Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2007, 02:03 PM

28 posts, read 220,093 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend may very well be accepting a position at Georgia Tech, and I was wondering how accepting the Atlanta region is for gay couples. We are in our late 20's, both professionals. Are there any particularly accepting areas? We don't need the Castro, but we would like to live somewhere where we will not be scorned and harassed, and we would like to start a family within the next five years. I'd appreciate any thoughts.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2007, 03:16 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,206,498 times
Decatur, or anywhere near Piedmont Park (Midtown) are your best bets.

Old 03-20-2007, 03:18 PM

1,088 posts, read 6,323,529 times
Atlanta has a large gay population. The most popular gay neighborhood is Midtown (which is located directly across the highway from GaTech. The popular gay neighborhoods spread from there eastward toward Decatur (which has a large Lesbian community). Ansley Park, Virginia Highlands, Inman Park, Chandler Park and Kirkwood are all popular gay neighborhoods.

Old 03-21-2007, 07:09 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,206,498 times
It's Candler Park, not Chandler. Sorry to be nit-picky.

Old 03-22-2007, 10:15 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,758,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan475 View Post
My boyfriend may very well be accepting a position at Georgia Tech, and I was wondering how accepting the Atlanta region is for gay couples.
Well now Duh. Atlanta has been known for many years as being the San Francisco of the South due to the large gay community here. You're gay and never heard this? Fer shame.

Ok, kidding aside, a very good friend of mine is gay, but according to him and my observations knowing him and his friends for years, you need to identify what "type" of gay area you desire around here. For example, the Midtown area has the largest per capita gay population in Atlanta, but it's also known as the party, gay bar, etc., area. What he refers to as the "hey girl" crowd is the most common there. Move slightly over to the Grant Park or College Park area and you find gay couples buying and fixing up older homes, who may be less party-hardy. You can even go out to the burbs and find gay couples who live openly as couple, but they're going to be more the home repair, "machoish" type. I know I'm not using the most politically correct terms here, but I'm just repeating the lingo he uses to describe this when asked.

Bottom line and no judgements: If you are the type of gay couple who like to go out to clubs, or openingly fly a rainbow flag on your porch, then Midtown and Virginia Highlands or that inner area is going to be your best bet in order to avoid potential hassles with other residents. If you're not into the flag waving stuff and are more to yourselves, most areas and even many burbs in Atlanta are usually fine. The guy I know lives about 18 miles out in Smyrna in a predominately "straight" neighborhood and his neighbors all know about him and could care less - but then, he's not an in-your-face type of person, and fixes most of their cars for free, too. LOL If a drag queen moved in his neighborhood, he said most likely they would not be welcomed nearly as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta