U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 10:01 AM

Location: Originally from Cali relocated to Inman Park/Old 4th Ward/Westside Atlanta
987 posts, read 3,510,358 times

Advertisements

City ends funding for Brand Atlanta campaign | ajc.com (http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/atlanta/stories/2009/03/10/brand_atlanta_campaign.html - broken link)

The theme song maybe was too much for people but as a frequent flyer in and out of the Atlanta airport on a weekly basis I liked the signage of the campaign inside of the Airport showing the various Atlanta Highlights, Tourists Attractions, People and Exhibits and Museums going on in the City.

I think a concerted marketing effort is still needed to continue branding Atlanta with it's image. Should be interesting to see what direction they take with that...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2009, 10:05 AM

22,790 posts, read 34,834,369 times
Good riddance. Why the city gets involved in boondoggles like this is beyond me.

Old 03-10-2009, 11:32 AM
JPD

12,159 posts, read 15,024,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantasfinest View Post
City ends funding for Brand Atlanta campaign | ajc.com (http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/atlanta/stories/2009/03/10/brand_atlanta_campaign.html - broken link)

The theme song maybe was too much for people but as a frequent flyer in and out of the Atlanta airport on a weekly basis I liked the signage of the campaign inside of the Airport showing the various Atlanta Highlights, Tourists Attractions, People and Exhibits and Museums going on in the City.

I think a concerted marketing effort is still needed to continue branding Atlanta with it's image. Should be interesting to see what direction they take with that...
The Atlanta Convention and Visitors Bureau should be responsible for those things.

Old 03-10-2009, 12:18 PM

7,848 posts, read 18,229,519 times
I have yet to understand why we don't use Henry Grady's quote as the slogan for Atlanta...

"...and from the ashes, we have created a brave and beautiful city."

It's classic and it evokes the image of an event that most people are familiar with...the burning of Atlanta, and it's rise to prominence against the odds.

Old 03-16-2009, 08:03 AM

Location: Originally from Cali relocated to Inman Park/Old 4th Ward/Westside Atlanta
987 posts, read 3,510,358 times
I saw this post from someone from another blog regarding the Brand Atlanta Campaign:

Clearly the 3 year old tagline is not so unforgettable. It has received over 2 million media impressions in just the past 5 days alone. Why does the media continue to dredge up old news? Not every tactic of a 5 year branding strategy is going to be a home run. People have to focus on the results of the entire effort and the return on investment. Brand Atlanta did have some measurable results that resulted in increased, incremental visitor spending.

Brand Atlanta saw the needle start to move in measures commonly used by the hospitality industry. Atlanta as a city saw an increase in its share in the top 25 U.S. travel markets, from 5.8 percent in 2004 to 6.0 percent by 2006, during the period that coincided with a massive citywide resident ambassador effort and ad campaign. The goal was 6.8 percent by 2011. This is when the lion’s share of marketing dollars were spent on recruiting residents to become personal ambassadors for the city and influence their friends and relatives to visit.

The result, for which Brand Atlanta can and should take some credit, Atlanta saw significant growth of 10.7 percent in overnight tourists and leisure visitors in 2006, representing an increase of 1.4 million tourists who spent more than $100 per day, on average, at area restaurants, museums, shops, and hotels. Here’s where the public and private funding contributors, got their return on investment.

Lastly, the city rose from 18th place to 12th place in a ranking of top meeting destinations, according to a national annual survey of meeting planners.

The current Brand Atlanta campaign, Treasures Fit for Kings, is doing extremely well. Tickets sales have surpassed projections. Here’s the website Atlanta - Treasures Fit for Kings.

Old 04-08-2009, 12:22 PM

7 posts, read 21,030 times
The best thing the city can do right now to improve its image is to take all that money being wasted on silly things like branding and use it to combat crime and clean up the streets and public commons! Crime is out of control, and this is probably the one basic thing that needs to change about Atlanta before our reputation will improve one whit (in the eyes of both visitors AND residents)! They definitely need to do something about the traffic problem (another major thorn in Atlanta's side) by investing in more public transit. They'd also do well to put some money into public works projects like street repaving (aren't YOU sick of all those d%$# potholes and metal plates that put wear and tear on YOUR car every day? I know I am! I'm tired of drinking and bathing in dirty, disgusting tapwater too, come to think of it).

Until the city seriously addresses the major issues that keep people (both visitors and residents) grumbling, Atlanta's reputation will continue to suffer. No amount of "branding", advertising, or promotion will cover up the fundamental problems this city faces. As they say, you can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig.

Old 04-08-2009, 12:37 PM

1,755 posts, read 5,012,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotlantan View Post
(aren't YOU sick of all those d%$# potholes and metal plates that put wear and tear on YOUR car every day? I know I am! .

You don't remember the 'Pothole Posse'? That was a campaign in and of itself, just call the 'Pothole Posse's' number and they'll come fix your pothole in 48 hours.

Old 04-08-2009, 12:41 PM

165 posts, read 491,281 times
Now Open - the Equitable Building.
Buy it today at a reduced rate.

Old 04-09-2009, 02:58 PM

12,304 posts, read 10,704,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
I have yet to understand why we don't use Henry Grady's quote as the slogan for Atlanta...

"...and from the ashes, we have created a brave and beautiful city."

It's classic and it evokes the image of an event that most people are familiar with...the burning of Atlanta, and it's rise to prominence against the odds.
That's a beautiful, poetic quote and totally perfect! Why isn't that the city slogan? I can't imagine a better way to define Atlanta.

Old 10-11-2010, 12:13 PM

5,591 posts, read 6,048,007 times
i live in chicago and we have a huge pothole problem compared to atl and anyother sunbelt city. we also have a huge crime problem. believe it or not our traffic is worse than atlanta. what keeps people visiting our city are the restarants, midwest culture combined with bigcity energy (aka big city action) with tons of shopping and restarants downtown that leaves people with a feeling theyve been to chicago.

Atlanta use to have a distinked vibe but i dont know what happened. (too many transplants)??? imo atlanta needs to market its southern heritage in such a way that it will bring people in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or