Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 08:29 PM

381 posts, read 506,950 times

Advertisements

awsome, a seatbelt debate....

it's better to invest in driver training instead of creating common sense laws. make it more difficult to acquire a driver's license. this way only responsible, insured drivers that willingly wear seat belts are on the road and not the lazy drivers that drive with their knees while eating or doing other things while driving.

same with helmets, make it more difficult to get a motorcycle endorsement (tiered licensing).

the goal is not to make irresponsible drivers legal, but to weed them off the roads. responsible drivers don't need laws to make them do what they already do willingly.

make speeding fines stiff, mandatory community service. first dui offense is vehicle fortfeiture. minimum age for drivers should be 25. make public transportation more desirable. this should spur competition for private transportation services.

-a|ex
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2009, 06:12 AM

136 posts, read 478,367 times
In addition to the other points already made, we are also throwing away millions of dollars in federal funding...

Old 03-26-2009, 08:14 AM

1,655 posts, read 3,247,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityrover View Post
They stuck it to us with the 200$ fine surcharge, which WILL backfire.

I dont wear a seatbelt, truck or no truck. You can't legislate how i live my life. Simple.
Nobody can force you to wear a seatbelt... nobody can force you not to kill another human, either.

Old 03-26-2009, 06:47 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,810,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
I'm I credible enough?

House committee rejects seat belt changes | ajc.com (http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/stories/2009/03/24/truck_seat_belt.html - broken link)

To remain credible, you should have posted this link 2 pages ago with the original post. It that direct enough?

I still can't located where trucks are exempt in the Georgia Seatbelt law. Here are the exemptions, directly from the Seatbelt Law website: Georgia's Seat Belt Law

GA. L. 2000, pages 763-764, Code 40-8-76.1, item C

The requirement of (item B) of this Code shall not apply to:

Quote:
1) A driver or passenger frequently stopping and leaving the vehicle or delivering property from the vehicle or delivering property from the vehicle, if the speed of the vehicle between stops does not exceed 15 miles per hour;

2) A driver or passenger possessing a written statement from a physician that such a person is unable, for medical or physical reasons, to wear a seat safety belt;

3) A driver or passenger possessing an official certificate or license endorsement issued by the appropriate agency in another state or country indicating that the driver is unable for medical, physical or other valid reasons to wear a seat safety belt;

4) A driver operating a passenger vehicle in reverse;

5) A passenger vehicle with a model year prior to 1965;

6) A passenger vehicle which is not required to be equipped with seat safety belts under federal law;

7) A passenger vehicle operated by a rural letter carrier of the United States Postal Service while performing duties as a rural letter carrier;

8) A passenger vehicle from which a person is delivering newspapers; or

9) A passenger vehicle performing an emergency service.

Last edited by DeaconJ; 03-26-2009 at 07:01 PM..

Old 03-26-2009, 06:48 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,810,197 times
Quote:
They stuck it to us with the 200$ fine surcharge, which WILL backfire.

I dont wear a seatbelt, truck or no truck. You can't legislate how i live my life. Simple.
You'll be the winner when you're paralyzed in a minor fender-bender, won't you?

Old 03-26-2009, 11:35 PM

1,352 posts, read 4,375,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
You'll be the winner when you're paralyzed in a minor fender-bender, won't you?
And how does that affect you again?

Old 03-27-2009, 07:40 AM

3,478 posts, read 7,255,485 times
Quote:
Assuming you have medical and auto insurance, your fellow members will be paying higher premiums on both. If you don't have either, then the taxpayers will be paying for it.

Old 03-27-2009, 07:44 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,295,927 times
Quote:
So, if you took your eyes off the road for two seconds and caused an accident which resulted in someome becoming paralyzed, that would not bother you?

Old 04-01-2009, 08:16 AM

2,848 posts, read 6,438,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
To remain credible, you should have posted this link 2 pages ago with the original post. It that direct enough?

I still can't located where trucks are exempt in the Georgia Seatbelt law. Here are the exemptions, directly from the Seatbelt Law website: Georgia's Seat Belt Law

GA. L. 2000, pages 763-764, Code 40-8-76.1, item C

The requirement of (item B) of this Code shall not apply to:
I've been aware of the fact you're not required to wear seatbelts in pickups in Georgia for years. There's often T.V. news stories done about the fight to change this because Georgia is one of only 2 states in the union that doesn't require it (according to the article the last state, so I guess the other state recently fell in line with the rest of the U.S.) There have been several attempts to change this but they were all shot down by politicians that are afraid of @#issing off the rural voters and farmers many of whom for different reasons prefer to drive their pickups without seatbelts when working.

Old 04-01-2009, 11:18 AM

1,352 posts, read 4,375,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
So, if you took your eyes off the road for two seconds and caused an accident which resulted in someome becoming paralyzed, that would not bother you?

How does me wearing a seat belt would prevent that?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta