U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2009, 07:51 AM

1,993 posts, read 2,924,285 times

Advertisements

Personally, I don't think Fayette REALLY NEEDS it yet or soon. It will in the future and it is a smart thing to start planning now, however, there should be NO WAY that Fayette gets commuter rail transit before Gwinnett, Cobb, Clayton and even Henry.

The arguement that mass transit brings crime is VERY stupid. Fairfax, Co. in VA is HIGHLY populated, HAS a subway system, commuter rail, and rapid bus service connecting it directly to Prince George's County, MD. And yet, Fairfax, Co is among the nation's top school districts, and among the lowest crime rates in the region, while Prince George's County is among the most dangerous Counties in the nation, and among the worst school districts in the nation.
It's just a stupid arguement. Listen to the music. Thugs don't talk about riding MARTA. They ride Heavy Chevys and all... What does bring crime is 'adult' entertainment, NOT trains.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2009, 02:17 PM

880 posts, read 2,467,684 times
I think Fayette needs it soon, as well as all of those other counties. And if anything, Fayette certainly needs some kind of public transportation, be it express buses or rail. My dad and brother commute to Atlanta from PTC and both would be THRILLED to have an option other than sitting in traffic on Highway 74.

Old 03-26-2009, 02:30 PM

44,571 posts, read 43,103,689 times
Paulding County could certainly use it.

Old 03-26-2009, 02:41 PM

2,676 posts, read 5,071,942 times
You think this is the only place that is like that. Ever been to Detroit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprascooby22 View Post
Nope, I would be happier if this town resembled more of the place that I grew up in and not a crime infested dump where the "nice" parts of town are over run every 10 years with criminals and incompetents! Where else in the US do you have to move every 5 to 10 years to avoid this?

Old 03-26-2009, 02:59 PM

1,301 posts, read 1,852,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah View Post
You think this is the only place that is like that. Ever been to Detroit.
My apologies I wasnt aware that anyone actually wanted to move to Detroit or I would have included it. LOL

Old 03-26-2009, 06:44 PM

7,848 posts, read 17,804,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suprascooby22 View Post
My apologies I wasnt aware that anyone actually wanted to move to Detroit or I would have included it. LOL
You aren't aware of very many things apparently...realistic ones, anyway. If you continue to remain stuck in your 1975 Atlanta and long for "the good old days" - which incidentally weren't very good for millions of people - you'll always be unhappy with life.

Old 03-26-2009, 07:28 PM

9,190 posts, read 29,573,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
Paulding County could certainly use it.
HUSH

LOL... I can only say this. There is a particular Paulding-specific message board online, where even recently the topic of public transportation coming there one day came up in conversation.

One could hear the sound of shotguns "ca-chinking" as they were loaded.

The sounds of "geet ready boys! Theys a'comin!" could be heard in the background.

Realtor phone lines rang off the hook as people requested "for sale" signs for their yards....

In other words, while there is one GRTA extress bus route that goes as far as Paulding now, that alone stirred up the natives there into rants and raves about how the entire county would be filled with "all kinds of people as a result".... and it was scary.

So if it's left to a vote... no, Paulding will never have transit. If the State or regional authority were to ever be able to put it there without a vote, well, all I can say is, the Realtors out in West Georgia will be very happy with the number of people looking for new homes!

Old 03-26-2009, 09:23 PM

44,571 posts, read 43,103,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
HUSH

LOL... I can only say this. There is a particular Paulding-specific message board online, where even recently the topic of public transportation coming there one day came up in conversation.

One could hear the sound of shotguns "ca-chinking" as they were loaded.

The sounds of "geet ready boys! Theys a'comin!" could be heard in the background.

Realtor phone lines rang off the hook as people requested "for sale" signs for their yards....

In other words, while there is one GRTA extress bus route that goes as far as Paulding now, that alone stirred up the natives there into rants and raves about how the entire county would be filled with "all kinds of people as a result".... and it was scary.

So if it's left to a vote... no, Paulding will never have transit. If the State or regional authority were to ever be able to put it there without a vote, well, all I can say is, the Realtors out in West Georgia will be very happy with the number of people looking for new homes!

What I get from this post is that alot of people aren't looking out for that person who needs to get out to Atlanta for things to do and doesn't have a car. I can't wait to leave Paulding if that is how many people feel about it. There are some people who don't have cars or the ability to drive. I have a friend who has blindness in one eye. He can't drive because of that. He lives in the unincorporated part of Cobb County with his parents. He can't depend on them forever. Unfortunately, most people who are against public transit don't think about that.

Old 03-26-2009, 09:42 PM

9,190 posts, read 29,573,979 times
Quote:
What I get from this post is that alot of people aren't looking out for that person who needs to get out to Atlanta for things to do and doesn't have a car. I can't wait to leave Paulding if that is how many people feel about it.
Well, I can assure you, that while SOME folks support transit out there and will step up and fight with the best of them in the forum I was talking about, they are probably outnumbers 2-to-1 (at least) by the "riled up" types who would indeed make you want to leave the county. It's not a lost county - a more mixed group of people are moving there slowly, but it's not the capital of modernism in the way of thinking, either.

I do envision a few more Xpress bus routes over time there, but again, some sort of regional transit agency that had the power to place service there without public voting on it would be needed to get it there. And then there will probably be people dressed in Confederate uniforms around the Dallas Courthouse demanding their "rights" be returned as a result.

Quote:
There are some people who don't have cars or the ability to drive. I have a friend who has blindness in one eye. He can't drive because of that. He lives in the unincorporated part of Cobb County with his parents. He can't depend on them forever. Unfortunately, most people who are against public transit don't think about that.
As far as the people you are talking about go, there are services for the handicapped and/or elderly in place in Cobb I know for sure, and I'm pretty sure in Paulding too. Tiny mini buses that pick them up for a fee and bring them back from doctor's appointments, shopping, etc. So while the general public may be out when it comes to transit in every corner of the counties, I think the handicapped and elderly are covered in that respect. At least I know CCT does it in Cobb and I'd be shocked if Paulding didn't offer something similar.

Old 03-26-2009, 10:04 PM

880 posts, read 2,467,684 times
Hehe, at least Paulding County has an express bus route (whether voluntarily or not). Fayette is the only ARC county in metro Atlanta without one. I really don't see the harm in allowing something like that to be implemented.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or