Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 05:34 PM

16,700 posts, read 29,521,595 times

Advertisements

Cobb or DeKalb?

I'd much rather live with Jesus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2009, 08:42 PM

3 posts, read 19,730 times
I wouldn't knock DeKalb schools. The Decatur school system is great. Even the DeKalb County school system is a lot better than people give it credit for; the high school I attended (Chamblee High) is one of the top in the nation, according to Newsweek's annual rankings.

Plus, children are likely to be exposed to a LOT more diversity (depending on where they live) in DeKalb than Cobb. This is important in this international day and age, when most careers increasingly require interaction with many different kinds of people. I know my experiences in DeKalb public schools have helped me tremendously in navigating college and a career in the sciences.

Old 03-26-2009, 08:50 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,191,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
I'd much rather live with Jesus.
Does that mean you'd rather be dead, or living somewhere with illegal Mexicans?

Old 03-26-2009, 08:52 PM

95 posts, read 283,539 times
Totalling Decatur and Dekalb school systems, there are 23 high schools. Noting the fact that 2 of these schools - a magnet school (Chamblee) and the sole Decatur high school - are quality schools is hardly a defense of the county as a whole.

Old 03-26-2009, 10:39 PM

16,700 posts, read 29,521,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herr_Brush View Post
Totalling Decatur and Dekalb school systems, there are 23 high schools. Noting the fact that 2 of these schools - a magnet school (Chamblee) and the sole Decatur high school - are quality schools is hardly a defense of the county as a whole.
There are many other good schools in DeKalb...

Old 03-28-2009, 11:58 AM

840 posts, read 2,086,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
There are many other good schools in DeKalb...

I went to Miller Grove High(not middle(worst middle school ever sister had to fight some girl up for hitting her in the face for no reason) in Dekalb I loved that scool felt almost like college and then my G'ma moved us to clayton county(those are bad schools)

I have family that live in Cobb County, and they will move nowhere else in the metro area. I find Marietta to resemble decatur alot just more illegal immigrants walking around "everywhere"

I personally like Dekalb better because the women look better there, it might be the sun tho

Old 03-29-2009, 04:43 PM

2 posts, read 4,573 times
Let's face it. Dekalb is a big fat ghetto that is going through a gradual regentrification process in certain areas. There are some really good progressive pockets in Dekalb but there are still many gloriously ghetto areas that the mother ship is still looking for. I live in Doraville and i like it because
there is absoloutely none of the snobbishness or acute arrogance that you find in areas populated by the monied elite monkeys running around town in there fresh BMW's eager to run people over.
MY neighborhood is diverse with an Spanish influence and it feels comfortable because i can go outside without feeling like I'm about to be arrested because I'm black and I'm wearing casual clothes.

Old 03-29-2009, 04:49 PM

750 posts, read 2,276,501 times
It appears the poster with Cobb.

Acworth vs. Kennesaw ?? what are the pros/cons

Old 03-30-2009, 05:51 AM

1,333 posts, read 3,225,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonPaul View Post
It appears the poster with Cobb.

Acworth vs. Kennesaw ?? what are the pros/cons
Good for her. I grew up in Kennesaw, she made the right choice.

Old 03-30-2009, 02:45 PM

360 posts, read 1,011,269 times
I can't speak to Cobb. I've only driven through once. DeKalb is a mixed bag. Decatur, and the areas around Emory, and Pine Lake, are jewels. Some parts of DeKalb south and east of Memorial are ... well ... in need of improvement, from my perspective. And DeKalb government and services can't hold a candle to Mecklenburg government and services.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta