Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 03:20 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,810,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psykomonkee View Post
I guess, the question really is which city nearby Atlanta will have the highest population and most influential business center 20 years from now?

Will there be a downtown Athens skyline comparable to other sidekick cities?
Will Cobb incorporate into a city and become that sidekick? Will Duluth become the 2nd city?

I agree that a sidekick city must be one nearby. Chattanooga and Macon may be a little too far. Check it out on a map in comparison to other cities with their sidekicks.

(I'm not saying Atlanta needs one or WILL have one. But if it were to have one, who?)
Cobb is incorporated in a few places:

Marietta - pop. 70,000
Kennesaw - pop. 32,000
Smyrna - pop. 50,000
Acworth - pop. 20,000
Powder Springs - pop. 15,000
Mableton - pop. 30,000

Athens is the quintessential college town...I don't see much of a skyline developing there. Athens is 73 miles from Atlanta - just a little over an hour away. Macon is only 78 miles from Atlanta - just a little over an hour away...and Macon has a bit of a skyline.

macon on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmarney/36730352/ - broken link) P1030646 on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/ktina/2261520294/ - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2009, 06:46 PM

2,061 posts, read 3,737,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Newark is New York's sidekick?
Lol... Did you think otherwise?

Old 03-08-2009, 06:49 PM

2,061 posts, read 3,737,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Cobb is incorporated in a few places:

Marietta - pop. 70,000
Kennesaw - pop. 32,000
Smyrna - pop. 50,000
Acworth - pop. 20,000
Powder Springs - pop. 15,000
Mableton - pop. 30,000

Athens is the quintessential college town...I don't see much of a skyline developing there. Athens is 73 miles from Atlanta - just a little over an hour away. Macon is only 78 miles from Atlanta - just a little over an hour away...and Macon has a bit of a skyline.
Got it. Hadn't realized that Macon is just as close as Athens. How close is Fort Worth to Dallas?
Or Baltimore to DC?

I am aware that there are many incorporated cities in Cobb Co., but my comment actually spawns from an article that I read years ago about a push in unincorporated Cobb County to incorporate all of the remaining county land into one city. Probably to be called Cobb City. I will search for the article.

Old 03-08-2009, 07:21 PM

2,531 posts, read 6,251,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psykomonkee View Post
Got it. Hadn't realized that Macon is just as close as Athens. How close is Fort Worth to Dallas?
Or Baltimore to DC?

I am aware that there are many incorporated cities in Cobb Co., but my comment actually spawns from an article that I read years ago about a push in unincorporated Cobb County to incorporate all of the remaining county land into one city. Probably to be called Cobb City. I will search for the article.
DT Dallas is 30 miles from DT Ft. Worth.

DC is 38 miles to Baltimore.

So they're not as far from each other as Atlanta is to Athens or Macon.

Ft. Worth has some dependence on Dallas due to many people in Tarrant County commuting to Dallas County for jobs. Even though they're separate cities, they are a united front, the Metroplex.

Baltimore and DC are about as different as night and day. Most attempts to unite the two have been futile because they're two totally different areas in terms of culture and mindset. DC is White Collar, cosmopolitan and a bit elitist in a way. Baltimore is a more blue-collar, working class port city and has more in common with say, Philly than it does with Washington. However, there are people that commute from Balto to DC and vice-versa because Balto is cheaper than DC, and there are some places like Columbia and Laurel that are about midway between the two that are ideal for people who work in both.

As for Atlanta, the only city that I see that could be a 'sidekick' would be either Sandy Springs or Marietta. BUT, I don't see why a sidekick would come up anytime soon. This is like saying Gary, Milwaukee or Rockford or Schaumburg are "sidekicks" to Chicago. No dice. Atlanta is the dominant city in the region, whether people like it or not.

And unincorporated Cobb incorporating into a city may be the largest city in Georgia, but think about this, when you think of Florida, would you think of Jacksonville (largest city that got that way due to annexing the county) or Miami (part of the much larger South Florida metro area) first? Thought so.

Old 03-08-2009, 07:25 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,526,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
DT Dallas is 30 miles from DT Ft. Worth.

DC is 38 miles to Baltimore.

So they're not as far from each other as Atlanta is to Athens or Macon.

Ft. Worth has some dependence on Dallas due to many people in Tarrant County commuting to Dallas County for jobs. Even though they're separate cities, they are a united front, the Metroplex.

Baltimore and DC are about as different as night and day. Most attempts to unite the two have been futile because they're two totally different areas in terms of culture and mindset. DC is White Collar, cosmopolitan and a bit elitist in a way. Baltimore is a more blue-collar, working class port city and has more in common with say, Philly than it does with Washington. However, there are people that commute from Balto to DC and vice-versa because Balto is cheaper than DC, and there are some places like Columbia and Laurel that are about midway between the two that are ideal for people who work in both.

As for Atlanta, the only city that I see that could be a 'sidekick' would be either Sandy Springs or Marietta. BUT, I don't see why a sidekick would come up anytime soon. This is like saying Gary, Milwaukee or Rockford or Schaumburg are "sidekicks" to Chicago. No dice. Atlanta is the dominant city in the region, whether people like it or not.

And unincorporated Cobb incorporating into a city may be the largest city in Georgia, but think about this, when you think of Florida, would you think of Jacksonville (largest city that got that way due to annexing the county) or Miami (part of the much larger South Florida metro area) first? Thought so.

This pretty much sums it up well. Good post, meu amigo.

Old 03-08-2009, 07:35 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,423,643 times
Decatur.

Douglasville.

Stone Mountain.

Alpharetta.

Birmingham?

Old 03-08-2009, 09:43 PM

95 posts, read 283,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
The idea of incorporating the remaining unincorporated areas of Cobb into a city was not to create a city that would impress anyone, the idea was proposed as a means to stop Marietta and other cities from annexing land to allow developments that Cobb would not have approved.

Old 03-08-2009, 11:45 PM

1,303 posts, read 2,094,660 times
Atlanta and Birmingham since is not far andits big enough. Cobb ANd sandy springs feels like we are still in the city of Atlanta

Old 03-09-2009, 07:19 AM

970 posts, read 2,951,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Newark is New York's sidekick?
Agreed. What a silly thread.

Old 03-09-2009, 08:57 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,860,718 times
If there is such a term as a sidekick city, the unifying factor I see in the OP's list is that each of the sidekicks has at least a bit of history as an important city unto itself independent of the main city. I don't see any of these as historical suburbs. There are plenty of American suburbs that rival the city of Atlanta for population but you don't see them as "sidekick" cities to their central cities (Mesa, AZ over 400,000, Arlington, TX closing in on 400,000). These are just huge suburbs.

I can't see any of Atlanta's suburbs being considered a "sidekick" city except in use in population statistic for the census bureau. All the other sidekick city possibilitites that have some history are too far away.

Decatur could have been that city if it had expanded its boundaries to match suburban growth after WWII.

Perhaps that could be the subject of a new thread. What if Decatur had stopped Atlanta at the DeKalb County line all those years ago and all of Atlanta in DeKalb had been in the city of Decatur? If Decatur had then annexed the same proportion of land within DeKalb as Atlanta had in Fulton, we would now have twin cities in the south on par with the northern version.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta