Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 07:50 PM

49 posts, read 175,121 times

Advertisements

hi all,

i am a foreigner, who recently moved into atlanta. i plan to stay whole 2009 in u.s. (i'm here on business), and then head back home to europe. me and my family (wife, and 2 boys aged 3 and 5) want to make the most of it in terms of sightseeing and enjoying the stay. we are very excited to be here. each weekend we try to make short one-day get-aways.

and here comes the question to you: where would you suggest us to go? we love nature, lakes, mountains and parks but we also enjoy historic towns and typical american experiences. we are less likely to see museums as our kids easily get bored in those. any tips? anything within two hours, max three away from atlanta? the shorther the drive the better.

i have some 40 weekends left in here - let's find a good use for them!

darekk

btw: in-town attractions are also welcome - my kids love playgrounds, so this might be a guiding suggestion for those
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2009, 08:05 PM

74 posts, read 342,218 times
You might wanna extend your drive time to go too places like Savannah (GA) Jacksonville FL, Destin FL (beaches) & St. Augustine FL (historical city). Your family probably already been to Stone Mountain. Nashville Tennessee isn't far away from Atlanta.

Old 03-06-2009, 08:10 PM

49 posts, read 175,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloRida2Atl View Post
You might wanna extend your drive time to go too places like Savannah (GA) Jacksonville FL, Destin FL (beaches) & St. Augustine FL (historical city). Your family probably already been to Stone Mountain. Nashville Tennessee isn't far away from Atlanta.

we went to stone mountain - end of january i think it was
everything was closed back-then except of "snow mountain" - and well, coming from much colder climate, this was not much of a deal

but indeed park looks great
we are looking forward to its reopenning

Old 03-06-2009, 08:58 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,798,987 times
Asheville, NC...a 3 hour drive from Atlanta through the scenic Appalachian Mountains. Asheville, North Carolina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Attractions - Biltmore Estate; historic art-deco downtown; Grove Park Inn; Blue Ridge Parkway; major hub for whitewater rafting; thriving arts community; North Carolina Arboretum.

Biltmore Estate, summer home of George W. Vanderbilt and family, completed in 1895.

File:Biltmore Estate.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-06-2009, 09:09 PM

Chattanooga, TN - 1.5 hour drive through northwest Georgia. Chattanooga, Tennessee - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Attractions - Tennessee Riverwalk, Lookout Mountain, Rock City, Ruby Falls, Tennessee Aquarium, Raccoon Mountain Caverns, historic downtown, Hunter Museum of Art, etc.

Tennessee Aquarium...it's freshwater, and very different from the Georgia Aquarium.

File:Tennesseeaquarium.JPG - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-06-2009, 09:25 PM

Savannah, GA - 4 hour drive from Atlanta (and well worth it)...Colonial coastal city established in 1733, has the largest National Landmark Historic District in the U.S. Savannah, Georgia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Attractions - internationally known for architecture and history; Squares of Savannah; home of Girl Scouts founder Juliette Gordon Low; historic homes, churches, and cemeteries; Tybee Island; Telfair Academy of Arts and Sciences Museum; City Market; Riverfront Plaza; etc.

Reynolds Square, one of 24 public squares designed by founder James Oglethorpe.

File:JohnWesleySavannah.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-06-2009, 10:04 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,872,549 times
1.5 hours or less North of Atlanta is the small 19th century gold rush town of "Dahlonega" (duh-lawn-eh-gah). Not a huge place, but it's a neat little town square which came into being in the late 1800s during a large gold rush in the area. The Square is now populated by artist's studios and craft shops, etc. Well worth a full day up there.

Old 03-07-2009, 01:32 AM

16,679 posts, read 29,499,000 times
I highly recommend going to Savannah. It's becoming a "must-see" on the international travel circuit.

Old 03-07-2009, 07:29 AM

21,870 posts, read 15,081,029 times
I know that you stated that your kids are keen on museums, but there is a museum for kids. Imagine It! CMA - Splash You can then go to the Georgia Aquarium | Atlanta Attractions | Things To Do Atlanta, The World of Coca-Cola® - Atlanta, GA, Welcome to Centennial Olympic Park and CNN.com - Breaking News, U.S., World, Weather, Entertainment & Video News as they are all within walking distance of one another.

Center for Puppetry Arts_Home is a hidden gem in my opinion. Jim Henson (The Muppet's) loved the museum and donated a lot of puppets to the their museum.

I agree with other posters, Savannah and Asheville are wonderful trips too.

Come to the Inman Park Festival the last weekend of April. Come on Saturday and watch the parade! Inman Park Festival

Old 03-07-2009, 07:59 AM

23,442 posts, read 44,050,291 times
Burt's Pumpkin Patch between Ellijay and Dahlonega is a treat for the kids in the Fall.

www.burtsfarm.com

Oh, and don't forget that the Dogwood Festival is coming up in mid-April!

www.dogwood.org

Callaway Gardens (1.5 hrs SW of Atlanta) can be a lot of fun, too.

www.callawaygardens.com/callaway/info/things.aspx (http://www.callawaygardens.com/callaway/info/things.aspx - broken link)

Last edited by Iconographer; 03-07-2009 at 08:09 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta