U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-08-2009, 04:17 PM
 
154 posts, read 332,082 times
Reputation: 83
Question House on a Pond/Lake: Cons?

Anyone have experience with the negatives for living in a house next to a lake or pond? I'm wondering if we can expect more mosquitoes, more snakes or more something else we haven't thought of. We would fence off the backyard because we have small kids (who take weekly swimming classes at any rate), but would enjoy fishing in it. I guess you could put a canoe in it, but it's a tiny thing that you'd never launch a serious boat into.

I'm trying to imagine what we might regret if we buy a lakefront house. Help? (No guesses please -- I'm good at guessing myself. I'm looking for knowledgeable replies, thanks.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-08-2009, 04:55 PM
 
Location: Marietta, GA
7,679 posts, read 9,708,198 times
Reputation: 3202
I lived on a lake for 15 years. Our biggest issues were loud boats with loud people, people fishing near our house early (5am early) in the summer time and making noise or playing music, and people ice fishing in the winter and using a power auger to cut holes early in the morning on the weekend. There was a boat ramp on the corner, and every now and then it would get loud at night during the summer if people were out late.

The ice fishing example wouldn't apply in GA, and the others weren't really big deals either. The mosquitos could get bad in the summer, and the wind could whip off the lake sometimes, but other than that it was a lot of fun. Below is a pic of our view from our old house up north.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2009, 05:22 PM
 
7,852 posts, read 12,424,637 times
Reputation: 2605
I grew up in a neighborhood with several small lakes. Our house was across the street from one of them, and the biggest problem we had was large flocks of Canadian geese dropping goodies all over the yard. They are beautiful creatures and I loved seeing the around the neighborhood, especially when the goslings hatched - cute! But they sure can make a smelly mess when they get together. Also, if given any chance at all our dog ran straight for the lake and dove in...

Will you be responsible for maintenence of the pond or will someone else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2009, 08:10 PM
 
Location: West Cobb County, GA (Atlanta metro)
9,125 posts, read 21,174,203 times
Reputation: 4702
Well, the Goose [poop] problem has already been mentioned. Right now it's just a matter of grossness, but if the bird flu ever comes here, well, then it becomes a major health issue - not that you need to live in fear of bird flu stuff, but hey, it's one thing to think about when 1000 Goose poopettes are laying around all the time.

Snakes: You will see more snakes. If you keep your yard mowed and dense brush down, it'll be less of an issue, but if there are feeder streams into the lake in question, you might have Cotton Mouths in the area. Yes, they are among the more aggressive and more poisonous, but common sense and watching where you're going will keep most folks out of harms way (though it could be a danger for pets) - for that matter, you can get snakes in a swimming pool. Rats will also be a little more prevalent, depending on the water.

Overall I'd love to live on the lake, but with 3 dogs, I wouldn't want to fool with them tracking in bird poop, and possibly interacting with snakes. If I didn't have pets/young kids to worry about, I'd go for it. Otherwise, it's of course each person's perspective on the possible hassles vs. nice view, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2009, 09:22 PM
 
Location: Tyrone
381 posts, read 259,959 times
Reputation: 69
anyone have problems with getting flood insurance? there is a house down the street from me that has a large pond and he is unable to insure his basement.

-a|ex
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2009, 10:47 PM
 
8,687 posts, read 11,901,365 times
Reputation: 1940
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
Well, the Goose [poop] problem has already been mentioned. Right now it's just a matter of grossness, but if the bird flu ever comes here, well, then it becomes a major health issue - not that you need to live in fear of bird flu stuff, but hey, it's one thing to think about when 1000 Goose poopettes are laying around all the time.

Snakes: You will see more snakes. If you keep your yard mowed and dense brush down, it'll be less of an issue, but if there are feeder streams into the lake in question, you might have Cotton Mouths in the area. Yes, they are among the more aggressive and more poisonous, but common sense and watching where you're going will keep most folks out of harms way (though it could be a danger for pets) - for that matter, you can get snakes in a swimming pool. Rats will also be a little more prevalent, depending on the water.

Overall I'd love to live on the lake, but with 3 dogs, I wouldn't want to fool with them tracking in bird poop, and possibly interacting with snakes. If I didn't have pets/young kids to worry about, I'd go for it. Otherwise, it's of course each person's perspective on the possible hassles vs. nice view, etc.
Cottonmouths/Water Moccasins could be a problem...but it's mostly a southern suburbs of Atlanta issue. They are not as prevalent further north. The southern suburbs of Atlanta is often given as the northern reaches of Cottonmouth/Water Moccasin territory...not say you won't find one further north!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2009, 05:57 AM
 
9,125 posts, read 23,184,913 times
Reputation: 3329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Divine Shadow View Post
anyone have problems with getting flood insurance? there is a house down the street from me that has a large pond and he is unable to insure his basement.

-a|ex
Living on/near a lake isn't necessarily going to keep you from getting flood insurance- it's a matter of the relative elevation difference between your house and the lake. In your friend's case, his basement floor height was likely below the flood elevation of the lake. If the house sat 20' above the lake, it wouldn't have been an issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2009, 08:10 AM
 
154 posts, read 332,082 times
Reputation: 83
Thanks for the replies so far. I just noticed a mention of water in the basement of this house, and it says the builder couldn't determine the source. I guess I should check the elevation too. This house is in the Smyrna/Mableton area, so I guess that's not cottonmouth territory. No rivers feed into the pond.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2009, 09:19 AM
 
Location: West Cobb County, GA (Atlanta metro)
9,125 posts, read 21,174,203 times
Reputation: 4702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windu View Post
Thanks for the replies so far. I just noticed a mention of water in the basement of this house, and it says the builder couldn't determine the source. I guess I should check the elevation too. This house is in the Smyrna/Mableton area, so I guess that's not cottonmouth territory. No rivers feed into the pond.
There very well could be "feeders" underground that go into the lake that could be causing the water problem in that basement, or, it could be a simple drainage issue. Yep - need to get that inspected though before signing on any dots.

Note - while Cotton Mouths typically are found more frequently South of the City, I have seen them actually intown (Chamblee), at Sweetwater Creek Park (which is in the Mableton area), and a friend who used to live along Lake Lanier once had to call professionals to get rid of a nest (or two) of them near his boat dock. So yeah, they're around. Most people don't realize how many snakes there are around because we're unobservant by nature, and snakes are good at avoiding us or hiding. This alone should not deter you from buying a lake house - it's just something you need to be aware of as a "watch for this" if you live on one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2009, 09:57 AM
 
8,687 posts, read 11,901,365 times
Reputation: 1940
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
There very well could be "feeders" underground that go into the lake that could be causing the water problem in that basement, or, it could be a simple drainage issue. Yep - need to get that inspected though before signing on any dots.

Note - while Cotton Mouths typically are found more frequently South of the City, I have seen them actually intown (Chamblee), at Sweetwater Creek Park (which is in the Mableton area), and a friend who used to live along Lake Lanier once had to call professionals to get rid of a nest (or two) of them near his boat dock. So yeah, they're around. Most people don't realize how many snakes there are around because we're unobservant by nature, and snakes are good at avoiding us or hiding. This alone should not deter you from buying a lake house - it's just something you need to be aware of as a "watch for this" if you live on one.

And things could be worse--I had a student whose family dog was attacked and killed by a pack of capybaras (who are semi-aquatic) in the yard of their lakeside home...

...but this was in Latin America!

Capybara - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top