U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2009, 09:52 PM

9,190 posts, read 29,570,003 times

Advertisements

Many of what we consider "ranches" (in the traditional style with three bedrooms on one side, two baths typical, etc) were built here before 1989. Most in the late 50s to late 60s. Biggest drawback - lack of privacy since the bedrooms are clustered together, and as someone mentioned above, maybe safety issues due to questionable building materials. However, many of them are brick, so they're built overall more solidly than newer ones.

Now, there are some traditional 3BR/2BA 1 level homes that some call "modern ranches" that were built later, and still are built today, but their design isn't "classic ranch", as many times the master bedroom will be on the opposite side of the house as the other bedrooms, and it may not have the typical rectangular shape, either. Those become more popular in the mid-80s and to this day are still being built in the burbs, so there's still a demand for them obviously. Due to the bedrooms being separated, there's more privacy than older traditional ranches, so they're easier to resell (especially if they have a basement). But in my opinion, many of these are not built as solidly in some cases than older ranches, so make sure you get a good inspector.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2009, 10:34 PM

11,319 posts, read 21,889,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlzBest26 View Post
i guess no one is reading my initial post...i humbly said 1989 and later ranches..i have no interest in historical ranches,fixer-uppers or anything that is older than 20 yrs...reason being all the updates to building codes, wear and tear etc..
I suspect that some of the older brick ranch homes are actually constructed more solidly than most newer ones.

We rented such a house when we first moved down to the Atlanta area ...it had a full walk-out basement in addition to the upstairs ... and it was built like a tank and on a HUGE lot.

Old 03-08-2009, 03:38 AM

1,352 posts, read 3,769,708 times
new 1.5 story (15ft ceilings etc) ranches are in demand but are expensive to construct and lack the separation of levels many desire. they simply need more land to spread out properly and new subs are allergic to lots larger than .000000000001 acres

old traditional brick ranches are a dime a dozen, hard to impossible to refurb to modern layout and often in areas that are being developed as commercial. so not much demand for those

Old 03-08-2009, 04:53 AM

7,848 posts, read 17,801,972 times
I've seen a few ranch conversions around Atlanta...I found photos of a couple of examples:

This...

Chastain Ranch - Before on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/homerebuilders/988236958/in/set-72157601175574176/ - broken link)

became this...

Chastain Ranch - After on Flickr - Photo Sharing! Chastain Ranch - After on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/homerebuilders/1030024886/in/set-72157601175574176/ - broken link)

This...

became this...

Ranch Conversions | Home Remodeling and Custom Homes in Atlanta Georgia

Old 03-08-2009, 07:50 AM

20,895 posts, read 32,882,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlzBest26 View Post
i guess no one is reading my initial post...i humbly said 1989 and later ranches..i have no interest in historical ranches,fixer-uppers or anything that is older than 20 yrs...reason being all the updates to building codes, wear and tear etc..
Well, excuse us...
I'm not aware of too many ranches being built after 1989 (or after 1965, for that matter)...land and construction costs were too high at that point in time for most builders to create that large a footprint, so the houses you will see from that era and beyond are generally two-story...although the "master on main" concept became popular in the 80's here.

Old 03-08-2009, 09:10 AM

2,857 posts, read 6,253,833 times
Another common complaint about the more modern ranches is that the garage is usually pretty prominently featured and often opens facing the streen which many buyers don't care for. Of course the older 40s and 50s ranches got around that problem by frequently putting the garage under the house as part of the large basement (a "drive-under"). Having lived in a drive under for many years, hauling groceries, car seats, sleeping babies... up the stairs is NO FUN so I see why the garages are often placed level with the ranch now, but it isn't always a good look.

In summary, I would say that there aren't a lot of current (less than 20 year old) ranches in Atlanta and the ones that are out there are typically in poorer quality subdivisions in the suburbs. I really can't think of any ranch homes that I have seen near the Perimenter.

Old 03-10-2009, 07:26 AM

3,060 posts, read 6,941,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Perhaps I am the only one, but I do feel a little gobsmacked when I take the time to offer my opinion on a subject (especially the first one out to help a thread get a little airplay) and then have the OP come back and tell me that my experience and knowledge on the subject is wrong... O well, will try and remember this name so I don't give a wrong opinion another time.
Are you having a bad week Saintmarks? Seeing a bit of a trend . . .

Old 03-11-2009, 01:37 AM

6,891 posts, read 9,584,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineleith View Post
Are you having a bad week Saintmarks? Seeing a bit of a trend . . .
I thought you'd be in the UK by now. You gonna come to Atlanta and tell us how to post here too?

Old 03-11-2009, 07:17 AM

3,060 posts, read 6,941,136 times
WHo's "us"? Just, out of curiosty, checking out your other posts to see if I am the only one that takes you "the wrong way".

Old 03-11-2009, 10:36 AM

6,891 posts, read 9,584,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineleith View Post
WHo's "us"? Just, out of curiosty, checking out your other posts to see if I am the only one that takes you "the wrong way".
AtlantaGreg, I have a stalker. What do I do?

Please, someone, back to ranch houses in Atlanta......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or