U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 07:59 PM

110 posts, read 271,971 times

Advertisements

What is going on with the AJC? Pretty soon, it'll be reduced to a phamplet. I know papers are having a tough time, but why bother to put out a paper at all if they put out this junk? Nothing but AP stories, crime stories and PR stories about the police. It was a real paper a few years ago but it has gone downhill so quickly. I doubt people are replacing reading the paper by going to the Internet and getting informed on local Atlanta news. I think the end result is that people will be less informed about what is going on locally in the future, ie concerts, theatre, restaurants, local happenings etc. Same thing with Creative Loafing. It has gone steadily downhill lately. Local TV news is awful. Nothing but crime stories on WSB and 11 Alive. I guess their only objective is trying to scare people rather than inform them and improve the community. I don't understand the obsession the local media has with crime. Anyway, I fear that reading will be a lost art in the future, and the result will be a less educated, less informed society.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2009, 08:45 PM

23,049 posts, read 35,003,509 times
The common reason I hear for people still subscribing to the AJC is that they still want to be apprised of the local news.
I gave up on that lousy paper years ago. I get most of my news on the internet.

Old 03-23-2009, 09:15 PM

13,160 posts, read 20,776,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bernsee View Post
What is going on with the AJC? Pretty soon, it'll be reduced to a phamplet. I know papers are having a tough time, but why bother to put out a paper at all if they put out this junk? Nothing but AP stories, crime stories and PR stories about the police. It was a real paper a few years ago but it has gone downhill so quickly. I doubt people are replacing reading the paper by going to the Internet and getting informed on local Atlanta news. I think the end result is that people will be less informed about what is going on locally in the future, ie concerts, theatre, restaurants, local happenings etc. Same thing with Creative Loafing. It has gone steadily downhill lately. Local TV news is awful. Nothing but crime stories on WSB and 11 Alive. I guess their only objective is trying to scare people rather than inform them and improve the community. I don't understand the obsession the local media has with crime. Anyway, I fear that reading will be a lost art in the future, and the result will be a less educated, less informed society.
I am on another message board where we have been discussing the death of newspapers. According to CNN today, the AJC is losing 1 million dollars a week. They have the Cox empire supporting them, but many papers are in much worse shape.

The next generation is going to get their news from the front page of Yahoo. They will not click to read editorials or reviews. I myself will not click online advertising. I don't understand why advertisers think they can have as much of an impact using internet ads as they do using print. Personally, I don't even notice an online ad anymore.

I read several newspapers online, from the various states we have lived in. I only click links that interest me, so in no way do I have the full picture of what is happening in the area. I don't know what the answer is, I just know that the day I fail to find a paper at the end of my driveway is going to be a sad one.

Old 03-23-2009, 09:45 PM

1,755 posts, read 5,019,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
According to CNN today, the AJC is losing 1 million dollars a week. They have the Cox empire supporting them, but many papers are in much worse shape.
CNN is losing quite a bit as well. I gave up on the Rag and CNN years ago. The only place newspapers have is with the older demographic b/c they've read newspapers their entire lives.

The younger crowd gets their news online, free, real time, multiple choices, etc.

Newspapers will have to become smaller if they want to survive. Their time has come and passed.

Old 03-23-2009, 10:07 PM

13,160 posts, read 20,776,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt6974a View Post
The younger crowd gets their news online, free, real time, multiple choices, etc.
I think the OP's point, which I agree with, is that the younger crowd will become less informed if their news is limited to whatever they choose to click on.

Old 03-23-2009, 11:31 PM

1,940 posts, read 8,206,602 times
Quote:
I doubt people are replacing reading the paper by going to the Internet and getting informed on local Atlanta news.
Atlanta News, Sports, Atlanta Weather, Business News | ajc.com

just because they're not buying the print version doesn't mean they're not reading it online. i read my local paper online; mostly because like the AJC, its not worth paying for.

Quote:
I think the end result is that people will be less informed about what is going on locally in the future, ie concerts, theatre, restaurants, local happenings etc.
I think you're wrong.

people who are interested in those things are going to discover them.

even with the demise of print media (which we've seen coming for a long time), I think most of these companies will live on in the digital world, if they can adapt. if not, they'll just be replaced by someone who understands the new medium. newspapers will eventually be digital only, and you're never going to pay for one again. you'll just login and see what's happening, or have it automatically sent to your e-mail or cell phone each morning.

Old 03-24-2009, 01:18 AM

7,848 posts, read 18,265,202 times
Quote:
I think the OP's point, which I agree with, is that the younger crowd will become less informed if their news is limited to whatever they choose to click on.
Isn't choosing to click on something much easier and more convenient than going to the trouble of buying or subscribing to a newspaper?

I find that the same stories are found in both places, so I'm not sure why anyone would be less informed without the print version...and both versions have to be read, it's just that one is read on your computer screen while the other is read in print form. Either way, it's still reading.

Old 03-24-2009, 05:41 AM

2,206 posts, read 6,073,724 times
Quote:
What is going on with the AJC? Pretty soon, it'll be reduced to a phamplet. I know papers are having a tough time, but why bother to put out a paper at all if they put out this junk? Nothing but AP stories, crime stories and PR stories about the police. It was a real paper a few years ago but it has gone downhill so quickly. I doubt people are replacing reading the paper by going to the Internet and getting informed on local Atlanta news.
Newspapers are in huge trouble nation wide. The 146 years old Seattle Post-Intelligencer shut down last week. The Christian Science Monitor became a website only, months ago.

You may be correct that people will become less informed as printed newspapers disappear. However, the collapse of newspapers is plainly due to people shifting their news reading to the internet.

Old 03-24-2009, 06:00 AM

23,049 posts, read 35,003,509 times
Quote:
I think this is a good point actually; that's why I take the WSJ. The Drudge Report is pretty succinct, but does carry a wide array of editorials with a very fair sample of viewpoints.
My husband takes the London Times and Le Monde because he likes to get the overseas viewpoint.

Old 03-24-2009, 06:24 AM

826 posts, read 2,786,016 times
IMO, many media places were very behind the times and did not recognize the impact the internet would have of their business. The companies without innovation are really suffering. I am not sure how CNN is doing but Turner as a whole is doing OK because of all the services they provide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta