U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-27-2009, 09:47 AM
 
1,301 posts, read 1,909,338 times
Reputation: 532

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
It's well documented that "the liberal media" failed to do their duty as journalists by asking tough questions prior to the Iraq war.

Nieman Watchdog > Commentary > Missing before the war: Journalism 101 questions
What does that have to do with the other poster wrote about? Also anyone can point to examples of how the media fails us on a daily basis regardless of what their polictical idealogy is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-27-2009, 09:55 AM
JPD
 
12,159 posts, read 15,076,985 times
Reputation: 7907
Quote:
Originally Posted by suprascooby22 View Post
What does that have to do with the other poster wrote about? Also anyone can point to examples of how the media fails us on a daily basis regardless of what their polictical idealogy is.
This is a media thread, and the media is often referred to as "the liberal media", thus my response to YOU (I assume you know I was responding to you and not to a previous poster) was entirely appropriate AND answers YOUR question with precision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2009, 10:01 AM
 
1,301 posts, read 1,909,338 times
Reputation: 532
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
This is a media thread, and the media is often referred to as "the liberal media", thus my response to YOU (I assume you know I was responding to you and not to a previous poster) was entirely appropriate AND answers YOUR question with precision.
Precision huh, so where did I miss in your post about the "tolerance and inclusiveness" of the liberals in regards to Republicans/Conservatives or ANYONE with an opposing view?? Especially when it comes to President Bush or Vice-President Cheney. Somehow the "liberal media" failing to report things in the early part of the Iraq war somehow answers this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2009, 10:26 AM
JPD
 
12,159 posts, read 15,076,985 times
Reputation: 7907
Quote:
Originally Posted by suprascooby22 View Post
Precision huh, so where did I miss in your post about the "tolerance and inclusiveness" of the liberals in regards to Republicans/Conservatives or ANYONE with an opposing view?? Especially when it comes to President Bush or Vice-President Cheney. Somehow the "liberal media" failing to report things in the early part of the Iraq war somehow answers this?
You must not have been paying attention to the media's reporting during the pre-war months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2009, 02:10 PM
 
Location: Mableton, GA USA (NW Atlanta suburb, 4 miles OTP)
11,319 posts, read 22,494,728 times
Reputation: 3886
Quote:
Originally Posted by suprascooby22 View Post
So please explain the last 8 years and all the respect and understanding that Liberals gave to President Bush. Better yet how about Vice President Cheney!
With all due respect, either GWB nor Cheney are well-known for their willingness to listen to viewpoints or opinions not similar to their own.

There are many well-respected conservatives. I have a high level of respect for Newt Gingrich, for example. Always have. But the two you cite? They *deserve* much of the hostility they receive because of their general attitudes, IMO.

I'm speaking as one who grew up with (and until recently tended to vote for) the Republican party, FWIW. I used to vote Republican quite often, something not quite as popular in the Twin Cities as it is here in Atlanta. I voted for Reagan. I voted for the first Bush. And yet it was mainly GWB, Cheney, and their combination "elitist" and "anti-intellectual" attitudes which drove me away from the GOP...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2009, 02:56 PM
 
1,301 posts, read 1,909,338 times
Reputation: 532
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
With all due respect, either GWB nor Cheney are well-known for their willingness to listen to viewpoints or opinions not similar to their own.

There are many well-respected conservatives. I have a high level of respect for Newt Gingrich, for example. Always have. But the two you cite? They *deserve* much of the hostility they receive because of their general attitudes, IMO.

I'm speaking as one who grew up with (and until recently tended to vote for) the Republican party, FWIW. I used to vote Republican quite often, something not quite as popular in the Twin Cities as it is here in Atlanta. I voted for Reagan. I voted for the first Bush. And yet it was mainly GWB, Cheney, and their combination "elitist" and "anti-intellectual" attitudes which drove me away from the GOP...
Fair enough but not ONE person has responded to the other posters ridiculous assertion that liberals are tolerate and inclusive. I find that to be laughable! Anyone ever heard of the "fairness" doctrine that liberals are pushing for that censor talk radio yet have NO impact on TV or the newspapers?? Even former President Clinton jumped on that band wagon recently. That is nothing but an organized effort on the part of liberals to shut down conversative talk radio. So much for tolerate and inclusive! LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2009, 06:29 PM
 
Location: Mableton, GA USA (NW Atlanta suburb, 4 miles OTP)
11,319 posts, read 22,494,728 times
Reputation: 3886
Quote:
Originally Posted by suprascooby22 View Post
Fair enough but not ONE person has responded to the other posters ridiculous assertion that liberals are tolerate and inclusive.
The media pundits on either side of the political spectrum tend to not be very tolerant or inclusive, but face it: it's their job to stir the pot and get a reaction from people, not hold hands with the opposition.

What precisely do you mean by "liberal"?

I'm a lot more liberal in some ways than a lot of Georgians are, I suspect. Many folks here might well label me "liberal", and I think the label actually fits me well in a number of contexts.

Does that automatically make me intolerant?

If not, then why would liberal media wanks be otherwise? Could it be a function of their position in the media, do you think?

Last edited by rcsteiner; 03-27-2009 at 07:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-28-2009, 02:53 AM
 
7,848 posts, read 18,280,512 times
Reputation: 2785
The main thing that liberals can't tolerate is intolerance...not quite the same thing as actually being intolerant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-28-2009, 08:14 AM
 
Location: East Cobb
2,206 posts, read 6,077,416 times
Reputation: 912
Quote:
Originally Posted by suprascooby22 View Post
Fair enough but not ONE person has responded to the other posters ridiculous assertion that liberals are tolerate and inclusive. I find that to be laughable! Anyone ever heard of the "fairness" doctrine that liberals are pushing for that censor talk radio yet have NO impact on TV or the newspapers?? Even former President Clinton jumped on that band wagon recently. That is nothing but an organized effort on the part of liberals to shut down conversative talk radio. So much for tolerate and inclusive! LOL
OK, scooby, I believe I'm the "other poster" whom you accuse of making the "ridiculous assertion." Except I didn't assert what you say I did. Either you're trying to make a straw man argument here, or you didn't read what I wrote carefully enough to understand it.

Let's start with a little background, i.e. the post I was replying to:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Bob Barr is also a regular contributor to the AJC editorial page, so let's get the tally:

"Liberal": Bookman, Tucker, Lukovich, Sarvady

"Conservative": Wooten, Feldhahn, Barr

That's a very fair representation of the political veiwpoints of the metro area, perhaps even overly generous to the so-called conservatives. Remember, it's the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, not the Georgia Journal-Constitution. So why all the whining from right wingers?
So I wrote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
Here's a possible answer. Tolerance and inclusiveness are liberal values. We are respectful of ambiguity and doubt, and generally believe we should strive to understand and see the good in the opposing point of view, even though we often fall short of this ideal.

In the view of many conservatives, everything described in the previous paragraph is not a virtue but a vice, and part and parcel of everything they believe is just plain Wrong with liberal thinking. The fact that liberals are willing to entertain conservative ideas to some extent they just take as proof that Truth is on their side. But they are completely hostile to liberal views because they are Right and liberal views are completely Wrong. In this way of thinking, any compromise is surrender, and just plain Wrong.

A liberal thinks the AJC is doing the right thing and trying to be fair by printing both Jay Bookman and Jim Wooten. A conservative thinks that naturally there's some house room given to Jim et al. because nobody could be so stupid as to completely believe in only liberal thinking. However, the presence of any liberal thinking at all means that the AJC is unacceptably in the wrong camp.
JPD's and my posts were related to the original topic of the thread and were specifically about how different groups of people evaluate the AJC. Notice that I wrote that liberals value tolerance and inclusiveness. Nowhere did I claim that liberals invariably exhibit these values in their behavior. In fact, I think I was quite careful to be clear that I was not making any such silly claim.

It's interesting that you've chosen to respond by pointing out that liberals don't always practice tolerance and inclusiveness. Even though some might wish to debate your examples, your main point is hardly news to anyone. People are flawed. No argument there. However, your comments seem to imply that you yourself value tolerance and inclusiveness. This is interesting because as I wrote in my post that originally bothered you, strong conservatives appear to me to not share those values. They're more likely to disdain them as "political correctness".

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
The main thing that liberals can't tolerate is intolerance...not quite the same thing as actually being intolerant.
Deacon's comment is admirably succinct and states something that I think most people know. So getting back to the AJC, conservatives don't like it because it attempts to include both liberal and conservative voices, and liberals get annoyed by this intolerance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-28-2009, 10:43 AM
 
Location: Metropolis, USA
1,104 posts, read 1,177,925 times
Reputation: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
So you really want us to loose our major daily because you thought there were too many ads?

Seems pretty petty. Not to mention the hundreds of people that still work there.

Honestly John that is one of my biggest concerns, How many employees does the AJC have? What would happen to the office building downtown?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:36 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top