U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-22-2009, 11:58 AM

18 posts, read 21,053 times

Advertisements

I know from the news and reading on here that the job situation and economy in everywhere is not good. That does not change my families desire to live where the weather is nicer. We are in NY and run a successful lawn and landscaping business here ($700K).
I am looking for opinions on the lawn maintenance business in atlanta? I would think that even in a recession, the grass still grows and it still must be mowed. I am looking to buy an existing lawn/landscaping business in atlanta, with at least $200k in gross sales. I have seen several for sale.
Do you think this is a good business to be in, in Georgia?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2009, 04:37 PM

9,125 posts, read 23,537,744 times
Yes the grass still grows and still needs to be cut but for many folks who are cutting back it'll be the homeowner cutting the lawn- not a lawn service. I'd take whatever sales figures you're being given for the business you're looking to buy and cut them in 1/2- if the business is still viable on those numbers, it might be worth considering.

Old 03-22-2009, 05:12 PM

1,341 posts, read 2,822,977 times
I can tell you that one of the first things my family got rid of when money got tight was lawn service, along with other "nice, but optional" services. We'll see how it goes this summer. I don't think my hubby is looking forward to doing it himself, but the prospect of saving several thousand dollars per year made the decision for us. I suspect others are making similar choices.

Old 03-22-2009, 05:40 PM

2,586 posts, read 6,605,599 times
Also, many lawn services went out of business due to drought.

Old 03-24-2009, 12:16 AM

86 posts, read 306,944 times
Lawn service businesses are some amongst the worst, hurting right now. I've had two personal friends with Lawn care companies go under in the past 2 years. A drought and terrible economy is a bad combo.

Not to mention, there is like 7 Kabillion lawn care companies in this state to compete with. Millions of guys with no educations thought they could open up lawn care businesses and strike it rich, so you have one on almost every corner nowadays..

Old 03-24-2009, 12:23 AM

1,917 posts, read 5,174,902 times
someone doing $700k in sales isn't like joe dirt lawn service down the street.

i have no idea what the drought situation in atlanta is, but in south georgia people are still watering their lawns, and they still need mowing.

there are many small lawn service companies here, and there are many going out of business because they thought they could cut someone's lawn one a week for $25/mo.

there are a few companies i can think of in the low six-figure annual sales range, and only one that might be approaching 7-figures.

i don't know of any for sale here, but building a $200k/yr company is very much a possibility.

Old 03-24-2009, 06:25 AM

3,564 posts, read 7,448,770 times
The drought really put a damper on landscaping businesses in Metro Atlanta before the economy went down. Now, many businesses are gone or on life support.

I will be very careful about "gross sales." I think that it was late 2008 before we really started to fill the effects of the economic slowdown here. (So on the books a company might look ok, but the reality is that lots of their business is gone.)

I have noticed far more of my neighbors doing their own lawn work this winter than in the past.

Old 03-24-2009, 06:51 AM

2,205 posts, read 4,264,249 times
I need some yard work done, so picked three small local businesses that seemed well recommended on the kudzu website and called them on the weekend. One proprietor answered the phone and is coming around to give me an estimate tonight. The other two have never returned the messages I left. I'm thinking (a) I'll have to pick some others for quotes and (b) hmm, could these guys have gone out of business? Times are tough.

Old 03-24-2009, 08:22 AM

969 posts, read 1,875,606 times
If several lawn care businesses are for sale, what does that tell you about the chances for success, especially in this economy? Food for thought...

Old 03-24-2009, 10:30 AM

1,917 posts, read 5,174,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaflsc View Post
If several lawn care businesses are for sale, what does that tell you about the chances for success, especially in this economy? Food for thought...
i'd say the chances are extremely high if all the competition is going out of business. as long as the OP has the cash to weather the recession for a little while longer, he could put himself in a very good position in another 24 months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta