Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2007, 08:06 AM

786 posts, read 4,731,745 times

Advertisements

I remember flying into Atlanta in the "good old days" in the 1970s and was so impressed with the beauty of the area. There was so many trees and forested areas in the greater Atlanta area. Move ahead to the year 2007 and much of the beauty and forest cover is gone. I am just amazed how how many trees have been cut down in the greater Atlanta area in the last 30 years. Maybe millions.

Does this bother anyone but me or do you just see it as part of progress?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2007, 08:15 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,872,549 times
It's bothersome, but there's not a lot you can do about it. Many of the elected politicians here (as elsewhere) are buddies or related to developers and they have that, "You scratch my back I'll scratch yours", mentality. Hence, the reason there are few if any regulations requiring a certain amount of greenspace is kept unharmed on each site, and, the reason you see tons of subdivision ad signs littering the sides of the roads that are left alone.

Overall, Atlanta is still a very "green" city compared to places like Dallas or Houston, but it's getting more sparse as time and development continues.

Old 03-22-2007, 08:27 AM

1,025 posts, read 4,094,353 times
I've bought all the land that I can afford to hold (aside from my "homestead" very little, due to property taxes). I don't believe in telling others what to do with their own property, but yes, it has been sad to see so much clear cutting in recent years.

Old 03-22-2007, 08:39 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,288,075 times
The area stretching from the Gwinnett county line (at Lawrenceville Hwy and Jimmy Carter blvd) all the way to the Fox Theater still looks pretty much the same as it has for decades in terms of trees/greenery and developement. This is the area where I feel at home. I wouldn't even consider living in Gwinnett, where they never met a tree or a forest they didn't want to cut down (have you seen "Scenic Highway" lately?).

Old 03-22-2007, 04:53 PM

612 posts, read 2,777,796 times
I live in Gwinnett and have not seen so many trees since I lived in the boondocks in upstate NY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: