Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are Atlanta's Glory Days Coming to an End?
Yes 27 41.54%
No 38 58.46%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 10:59 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,779,367 times

Advertisements

From what I have been hearing and reading, Atlanta is not doing good during the recession. The unemployment rate has risen, and growth has slowed.

Last edited by SouthernBoy205; 03-15-2009 at 11:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2009, 11:32 AM

3,478 posts, read 7,255,485 times
Has Atlanta ben hit hard with this recession (depending on who you ask)? Absolutely, and the bottom may not have been met yet. Are the glory days over FOREVER? No, I don't believe that. This is a major bump in the economic road, but we will recover and go back up. I wish people would stop the "end of the world" talk over this economy. Folks - a recession is a correction in the overall scheme of things. Yes, people get hurt during them, but it enforces what we need to know about managing money and being consumers. It's a "reality check" if you like.

Old 03-15-2009, 11:35 AM

Yeah, you are right! People do act like it is the end of the world. I didn't mean to say that. What I meant is will Atlanta actually start losing population and failing for now as a result of the recession.

Old 03-15-2009, 12:44 PM

159 posts, read 456,285 times
Atlanta has been a boom town for the past 40 years, no way could this last forever. The whole country is in a recession, so is Atlanta, but eventually things will be fine, may take a few years. But Atlanta has a lot to offer and is a good city to live in.

Old 03-15-2009, 12:52 PM

256 posts, read 750,175 times
I don't think Atlanta will be any worse off than cities like Phoenix, San Bernardino/Riverside, or Charlotte. The housing bust hit the whole country, not just Atlanta.

Old 03-15-2009, 01:02 PM

Huntsville and few other places are doing good in the economy. I don't agree Sandy Springs.

Old 03-15-2009, 01:27 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,885,851 times
If you mean are Atlanta's days of "grow grow grow" and "if you build it, they will come" are at an end - maybe. Atlanta's growth has been oddly beyond the normal range for a very long time. Something has to bust sometime, and, it has.

Will it turn Atlanta into a ghost town? No. It will pull out of the recession/depression the same as most places, but (hopefully) with a more moderate mentality when it comes to expansion and sprawl than it had before.

Old 03-15-2009, 01:33 PM

2,757 posts, read 5,645,125 times
The way I look at it is that we haven't even hit any "Glory Days" yet. I think that ATL could be done with its booming period (I could be wrong). Look at all the other cities in this country (the older and more established ones) and you'll see that they've boomed, slowed, loss population to the burbs, grew again and have been good since. As a city we have not even seen the "leave the burbs for the city" mass exodus or the expand the city phase yet. Right now it just seems that this city is in a fragmented transition period, because everyone wants to become it's own city (separate from ATL).

Old 03-15-2009, 01:41 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,798,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Summers View Post
The way I look at it is that we haven't even hit any "Glory Days" yet. I think that ATL could be done with its booming period (I could be wrong). Look at all the other cities in this country (the older and more established ones) and you'll see that they've boomed, slowed, loss population to the burbs, grew again and have been good since. As a city we have not even seen the "leave the burbs for the city" mass exodus or the expand the city phase yet. Right now it just seems that this city is in a fragmented transition period, because everyone wants to become it's own city (separate from ATL).
Actually what you say about the city loosing population is not.Over the last almost 10 years,inner city Atlanta has been growing.And it should also be noted that Atlanta at one time had a population greater than it has today.When you say older cities,I think of Baltimore,Philly,Cinncinati,Newark, and D.C.I don't see that many shining examples.

Old 03-15-2009, 07:57 PM

This is what one poster said about Atlanta:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
Atlanta has been a corporate kind of town, but the largest industry here is construction. Construction of houses and other buildings. People have been moving here in droves. Now the economy has taken a hit. Atlanta has taken it very badly. Some businesses have closed down and left metro Atlanta entirely, Circuit City being one of them. Real estate is having a problem. Dallas-Ft.Worth hasn't been hit as badly, so it would be more likely to reach 10 million. Atlanta is being hit badly and its economy is suffering. My father had to leave the state to get a job(and he has a master's degree).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta