 times

Advertisements

hello i am relocating from mississippi to atlanta. I would like to know what would be the best area for a single black female to live. I am looking to rent an apt /twnhome/ condo. price is no option. also i would like to live in an area with a low crime rate. I really appreciate any suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2007, 05:22 PM

1,755 posts, read 5,007,352 times
I'd say Decatur or East Point

Old 03-21-2007, 04:07 PM

9 posts, read 27,456 times
Default Maybe I Can Help

Hi I Dont Know How Much Help I Can Be But I Am Also Moving There And I Have Heard Alot Of Good Things About Cobb County. I Am Also From Mississippi And Have A Few Freinds That Have Moved There And They Like That Area So Maybe You Would Want To Look Into That Area.

Old 03-21-2007, 04:19 PM

thanks for responding guys. I have heard that duluth is a nice area to rent an apt with quick access to main highways. is this a really expensive area?

Old 03-21-2007, 04:25 PM

985 posts, read 5,285,640 times
Basically, you have choices either in North Gwinnett (Duluth, Suwanee, Dacula and Grayson) or in West Cobb (Kennesaw, Acworth, etc) if you want to buy homes at affordable prices (250,000 below). Those areas are very popularly with transplants all races.

The rent at Duluth for one bedroom is 800, two bedrooms is 1000. You also can rent townhouse around 1300. Duluth has access I-85 but traffic going south is pretty bad.

Also, if you want to just rent, Dunwoody/Sandy Spring has some nice apartments in similiar price as Duluth, but you have access to MARTA train (big advantage). But buying in that neighborhood is very expensive.

Just an advice, get a job before coming down here. Atlanta job in my professional only rated "so-so". Once you find a job then find a nice neighborhood that's close to work since traffic in Atlanta is pretty bad.

Hope this help and best luck

Old 03-21-2007, 06:22 PM

2,819 posts, read 9,351,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlanta bound View Post
hello i am relocating from mississippi to atlanta. I would like to know what would be the best area for a single black female to live. I am looking to rent an apt /twnhome/ condo. price is no option. also i would like to live in an area with a low crime rate. I really appreciate any suggestions.
Yes, the key is what town/part of the city would you be working?
With traffic, one must make sure logistics take front stage.

Renting in a nice area offering everything at your fingertips would be the Mall of Georgia. New townhome/condo rentals just opened about 6 months ago right behind the Mall on Mall of GA blvd.
Of course you have the largest mall in the SE, all the restaurants, and even the new North Precint Gwinnett Police and drivers license station.

Dont worry about being SBF. the black population in GA is 30+%, a little less than Mississippi, plus diversity and acceptance here is much better than the delta country due to being a large metro area.

Good Luck

Old 03-22-2007, 05:07 PM

29 posts, read 246,825 times
I'm young single black woman living in Atlanta. I am renting an apartment in Cobb County which isn't far from the main attractions downtown. I suggest you move downtown if money is no object. Really nice condos are being built in the Castleberry area along with nice black own bars and lounges. Next year I plan on moving in the Castleberry area or Atlantic Station.

Old 03-26-2007, 11:31 AM

thanks for all of the info!!!! i am looking to begin a career in the accounting field (entry level accountant). I would like to know if atlanta is a good market for this profession? thanks once again guys!!!

Old 01-25-2009, 08:37 PM

1 posts, read 7,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlanta bound View Post
how are you doing,

atlanta is a beautiful city and i lived there for 7 years. from my experience i enjoyed living in the areas of smyrna and marrietta despite having a strict police force but its also a good thing too.,i always felt safe there. i lived in fairburn,which is outside of college park. fairburn has a country feel to it in my opinion because the community mesh's together and its not difficult to get the city of atlanta(15 minutes).its located in south fulton county...they have lot of condos to purchase but the apartments are ok. its much nicer in smyrna and marrietta,depends on if you want to live somewhere trendy or someplace laidback...

goodluck...atlanta is very diverse...when you visit,go visit little 5 points atlanta. its located on north moreland avenue off from I 20 east. its a great place for a family outing if you like culture and arts...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or