Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 08:55 PM

36 posts, read 116,020 times

Advertisements

Up here in Illinois we have certain builders we know to avoid. I am looking at moving to the Atlanta area and would like to know what builders down there that should be avoided.

I'm not talking about the "I once had a bad experience with builder X". Everyone can have a bad experience with a builder. I am talking about the builders that if you mention them to a bunch of Atlanteans (Atlantanites? lol) everyone nods there heads and says, "That builder is horrid and I'd never build with them."

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2009, 08:54 PM

857 posts, read 4,873,359 times
Legacy Communities

Old 03-30-2009, 07:37 AM

36 posts, read 116,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthmeetsSouth View Post
Legacy Communities
Thanks. I had emailed them for information and got nothing but run around. All I wanted was some basic information as to what came standard in their homes so I would know if I needed to upgrade like crazy or what. I could not get a straight answer and I decided I wouldn't even consider them. This post verifies my feelings.

Thank you!

Old 03-30-2009, 07:41 AM

970 posts, read 2,944,850 times
Most any "national" builder (Centex, DR Horton, KB, Lennar, etc).

Old 03-30-2009, 09:20 AM

1,655 posts, read 3,242,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaflsc View Post
Most any "national" builder (Centex, DR Horton, KB, Lennar, etc).
Really? That's counterintuitive. It's usually the local builders that try to cut corners. Public builders usually have more controls in place.

Old 03-30-2009, 09:25 AM

970 posts, read 2,944,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsmoove View Post
Really? That's counterintuitive. It's usually the local builders that try to cut corners. Public builders usually have more controls in place.
I disagree. Remember, the national builders tend to be public companies & have to answer to shareholders. These companies tend to "maximize" everything to hold onto a buck. Ever wonder why the national builders tend to price lower the the locals? Same reasons why they build in "tracts", knock over every tree & put 6 homes on an acre of land. They have to maximize in order to generate a return for all their shareholders.

Old 03-30-2009, 10:56 AM

82 posts, read 249,820 times
Default Builders

I have had experience with Traton Homes and have a good experience.

Note: I got immediately deleted from a different earlier post that a statement like this was like advertising.

Regards,
Mike

Old 03-30-2009, 11:11 AM

1,114 posts, read 2,345,855 times
I spent a few months living in a new Pulte townhome development that a coworker bought out in Duluth when I was between places. The house looked like it was slapped together in the matter of days. The foundation settling left 1" gaps in the floor/molding area, the columns for the front door weren't anchored to the concrete (so they swung freely), and the trim paint oddly never dried. The paint was tacky 8 months after move-in. We took a look in the attic and found there was nothing supporting the end wall. You could see the foamboard and screws holding the siding up. First big storm and that was going to collapse and probably take half the roof.

They addressed the front door columns but the rest of the house was considered just part of the home. That also doesn't address how much my coworker overpaid. Since he bought in '06 at somewhere near the 200k mark, I've seen his neighbors dumping in the 120-130k range which killed any equity he managed.

Old 03-31-2009, 08:37 AM

263 posts, read 795,994 times
I live in a DR Horton community, we've been here over 5 years and no problems! All the neighbors I know are happy with their homes and neighborhood!

Old 03-31-2009, 02:22 PM

2 posts, read 10,277 times
David Weekly builds a good home....these days they build to very "Green" standards too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta