Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 06:08 PM

722 posts, read 3,315,157 times

Advertisements

such a fun snowday here at UGA! It's still snowing now and we have at least 4 inches, probably more. It's now a slushy, cold mess on all the roads and sidewalks and will likely freeze over tonight. The weight of the snow snapped huge oak and magnolis branches like twigs and caused a few tress downtown to just fall down completely into the road. We're also experiencing power outages. I haven't seen it this snowy here in years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2009, 07:20 PM

1 posts, read 1,808 times
Here are some pictures from Athens. The snow on the patio furniture shows how much we got.

Old 03-01-2009, 07:57 PM

3,478 posts, read 7,251,864 times
The Vinings area (where I am) got completely screwed on this storm. Not even 1/2" and it all melted in the late afternoon.

Old 03-01-2009, 08:09 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,870,568 times
They were originally predicting the West metro side to get more, but as it turns out I think the East metro got a lot more. We overall only had about 1" in Powder Springs, and half of that is already melted. The area around the Avenues of West Cobb shopping area where I took the car wreck photo was in a small "pocket" of very heavy snow that dumped a lot in that immediate area, but 3 miles North or South of there, only half as much (or less) fell.

Old 03-01-2009, 08:42 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,694,609 times
Meanwhile, in Los Angeles where I am it was a warm 83 degrees in early March! This is too early for that, I mean just ridiculous. It is really a piece of junk because I believe everything has to have its place. Winter has to be cold, not like this.

If it was May or June now, then that is different, but its not. You guys in Atlanta are lucky

Snow cleans the air. It is better, FAR better for the environment too. The piece of junk, dry, dirty dusty air that LA gets sucks beyond what words can describe. I know this is a rant, but I just had to get this out of my system. This is one area that Atlanta beats LA. More consistant temperatures and cleaner air.

Old 03-01-2009, 09:33 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,354,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
I can't even imagine how you could roll over an AWD vehicle in the weather we have today, unless you're just driving like a maniac.
I was out only briefly today, when the roads had become slush, and I was amazed at how stupidly people were driving. While I don't slow down to 20 MPH or anything, I also don't go 60mph on a normal road while covered in slush, which I saw a few doing. One dude was cutting in and out of traffic like it was a clear day. Jerks.

Old 03-01-2009, 10:19 PM

6 posts, read 16,145 times
here are some pics that I took

Old 03-02-2009, 12:14 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,072,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maki-Chan View Post
Hi this is a weird question but i know atlanta has a winter, however i saw that occasionaly in january/february etc the temps will get above freezing and highs even the 60s/70s. So i'm wondering what happens to the trees at that time? I know it only lasts for a few days at a time then gets cold again but do the trees get tricked by the warm weather and start to flower/green and then it will freeze again? Or do you need a few weeks of warm weather for that to happen.
I don't think it's the temperature that triggers budding and flowering, but rather something to do with the length of the day. Or I thought I'd seen that somewhere once.

I am emphatically not a botanist.

Old 03-02-2009, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolyfett View Post
ITS OFFICIAL!!!! TODAY IS THE MOST FUN DAY I HAVE EVER HAD LIVING HERE!!!! THIS SNOW IS GREAT!!! KEEP IT COMING KEEP IT COMING, I HAVE NEVER SEEN SNOW BEFORE IN MY 29 YEARS ON THIS EARTH!!! ITS SNOWING IN THE A!!!!! IM GOING BACK OUTSIDE NOW TO PLAY WITH THE NEIGHBORHOOD KIDS....
I made a few snowballs myself before getting in the car to head to the grocery store this afternoon. Snow!! Yay!!!!

Old 03-02-2009, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolyfett View Post
I can't feel my toes.
That would be the "cold" thingie that some of us have talked about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta