Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 12:13 AM

4 posts, read 8,066 times

Advertisements

Last night my roommate's dog, an adorable 4-month old Rottweiler, bolted so quickly that the leash slipped out of his hands and ran faster than I have ever seen him run - across Northside into Vine City, where we followed him as fast as we could for a few blocks before he disappeared. My roommate hunted for hours last night and hours this morning, and again after work tonight, talking to dozens and dozens and dozens of people in the process.

The puppy has a microchip and a collar-tag with our address and phone #, but all the evidence points to the probability that somebody found and kept him. You can lambast me for stereotyping black culture, but people who live in neighborhoods like Vine City absolutely love Rottweilers. And they'll freely admit that. He's also adorable and friendly, so I can't blame somebody for wanting to keep him - even I would consider it in that situation. I have other reasons for suspecting that this is what happened, but I'm not going to explain them all.

Ignoring other possibilities and ASSUMING that somebody did keep him, does anybody have any advice for investigating something like this? I know that in little neighborhoods like this everybody gossips, so I imagine word could get around. We covered half of Vine City with flyers offering a $200 reward and I think we managed to create some buzz. Most of the residents tried to be as helpful as possible but admitted that somebody probably found and kept the dog. I told them that if they heard anything to call me and let me confront the "kidnapper" (haha).

This might be a lost cause and this whole thread could be a trivial waste of everyone's time, but I thought it was an interesting problem to face and that maybe somebody out there has had experience with dealing with folks like this.

Old 03-17-2009, 09:30 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,828,007 times
Even though the dog is chipped, you still want to keep in contact with the city/fulton/dekalb shelters every-other day about it.

Then wait a week and revisit the people you gave fliers to. Might not even hurt to make a web page about the dog with the ability for folks to anonymously email in about it, and pass that address out and post fliers about it on poles in the area.

Old 03-17-2009, 10:07 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,910,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doglover999 View Post
This might be a lost cause and this whole thread could be a trivial waste of everyone's time, but I thought it was an interesting problem to face and that maybe somebody out there has had experience with dealing with folks like this.

Folks like what? Folks that are as helpful as possible?

Good luck finding your dog - I mean that. But you may need an attitude change.

Old 03-17-2009, 10:18 AM

Location: Originally from Cali relocated to Inman Park/Old 4th Ward/Westside Atlanta
987 posts, read 3,905,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doglover999 View Post
Last night my roommate's dog, an adorable 4-month old Rottweiler, bolted so quickly that the leash slipped out of his hands and ran faster than I have ever seen him run - across Northside into Vine City, where we followed him as fast as we could for a few blocks before he disappeared. My roommate hunted for hours last night and hours this morning, and again after work tonight, talking to dozens and dozens and dozens of people in the process.

The puppy has a microchip and a collar-tag with our address and phone #, but all the evidence points to the probability that somebody found and kept him. You can lambast me for stereotyping black culture, but people who live in neighborhoods like Vine City absolutely love Rottweilers. And they'll freely admit that. He's also adorable and friendly, so I can't blame somebody for wanting to keep him - even I would consider it in that situation. I have other reasons for suspecting that this is what happened, but I'm not going to explain them all.

Ignoring other possibilities and ASSUMING that somebody did keep him, does anybody have any advice for investigating something like this? I know that in little neighborhoods like this everybody gossips, so I imagine word could get around. We covered half of Vine City with flyers offering a $200 reward and I think we managed to create some buzz. Most of the residents tried to be as helpful as possible but admitted that somebody probably found and kept the dog. I told them that if they heard anything to call me and let me confront the "kidnapper" (haha).

Your stereotypes/statements are very offensive and If you went into Vine City with that attitude I doubt anyone would want to help you. I live near Vine City and I hate Rottweilers and so do my neighbors who have poodles, terriers and other smaller boutique dogs. I know your getting emotional about possibly losing your dog but to generalize a race of people for "possibly" having your dog is ignorant!

I suggest you post some flyers in and around the Marta Stations at Ashby and Vine City as well as the corner stores/schools/churches in the area as well. Good luck and change your attitude because I'm sure you rubbed some people the wrong way during your visit to Vine City. BTW...you deal with the Vine City Neighborhood the same exact way you would with any other neighborhood; with a little courtesy and respect .

Last edited by Atlantasfinest; 03-17-2009 at 11:15 AM..

Old 03-17-2009, 12:36 PM

4 posts, read 8,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantasfinest View Post
Your stereotypes/statements are very offensive and If you went into Vine City with that attitude I doubt anyone would want to help you. I live near Vine City and I hate Rottweilers and so do my neighbors who have poodles, terriers and other smaller boutique dogs. I know your getting emotional about possibly losing your dog but to generalize a race of people for "possibly" having your dog is ignorant!

I suggest you post some flyers in and around the Marta Stations at Ashby and Vine City as well as the corner stores/schools/churches in the area as well. Good luck and change your attitude because I'm sure you rubbed some people the wrong way during your visit to Vine City. BTW...you deal with the Vine City Neighborhood the same exact way you would with any other neighborhood; with a little courtesy and respect .
First of all, like I said in the original post, half the people we talked to there were like, "A rottweiler, you say?! Man, somebody's DEFINITELY got it by now." They assured me that a Rottweiler is a hot commodity.

"You deal with the Vine City Neighborhood the same exact way you would with any other neighborhood"

That was the whole point of this thread: I didn't lose the dog in st ives (if I had, somebody would have returned him), so dealing with it the "same exact way" would lead to failure.

And I don't think we "rubbed anyone the wrong way." I live way downtown and I've done community service in the projects, so it's not like I treat them like aliens. Most people who live in Vine City are not oversensitive PC ninnies who sit around arguing on messageboards. From what I've seen, they are cool, straightforward working people who accept reality. I'm sure they would freely admit that there are huge cultural differences between their neighborhood and the one I grew up in. And that's totally okay with us, but for some reason it apparently upsets you.
Thank you, though, for the tips about the MARTA stations - I hadn't thought about that, although we have visited a couple corner stores/schools/churches right around there.

And thanks a lot to GregAtlanta, too, I will consider that.

Old 03-17-2009, 03:35 PM

401 posts, read 1,729,920 times
I'd put up a $500 reward for return of the dog and $1000 for information on someone who might have stolen him. If you get a tip on the latter - let the police handle it. Also, note on the reward that he is microchipped - that scares some people into fessing up b/c the uninitiated think that a microchip is like LoJack.

That ought to get a response.

Not that this neighborhood is any more prone to such tendencies than any other neighborhood... but puppies (particularly Rotties and Pits) are often used as bait dogs to train fighting dogs. I would act as quickly as possible on this.

Old 03-17-2009, 07:12 PM

184 posts, read 510,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
Folks like what? Folks that are as helpful as possible?
Folks who live in an area that is full of people who like that type of dog. Even a resident who the OP talked to agreed that someone probably took it by now. I don't see any problem in being realistic and asking for help in dealing with the situation. A lot of black people live in Vine city and based on information gathered by the OP like rottweilers. There is nothing wrong with stating the facts and using it to help.

I think a reward is the best way to go. You can ask around and see if anybody knows of anyone who just got a new dog. With enough detective work you can probably track it down.

Old 03-19-2009, 07:43 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,828,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantasfinest View Post
Your stereotypes/statements are very offensive and If you went into Vine City with that attitude I doubt anyone would want to help you.
I would suggest that rather than play the politically correct card, you chill out and HELP the poster find their dog. Your second segment of your post is fine - but let's not "bait" someone for an argument now or in future postings in this thread, folks.

Political correctness isn't in my personal dictionary - let's lay it on the line... it doesn't matter whether someone is White, Black, Asian, or Hispanic - but in every group there is a stupid little "I'm a tough gangsta" subgroup of people who yes, do like to show off a big 'ol Pit Bull or Rottie to the folks on the street. In America it's that - in parts of Africa, guys actually use captured Hyenas on leashes to show their "manhood", and in Russia, people actually have pet Tigers on leashes to show off in some places (look it up). I don't think the OP made reference that EVERYONE in Vince City falls into this category, either, but if you want to lay money on the table, I'm going to guess blindly that you'll find more Pits and Rotties in Vine City than you will on West Paces or in Brookhaven - you think?

So stop being offended so easily folks - help with your replies, and if anyone breaks the terms of service with racial rantings or slander (of any race), one of us will step in and take care of it (which is NOT the case here).

Old 03-19-2009, 09:11 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,769,106 times
I don't think it is the OP's reference to the breed of dog as much as it is his reference to the assumption of dishonesty being placed on the residents of Vine City. Just because someone likes the breed doesn't mean that the dog wouldn't be returned to its real owner - whether it's in Vine City or Vinings.

Old 03-19-2009, 01:34 PM

145 posts, read 597,408 times
This reminds me a bit of that TV show "What Would You Do?". True some of the scenarios are IMO dangerous to respond to, but it highlights that people have different degrees of ethical and social responsibilty. I think the backlash against the OP was just that. Not a PC reflex, but folks that feel ethically obligated to respond (or defend) those that are being wrongly dealt with. + Rep to each of you that did just that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: