Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2009, 09:17 PM

1 posts, read 2,944 times

Advertisements

How is the Roseland and Lakewood heights area? Jonesboro Road area? We are two white lesbians. We have been offered a great deal on our rent from a friend who has not lived there for many years and he does not know how the area is now. (He is black so we were kinda concerned about the area). Our work is forcing us to move to the Atlanta area so we are hoping this is not a high crime area. Please help if you know anything about the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2009, 12:05 AM

156 posts, read 432,166 times
If you're concerned about crime that's not an area you want to live in. Lakeland Heights has a murder rate 7 times that of the national average. I drove my wife through that area on a shortcut and she made me promise never to take that route. She was horrified at all of the thugs, and she's lived in some pretty tough neighborhoods in northeastern cities.

I live in Grant Park (where the zoo is), which is not all that far from the area you were inquiring about, but it's like night and day. Grant Park was one of the first intown neighborhoods to gentrify, a process that the gays had a huge part in. It's still very gay friendly - my next door neighbors are a lesbian couple as a matter of fact, and they're awesome.

Decatur has been very popular with lesbians, and East Point is becoming a gay hotbed.

Atlanta has a lot of great intown neighborhoods, and there are a ton of good deals out there, so do some looking around.

Good luck and welcome to Atlanta.

Old 03-23-2009, 07:36 AM

23,331 posts, read 43,794,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mceis View Post
If you're concerned about crime that's not an area you want to live in. Lakeland Heights has a murder rate 7 times that of the national average. I drove my wife through that area on a shortcut and she made me promise never to take that route. She was horrified at all of the thugs, and she's lived in some pretty tough neighborhoods in northeastern cities.

I live in Grant Park (where the zoo is), which is not all that far from the area you were inquiring about, but it's like night and day. Grant Park was one of the first intown neighborhoods to gentrify, a process that the gays had a huge part in. It's still very gay friendly - my next door neighbors are a lesbian couple as a matter of fact, and they're awesome.

Decatur has been very popular with lesbians, and East Point is becoming a gay hotbed.

Atlanta has a lot of great intown neighborhoods, and there are a ton of good deals out there, so do some looking around.

Good luck and welcome to Atlanta.
Very good suggestions...I would add Avondale Estates to the list of lesbian-friendly communities.

Old 03-23-2009, 08:14 AM

1,517 posts, read 6,719,193 times
Look in Decatur, Midtown, Virginia Highland, Inman Park or Candler Park. Great areas all around and incredibly gay friendly.
Welcome!

Old 03-23-2009, 08:52 PM

21 posts, read 58,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missboss View Post
How is the Roseland and Lakewood heights area? Jonesboro Road area? We are two white lesbians. We have been offered a great deal on our rent from a friend who has not lived there for many years and he does not know how the area is now. (He is black so we were kinda concerned about the area). Our work is forcing us to move to the Atlanta area so we are hoping this is not a high crime area. Please help if you know anything about the area.
Maybe it's the way your words are but it seems like you're concerned about the area because the previous tenant was black???

Old 12-04-2009, 06:57 PM

1 posts, read 2,469 times
I believe the previous posters are correct about that area of town. I have lived in Ormewood Par (near the zoo and Grant Park) since 1980. Hardly any trouble at all here..lots of gay folks in this neighborhood. Good luck with the move!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta