Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 08:30 PM

304 posts, read 856,431 times

Advertisements

I wonder if your quality of life has improved or worsened...and how.
thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2009, 08:47 PM

304 posts, read 856,431 times
ANYONE

Old 03-26-2009, 10:12 PM

880 posts, read 2,862,090 times
Well, since no one else has responded yet, I'll give my take. I moved from NH down to Fayette County (suburbs) in the early 90's. I found the schools there (even though they were ranked the best in the state) were behind compared to the school I had been attending in NH. Now I'm sure the experience is different in the city of Atlanta itself, but I was not fond of the Atlanta suburbs and felt out of place being a liberal in a very conservative area. Would have like some public transportation options in the burbs as well.

Old 03-26-2009, 10:38 PM

440 posts, read 1,691,518 times
Well I live 50 miles from Atlanta and where I moved from in Maine.. It is heaven.. Maine is so backward the people are so phony..so cold and just really mean.... I love the Southern hospitality and will never live UPNORTH AGAIN! The schools are great and the hospitals are A1......

Old 03-27-2009, 05:18 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,380,037 times
Coming from NJ, our lifestyle has improved dramatically. In NJ, we were living in a 3 br/1ba, 1,000 sf 50 y/o home that constantly needed work, and the only reason we were even able to afford that house was because we bought it in 1999. Our property taxes were over $6,000/year, we had to deal with snow and crappy weather in the winter, and the schools (despite the "NJ schools are the greatest-that's why property taxes are so high" BS) were fair at best.

We now have a brand new, 4br/2.5ba, 2,400 sf home on twice the property, our taxes are 1/2 of what they were in NJ, and the schools are much better- my younger daughter is learning far more in Kindergarten than my older daughter did in NJ. The pace is more relaxed, my salary is the same, and the people are easier to get along with.

Traffic is about the same as what we were dealing with in central NJ, so don't let that scare you.

Old 03-27-2009, 05:47 AM

1,808 posts, read 4,038,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Coming from NJ, our lifestyle has improved dramatically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gussie View Post
Well I live 50 miles from Atlanta and where I moved from in Maine.. It is heaven..
Wow, it is great to hear this. When I lived in Florida I heard quite the opposite. If it were not for the nice weather, you would have thought every thing great only exists above the Mason/Dixon!!

Last edited by Bulldawgfan; 03-27-2009 at 05:49 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 03-27-2009, 05:53 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,380,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawgfan View Post
Wow, it is great to hear this. When I lived in Florida I heard quite the opposite. If it were not for the nice weather, you would have thought every thing great only exists above the Mason/Dixon!!
That's how he knuckleheads who can't bear to leave rationalize their decisions- they make everyone else think that there's no place on earth that could possibly be better.....lol.

Old 03-27-2009, 07:29 AM

1,655 posts, read 3,246,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
That's how he knuckleheads who can't bear to leave rationalize their decisions- they make everyone else think that there's no place on earth that could possibly be better.....lol.
It all depends on where you wind up living, what your commute is like and what your lifestyle is. If you're from the north, like I am, you enjoy the bigger homes, the more relaxed pace (maybe) but you miss the diversity and open-mindedness. If you come from an urban area, you will miss the public transportation but you will love the open green areas and parks available down here. I don't know... it's a crapshoot. It all depends on what you're looking for. GA has been just ok for us... not great... not terrible... but not memorable thus far.

Old 03-27-2009, 12:26 PM

840 posts, read 2,086,474 times
Moving from Fayetteville NC to clayton county was a culture shock to me the people in that county are backwards and the schools was a B- student in NC and i came hear and made straignt A's learning stuff I already learned in Middle school there. but once I graduated and moved into the city life has gotten better for me. I love the city inside the perimeter its really what southern hospitality is

Old 03-27-2009, 01:44 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,083,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrynyc View Post
ANYONE
You complained after 17 minutes?? I'm lucky if I get to read C-D once a day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta