U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-02-2009, 07:38 PM
 
8,863 posts, read 7,996,382 times
Reputation: 2280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richmonder27 View Post
I was born in 1979. BTW- GWTW is one of the greatest films of ALL TIME. It is not boring. I supppose maybe it doesnt have enough explosions for some people, lol

But I thought it was interesting about the people and culture of AT-lanta.
Next time you come ---plan to visit the Atlanta History Center.

Atlanta History Center - Located on 33 acres of history in Buckhead, Atlanta

Be sure to tour the Swan Coach House and have lunch at the Horseradish Grill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-02-2009, 07:59 PM
 
2,758 posts, read 3,229,065 times
Reputation: 1065
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richmonder27 View Post
I was born in 1979. BTW- GWTW is one of the greatest films of ALL TIME. It is not boring. I supppose maybe it doesnt have enough explosions for some people, lol

But I thought it was interesting about the people and culture of AT-lanta.
Scarface was sooooo much better than Gone With I Fell Asleep Again. Like others have said, that movie romanticized Atlanta. Tony was way tougher than Rhett (what kind of name is that?); I also don't expect to see open shooting in Miami like on Scarface.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2009, 08:01 PM
 
Location: ATL
4,688 posts, read 3,060,962 times
Reputation: 1804
I blame the yankees
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2009, 08:46 PM
 
Location: Georgia native in McKinney, TX
4,714 posts, read 4,795,543 times
Reputation: 2851
Go to Charleston or Savannah if you want that Gone with the Wind feel. Hollywoood as has been noted took Mitchell's book and made it an amalgam of the mythical south.

That said, there are quite a number of Greek Revival style mansions with the columns and all things southern scattered about the state. Newnan and LaGrange have several remaining antebellum homes. Here is a picture from the website for Bellevue, Senator Benjamin Harvey Hill's home in LaGrange. Even has a hoop skirted girl.




Next time you are in Atlanta, head down 85 and maybe she will be there waiting for you.

Here's a couple of more pictures from the site, the hoopskirted girl is inside too. It is open for tours, now owned by the LaGrange Woman's Club.

http://www.cityoflagrange.com/businesses/bellevue.html


Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2009, 08:48 PM
 
7,852 posts, read 11,966,429 times
Reputation: 2590
Because Atlanta isn't Gone with the Wind. Atlanta is a major international city...not the 19th century setting for a fictional novel. Even if that 19th century version of Atlanta was all the city ever became, it wouldn't be the same place 150 years later...by the way, did Atlanta feel like Driving Miss Daisy? That's a completely different era and a completely different Atlanta from GWTW - but it's Atlanta too. Who in their right mind comes to a city looking for the 1865 GWTW city or the 1948 Driving Miss Daisy city. It is 2007! If Richmond is stuck in the 19th century okay, but don't expect successful cities to be there with it.

I will explain this to you one more time...here are some prominent pieces of Gone with the Wind in Atlanta:

1. The Margaret Mitchell House and Museum, home of Gone with the Wind author Margaret Mitchell.
House

Margaret Mitchell House, Atlanta on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/56814684@N00/2717246168/ - broken link)

House and Museum at the corner of Peachtree and 10th.

Margaret Mitchell House - Peachtree @ 10th, Midtown Atlanta on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/apexdv/3013080107/ - broken link)


2. Loew's Grand - GWTW world premier theater.

Gone With The Wind Premiere Poster on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/moopus/1342890244/ - broken link)


Unfortunately it burned down in 1978, so this marker is all that's left. The 52-story Georgia Pacific Tower currently occupies the site.


Flickr Photo Download: Loew's Grand Theatre, Atlanta (http://www.flickr.com/photos/bootbearwdc/2073148442/sizes/l/ - broken link)


3. Famous portrait of Vivien Leigh as Scarlett, hanging in the foyer of the Margaret Mitchell House.

Picture of Scarlet inside the doorway on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/7486366@N08/1718978540/in/photostream/ - broken link)


4. Gravesite of Margaret Mitchell in Historic Oakland Cemetery.

Margaret Mitchell gravesite on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/sgiamberdine/2546113527/ - broken link)


5. Restaurant at 25 International Boulevard in Atlanta, named for GWTW character Pittypat Hamilton..."Aunt Pitty", who Scarlett stayed with in Atlanta.

Pittypat's Porch on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/procrast8/207660894/ - broken link) Pittypat's Porch on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/chadandjen07/1498718729/ - broken link)


6. Historic Jonesboro Depot, site of The Road to Tara Museum. Clayton County was also the fictional location of the O'Hara family plantation...Tara.

Jonesboro railroad station on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/webrarian/2355143736/ - broken link)



7. This Atlanta diner loves GWTW.

Gone With the Wind affectionado on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/mogello/67792176/ - broken link)


8. Tara-style Atlanta mansions.

"Gone with the wind" on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/yiyigem/197917176/ - broken link)


Greek House on Peachtree-Dunwoody on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/mattbailey/329544656/ - broken link)


Atlanta GA; Gone with the wind house on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeremiahkarni/3242371827/ - broken link)


Bulloch Hall Roswell, GA on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/7960312@N03/2090599660/ - broken link)


Tarleton Oaks, Barnesville, Georgia 1840 House - Marietta, GA on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/langleyphotos/2362677008/ - broken link)


Dickey House on the antebellum plantation, Stone Mountain Park, Georgia on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/robertlz/2595987006/ - broken link)


Old South in South Georgia on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/13785455@N05/2708278117/ - broken link)


Posted on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/parmo/70391860/ - broken link)


the swan house, IMG09762 on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/xinmincat/106033682/ - broken link)


9. Tara dollhouse with rich plantation-owner dolls.

A model Tara on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/webrarian/2355145302/ - broken link)



10. Always a popular Halloween costume in Atlanta.

Undead Rhett and Scarlett on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/gooniebran/2827292038/ - broken link) Starlett O'Hara on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/eloketh/1353198946/ - broken link)


I Saw It in the Window and I Couldn't Resist on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/radlein/237382085/ - broken link)


11. The Georgian Terrace Hotel (1911), location of the 1939 GWTW World Premier Reception attended by Clark Gable, Vivien Leigh, Olivia de Havilland, and most of the cast of GWTW

Georgian Terrace Hotel (1911), 659 Peachtree Street NE, Atlanta, Georgia on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/sminor/2047785925/ - broken link)


The Georgian Terrace Hotel on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/robertlz/1175792067/ - broken link)


12. GWTW Movie Museum, "Scarlett on the Square"...housed in an 1880 warehouse on Marietta Square.

Gone With The Wind on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/photohound/428806293/ - broken link)


Gone with the Wind on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/kariudo/3000083062/ - broken link)


13. An Atlanta collectibles shop with Rhett & Scarlett in the display window

Comic Shop on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/mhaithaca/409053624/ - broken link)


14. Miss Scarlett's Choclatier

Miss Scarlett, Chocolatier on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/marietta_wood_works/3294234304/ - broken link)


15. Tara Theater, Atlanta's arthouse theater.

02.03.06 on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/urthstripe/95625598/ - broken link)


16. Atlanta antique shop - Scarlett Loves Rhettro



17. Mammy's Kitchen, Atlanta

mammy's kitchen on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/daye/1415230483/ - broken link)


18. Atlanta 4th of July Parade

AtlantaGA_07-2007DSC01424 on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/thebrockmeister/2887279467/ - broken link)


19. Atlanta hoop skirts

Nash Farm Battlefield-Battle of Lovejoy-The Atlanta Campaign 017 on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/billboard3/3025642920/ - broken link)


20. Six Flags

Six Flags Over Georgia on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/jaimeshade/2518451340/ - broken link)


21. Going to the Atlanta steeplechase

Southern Folk on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/dom477/129568226/ - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2009, 08:54 PM
 
Location: Richmond
1,191 posts, read 2,144,687 times
Reputation: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Because Atlanta isn't Gone with the Wind. Atlanta is a major international city...not the 19th century setting for a fictional novel. Even if that 19th century version of Atlanta was all the city ever became, it wouldn't be the same place 150 years later...by the way, did Atlanta feel like Driving Miss Daisy? That's a completely different era and a completely different Atlanta from GWTW - but it's Atlanta too. Who in their right mind comes to a city looking for the 1865 GWTW city or the 1948 Driving Miss Daisy city. It is 2007! If Richmond is stuck in the 19th century okay, but don't expect successful cities to be there with it.

I will explain this to you one more time...here are some prominent pieces of Gone with the Wind in Atlanta:

1. The Margaret Mitchell House and Museum, home of Gone with the Wind author Margaret Mitchell.
House

Margaret Mitchell House, Atlanta on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/56814684@N00/2717246168/ - broken link)

House and Museum at the corner of Peachtree and 10th.

Margaret Mitchell House - Peachtree @ 10th, Midtown Atlanta on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/apexdv/3013080107/ - broken link)


2. Loew's Grand - GWTW world premier theater.

Gone With The Wind Premiere Poster on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/moopus/1342890244/ - broken link)


Unfortunately it burned down in 1978, so this marker is all that's left. The 52-story Georgia Pacific Tower currently occupies the site.


Flickr Photo Download: Loew's Grand Theatre, Atlanta (http://www.flickr.com/photos/bootbearwdc/2073148442/sizes/l/ - broken link)


3. Famous portrait of Vivien Leigh as Scarlett, hanging in the foyer of the Margaret Mitchell House.

Picture of Scarlet inside the doorway on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/7486366@N08/1718978540/in/photostream/ - broken link)


4. Gravesite of Margaret Mitchell in Historic Oakland Cemetery.

Margaret Mitchell gravesite on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/sgiamberdine/2546113527/ - broken link)


5. Restaurant at 25 International Boulevard in Atlanta, named for GWTW character Pittypat Hamilton..."Aunt Pitty", who Scarlett stayed with in Atlanta.

Pittypat's Porch on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/procrast8/207660894/ - broken link) Pittypat's Porch on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/chadandjen07/1498718729/ - broken link)


6. Historic Jonesboro Depot, site of The Road to Tara Museum. Clayton County was also the fictional location of the O'Hara family plantation...Tara.

Jonesboro railroad station on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/webrarian/2355143736/ - broken link)



7. This Atlanta diner loves GWTW.

Gone With the Wind affectionado on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/mogello/67792176/ - broken link)


8. Tara-style Atlanta mansions.

"Gone with the wind" on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/yiyigem/197917176/ - broken link)


Greek House on Peachtree-Dunwoody on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/mattbailey/329544656/ - broken link)


Atlanta GA; Gone with the wind house on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeremiahkarni/3242371827/ - broken link)


Bulloch Hall Roswell, GA on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/7960312@N03/2090599660/ - broken link)


Tarleton Oaks, Barnesville, Georgia 1840 House - Marietta, GA on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/langleyphotos/2362677008/ - broken link)


Dickey House on the antebellum plantation, Stone Mountain Park, Georgia on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/robertlz/2595987006/ - broken link)


Old South in South Georgia on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/13785455@N05/2708278117/ - broken link)


Posted on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/parmo/70391860/ - broken link)


the swan house, IMG09762 on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/xinmincat/106033682/ - broken link)


9. Tara dollhouse with rich plantation-owner dolls.

A model Tara on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/webrarian/2355145302/ - broken link)



10. Always a popular Halloween costume in Atlanta.

Undead Rhett and Scarlett on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/gooniebran/2827292038/ - broken link) Starlett O'Hara on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/eloketh/1353198946/ - broken link)


I Saw It in the Window and I Couldn't Resist on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/radlein/237382085/ - broken link)


11. The Georgian Terrace Hotel (1911), location of the 1939 GWTW World Premier Reception attended by Clark Gable, Vivien Leigh, Olivia de Havilland, and most of the cast of GWTW

Georgian Terrace Hotel (1911), 659 Peachtree Street NE, Atlanta, Georgia on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/sminor/2047785925/ - broken link)


The Georgian Terrace Hotel on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/robertlz/1175792067/ - broken link)


12. GWTW Movie Museum, "Scarlett on the Square"...housed in an 1880 warehouse on Marietta Square.

Gone With The Wind on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/photohound/428806293/ - broken link)


Gone with the Wind on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/kariudo/3000083062/ - broken link)


13. An Atlanta collectibles shop with Rhett & Scarlett in the display window

Comic Shop on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/mhaithaca/409053624/ - broken link)


14. Miss Scarlett's Choclatier

Miss Scarlett, Chocolatier on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/marietta_wood_works/3294234304/ - broken link)


15. Tara Theater, Atlanta's arthouse theater.

02.03.06 on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/urthstripe/95625598/ - broken link)


16. Atlanta antique shop - Scarlett Loves Rhettro



17. Mammy's Kitchen, Atlanta

mammy's kitchen on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/daye/1415230483/ - broken link)


18. Atlanta 4th of July Parade

AtlantaGA_07-2007DSC01424 on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/thebrockmeister/2887279467/ - broken link)


19. Atlanta hoop skirts

Nash Farm Battlefield-Battle of Lovejoy-The Atlanta Campaign 017 on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/billboard3/3025642920/ - broken link)


20. Six Flags

Six Flags Over Georgia on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/jaimeshade/2518451340/ - broken link)


21. Going to the Atlanta steeplechase

Southern Folk on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/dom477/129568226/ - broken link)

Now thats more like it ! I wish I had seen all that. Again, I was only in Atlanta 4 days. Ill have to drive down again some time .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2009, 10:06 PM
 
Location: sowf jawja
1,887 posts, read 4,803,707 times
Reputation: 893
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richmonder27 View Post
I am from Richmond- so I am naturally used to a lot of Southern hospitality. . . .
The next time I'm up there, I'll have to get you to point me to the hospitable people. I've never had people be as rude to me as they were throughout Virginia; I'm sure they were all yankee transplants though. I did meet several nice people, but its unfortunate they seemed to be outnumbered by the not-so-nice people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2009, 10:12 PM
 
Location: sowf jawja
1,887 posts, read 4,803,707 times
Reputation: 893
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
. . . . It is 2007! . . . . .

so, are you like Keanu Reeves in "The Lake House", but instead of a mailbox we're using the CD forum?







----->> its important to note that i have a wife; i don't want you people thinking i watch movies like this because i enjoy them <<-----
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2009, 12:40 AM
 
Location: Richmond
1,191 posts, read 2,144,687 times
Reputation: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by southgeorgia View Post
The next time I'm up there, I'll have to get you to point me to the hospitable people. I've never had people be as rude to me as they were throughout Virginia; I'm sure they were all yankee transplants though. I did meet several nice people, but its unfortunate they seemed to be outnumbered by the not-so-nice people.

Well ditto for me. I surely didnt experience much Southern hospitality in Atlanta.... Was almost run over a few times, and didnt dare look at anybody on The Marta for fear of having my throat slit. Im sure y'all arent all yankee carpetbaggers , lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2009, 02:41 AM
 
7,852 posts, read 11,966,429 times
Reputation: 2590
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richmonder27 View Post
Well ditto for me. I surely didnt experience much Southern hospitality in Atlanta.... Was almost run over a few times, and didnt dare look at anybody on The Marta for fear of having my throat slit. Im sure y'all arent all yankee carpetbaggers , lol
It's very common practice to mind your own business on big-city public transportation...not that anyone is thinking about killing you, but you have to realize you aren't in Smallville anymore. It's not a matter of hospitality - there are plenty of other places and situations where you can expect southern hospitality - but there are too many dishonest/desperate/opportunistic/aggressive type people lurking around, so on MARTA it behooves you to quietly and politely enjoy the ride.

My rules when I'm Downtown, on the train, or anywhere with a cross section of every kind of person imagineable ranging from the best to the worst of society:

1. don't draw unnecessary attention to myself
2. avoid blatantly staring at anyone
3. have something to read/concentrate on
4. mind my own business
5. ignore most attempts to start a conversation - there is often an ulterior motive of some kind
6. avoid any loud or confrontational people/situations
7. remember to use good judgement in all situations


I'm very social and love conversation in the right environment, but I figure I'm only on the train for 10-15 minutes or less at a time...so it's better to enjoy some quiet solitude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top