U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 11:51 AM
JPD

11,871 posts, read 14,486,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
AtlantaGreg, I have a stalker. What do I do?

Please, someone, back to ranch houses in Atlanta......

Get a room you two.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2009, 12:35 PM

20 posts, read 51,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlzBest26 View Post
we keep hearing from people that ranches (1989+) are not popular and would be hard to resell.

can i get some opinion on yay and nays. what is it about them that people love or hate? with the aging baby boomer i assumed they will be becoming popular.

thanks

It seems to me that there is too much competition with newer homes with more amenities and use of space----perhaps larger kitchens, much larger master suites with owner's privacy, use of better or more attractive materials, higher ceilings in most cases, newer master baths with larger vanities, and in many cases much much larger closet areas esp for the owner's suite------costs are also a factor in that a two story house can provide the buyer far more square footage because of the builder is building 'only one roof', whereby the same square footage under one spread out ROOF is far more expensive, given the fact that the ROOF is one of the most expensive components in building.

From 1989 forward, there were HUGE leaps in ventilation technologies...a/c, and heat, "SEER" requirements in some jurisdictions, etc, and some of these ranches have really POOR HVAC sysyems or were still upgraded to inferior SEER rated products, when compared to newer and even CHEAPER/smaller homes that were being constructed...

My house in Vinings essentially was a 2 and one-half LEVEL house with the first level was mostly totally a 'daylight basement' complelely finished out thereby providing a total LIVING sq footage way in excess of 5300 feet under the footprint of a single roof..

The price of a 'conventionally framed roof' became almost prohibitively HIGH later....many of these builders in Atlanta, Brimingham, Nashville, Memphis had a tradition of never using "truss design" roof construction...WHY ?? because that's what they were used to doing, and many builders scoffed at 'engineered truss applications' which in my opinion is STUPID given the technology or design and calculating load strength by using very high tech compositie materials together with CAD, not just stress-rated Southern Yellow Pine----the builders don't like 'change'------just like only a few yers ago builders (res) NEVER used METAL studs-----why ?? tradition, and the wood industry lobby and stranglehold on the residential construction market----------so, things changed- now it's no big deal in using roof/floor joist systems etc---------but many things in the South, changed SLOWLY

My feedback

Last edited by Northfielder; 03-11-2009 at 12:49 PM..

Old 03-11-2009, 02:45 PM

9,190 posts, read 29,601,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
AtlantaGreg, I have a stalker. What do I do?
Load up the sawed-off with the good ammo.

And yes, on that note - everyone back to the topic.

Old 03-11-2009, 03:30 PM

12,305 posts, read 10,076,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northfielder View Post
From 1989 forward, there were HUGE leaps in ventilation technologies...a/c, and heat, "SEER" requirements in some jurisdictions, etc, and some of these ranches have really POOR HVAC sysyems or were still upgraded to inferior SEER rated products, when compared to newer and even CHEAPER/smaller homes that were being constructed...
What are SEER requirements? Educate me.

Old 03-11-2009, 11:57 PM

11,319 posts, read 21,916,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
What are SEER requirements? Educate me.
It's an energy efficiency measurement for air conditioners and heat pumps, I think. I know when I was shopping for a new air conditioner in the Twin Cities the SEER rating was something all manufacturers seemed to be pushing, with higher SEER ratings being better.

SEER ratings - Google Search

Old 03-12-2009, 12:06 AM

1,304 posts, read 3,271,298 times
French Provencal is what killed the Ranch Home.. Look around metro Atlant, a... almost every new home is French Provencal..you see this all over the country but especially in the south. You still get lots of ranches in Florida because of the older population who want everything on one level.
I'm not a big fan of The French Provencal style... I prefer Craftsman bungalows.

Old 03-12-2009, 07:38 AM

20,974 posts, read 32,966,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmusket View Post
French Provencal is what killed the Ranch Home.. Look around metro Atlant, a... almost every new home is French Provencal..you see this all over the country but especially in the south. You still get lots of ranches in Florida because of the older population who want everything on one level.
I'm not a big fan of The French Provencal style... I prefer Craftsman bungalows.
Where you really see this style predominate is in the suburbs of New Orleans, Baton Rouge, Biloxi, Gulfport and Mobile.

Old 03-12-2009, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
It's an energy efficiency measurement for air conditioners and heat pumps, I think. I know when I was shopping for a new air conditioner in the Twin Cities the SEER rating was something all manufacturers seemed to be pushing, with higher SEER ratings being better.

SEER ratings - Google Search
Ahhhhhhhhhhh! Explains why I've never heard of it. No one has central air or heat pumps where I'm from. It would cost far too much and in the winter you may freeze since it's sooooo freaking cold here.

Thanks! It's nice reading on this forum. There are several forums on city-data where I would have been attacked for asking a simple question and it has happened so thank you Georgia!

Old 03-12-2009, 10:34 PM

6,913 posts, read 9,602,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Ahhhhhhhhhhh! Explains why I've never heard of it. No one has central air or heat pumps where I'm from. It would cost far too much and in the winter you may freeze since it's sooooo freaking cold here.

Thanks! It's nice reading on this forum. There are several forums on city-data where I would have been attacked for asking a simple question and it has happened so thank you Georgia!
Southern Hospitality in action! I love the Atlanta thread.

Old 03-12-2009, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Southern Hospitality in action! I love the Atlanta thread.
I love this group!!! So helpful. It's a nice change from some of the others I've been reading lately. Those groups made me question what Southern Hospitality was.....sad very sad. It's nice to see that it really does exist.

Last edited by ss20ts; 03-12-2009 at 11:27 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or