Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 05:10 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,808,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
...racist.
See...they still exist, but the majority of posts in this thread have been positive and constructive.

Old 03-08-2009, 05:45 PM

750 posts, read 2,276,501 times
Does this work both ways?

Quote:
Good response. Saved me some energy. It's amazing how one can manipulate data/info to suit their views and function in denial.

Old 03-08-2009, 06:00 PM

281 posts, read 617,381 times
Quote:
...racist.
What was racist about my reply? Is crime not worse in black neighborhoods, or is it my imagination? Please provide statistics to back up your point if I am mistaken.

Old 03-08-2009, 06:52 PM

16,700 posts, read 29,521,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
See...they still exist, but the majority of posts in this thread have been positive and constructive.
Yep...they have. It's unfortunate that it got spoiled...

Old 03-08-2009, 07:39 PM

1,104 posts, read 1,521,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psykomonkee View Post
My statement first: In my experience, I find that blacks and latinos (depending on where) are more likely to WELCOME different races into their 'kept' neighborhoods than whites and asians. My opinion.

*When I say "KEPT" neighborhoods, I am talking about when a neighborhood is identified as an all white area, all black area, all chinese area, all Italian area, all Polynesian area, etc...

The question: Who agrees and who disagrees with my statement?

###We can be honest and adult about this without getting upset and offended, right?###

The truth or falseness of my statement may vary depending on city, so that's something we can discuss.
I would think that Asians and Latinos are more accepting. Then Whites, then Blacks in that order.

Old 03-08-2009, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psykomonkee View Post
Gotta disagree with you there. Prejudice means to PRE judge. If a person PRE judges another, they never had the chance to learn the class level of that person. Classism is a cover-up.
In all honesty, being prejudice is natural for anyone and people need to stop being ashamed to be prejudice. I pre judge everyone I meet silently...What I find a lot is that stereotypes and reputations are very similar. Everyone wants to be an individual but, how when your race GIVES you a reputation/stereotype that we all have to work to beat. It is natural to assume or be prejudice. It is strange how some people refuse to understand other people. Understanding why whites don't want black around helps to sway prejudice and visa versa. No one wants to understand anything, everyone want their way to be THE WAY. All races have a reputation for something, some negative some positive, but no group of people got thier reputations by accident.

Old 03-08-2009, 08:20 PM

Quote:
It's natural human behavior. In certain situations it is very common and accepted to prejudge...like picking out foods. But when it comes to prejudging a person's character based on a visual characteristic and preconceived notions about all people with that same characteristic - not quite the same thing as picking out foods.
That is why we have 6 senses. Pre Judging on visuals alone is just lack of patients IMO. I'm looking, listening, smelling & thinking about people I meet. Sometimes a handshake or dap can tell me a lot about a dude, as well as body language from a woman. I am judging the whole time. I don't want to be around people I don't like, there are way too many people that I may like that I have not meet yet, I expect people to judge me as well when they meet me.

Old 03-08-2009, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merin View Post
For the most part I totally agree with this. I have found that lower class people and/or those with very limited exposure are the ones who have a harder time accepting those of other races.
Rep point earned! Here is a cookie!

Limited exposure! I like that Merin.....yea instead of calling people ghetto, Ill call them the "Limitedly Exposed"

Old 03-08-2009, 08:34 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,808,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolyfett View Post
That is why we have 6 senses. Pre Judging on visuals alone is just lack of patients IMO. I'm looking, listening, smelling & thinking about people I meet. Sometimes a handshake or dap can tell me a lot about a dude, as well as body language from a woman. I am judging the whole time. I don't want to be around people I don't like, there are way too many people that I may like that I have not meet yet, I expect people to judge me as well when they meet me.
But...you don't automatically judge everyone of a certain color do you? or anyone with a mustache? or anyone wearing red? or everyone taller than 6'?

There are certain things about strangers that can help you decide quickly whether you want to be around them, but most visuals are only stereotypes and can cause you to misjudge based on common prejudices. That's where it can really be a problem...

Old 03-08-2009, 08:47 PM

281 posts, read 617,381 times
Quote:
What has been constructive about the previous posts? Nothing I saw. Mostly bashing white people for not wanting to live in majority black areas. Why should white people want to live around black people? I can't think of any advantages, but lots of disadvantages. And I stand by my post that I would be robbed within two months of moving into southwest Atlanta. Heck, the guys from the Fourth-ward had me on a rotating three-month schedule for breaking into my car, and I live in a nice intown neighborhood. Sorry, but black males are responsible for the vast majority of violent crime and burglaries in the City of Atlanta and till that is addressed by the black community they should expect prejudice from white people. My wife and I have both had guns held to our heads by black males in seperate incidents, never noticed a problem with any other minority. And feel free to call me a racist, I really couldn't care less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta