Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 08:52 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,798,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Helen is relatively cute, though, even though it's also a heavily commercialized tourist trap.

My few pictures don't do it justice ... we were just driving through on a very busy weekend, and the weather was gray and humid. Since I was using my $70 Aiptek camera, I didn't even bother to open the window. How sad is that?
I think kids would probably enjoy Helen more than Dahlonega...but both are unique towns. If you're going to be in Atlanta for a year you could easily see both.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2009, 12:47 PM

49 posts, read 175,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
Minor league baseball games can be fun for kids too because they can really get up close to the field and the players and you don't invest a fortune in tickets and parking. If you are in the Columbus Georgia area try to catch a Columbus Catfish game. Their historic ball field is fun to explore and not an overwhelming baseball experience for little kids.
that's a great idea! i've never seen a baseball nor american footbal game. and i should. how more american can it get?

btw: last weekend i've made some american experience progress
- harlem globetrotters game / show in philips arena
- historic roswell, mill and covered bridge
- dahlonega
- helen and unicoi
all great places to be! thanks for tips. it was well worth to go and see all those
and spending a lot of time in real bavaria, i can openly say that helen only faintly resembles some of it
bavarian houses are so much bigger and rarely built of styrofoam

looking forward to more suggestions

Old 03-12-2009, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmusket View Post
Athens, GA is a beautiful little city and only an hours drive away. To experience an American tradition, try attending a Georgia Bulldogs home football game in the fall. To avopid the crowds, go during the summer when school is out. Lots to see: University Campus, State Botanical Gardens, wonderful downtown with great pubs and cafes.
Madison, GA is about an hour east of Atlanta on I20...great collection Southern Antebellum arhcitecture. Go for the tour of homes. Quaint antique shops.
Chattanooga is always a nice daytrip.. only about and hour and half from Atlanta..just south of Chattanooga on the Georgia side is Cloudland Canyon State Park. Rent one of the very affordable cabins for the weekend and hike the rim trail... then hike to the canyon floor to see three waterfalls.. beautiful scenery.
Dahlonega is also nice..
Also visit Highlands, NC, Asheville, NC and the smokey Mountain Natl park. The drive between asheville and Smokey Mtn Park along the Blue Ridge Prkwy is particularly stunning (just make sure to pick a weekend with clear skies)...stop at Indian Graveyard(not an actual Indian Graveyard) stop along parkway and pick wild blueberries and swim under a waterfall.
gosh
that's one big list
one year may not be enough

thanks - i'll try to see as many of those as possible
smokeys / blue ridge are a sure hit
chattanooga as well
i've not thought about athens or madison previously but now i surely will

Old 03-12-2009, 12:55 PM

now that i think of it, i would also love to find at least one historic belvedere-style, magnolia-shaded cotton plantation

is it just a picture of long gone past, or do i get to see some of this here still?

and one intriguing thing - my office is on peachtree, my card plate calls this a peach state. and where are those peach orchards if i may ask?

Old 03-13-2009, 09:24 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,477,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darekk View Post
now that i think of it, i would also love to find at least one historic belvedere-style, magnolia-shaded cotton plantation

is it just a picture of long gone past, or do i get to see some of this here still?

and one intriguing thing - my office is on peachtree, my card plate calls this a peach state. and where are those peach orchards if i may ask?
They are south of Atlanta. Dickey Farms is located in Musella, GA, not far from Macon--south on I75, about 1 1/2 hrs from Atlanta.
http://www.gapeaches.com/

The South Carolina peaches are good, too. In the mid summer you can buy them at roadside stands around Savannah and maybe other places. These peaches are large and sweet.

You also might want to visit Vidalia, GA--home of the vidalia onion. It is much sweeter than a regular onion.
http://www.vidaliaonion.org/

Madison, GA--south and east of Atlanta on I20 would be a good area for the old Southern homes.
http://www.madisonga.org/

A trip to Savannah would be fun for many reasons but you would definitely find the antebellum homes there.
http://gosoutheast.about.com/od/phot...toric-Home.htm

Last edited by TakeAhike; 03-13-2009 at 09:46 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta