Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 08:42 PM

11 posts, read 37,563 times

Advertisements

I heard that in Atlanta they are really big on you having your degree VS. Experience. Is that true. As of today I am still in school, so I am wondering on if I am going to have a hard time getting a job since I don't have it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2009, 08:49 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,872,549 times
Well, this is the way I see it....

If I were in charge of hiring for a company (which I have been in the past): I would want to see a resume that shows me someone has had experience and some training in the skills that are needed for the job they're applying for. How many actual degrees (if any) they have would be irrelevant to me. I'm more interested in working experience and some formal training in the skill-set, but just because you went to school long enough to get a piece of paper doesn't mean you know as much as the guy who's been doing it for ten years who took a night class at community college for it.

Obviously there are exceptions like in the medical fields, etc., where you are required and need to have a certain level of formal training and degrees. This is a generic answer since a specific trade wasn't mentioned.

Old 04-01-2009, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
Well, this is the way I see it....

If I were in charge of hiring for a company (which I have been in the past): I would want to see a resume that shows me someone has had experience and some training in the skills that are needed for the job they're applying for. How many actual degrees (if any) they have would be irrelevant to me. I'm more interested in working experience and some formal training in the skill-set, but just because you went to school long enough to get a piece of paper doesn't mean you know as much as the guy who's been doing it for ten years who took a night class at community college for it.

Obviously there are exceptions like in the medical fields, etc., where you are required and need to have a certain level of formal training and degrees. This is a generic answer since a specific trade wasn't mentioned.
Thanks for your response. I am in the accounting field. Accounts receivable. I have a certification in Make-up artistry but I just started that. I am just wondering on what career would accomodate me the most.

Old 04-01-2009, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tishea View Post
Thanks for your response. I am in the accounting field. Accounts receivable. I have a certification in Make-up artistry but I just started that. I am just wondering on what career would accomodate me the most.
In Atlanta? Accounting.

Old 04-01-2009, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
In Atlanta? Accounting.
So what does that mean? I don't have a chance?

Well what industry is hot in Atlanta?

Old 04-01-2009, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tishea View Post
So what does that mean? I don't have a chance?

Well what industry is hot in Atlanta?
Well yes, you have a chance at getting an accounting job! I mean, you have experience in it, and it's a commonly needed position in many companies here, so your odds of getting an accounts type position would be decently good at least compared to some others.

Atlanta does have an arts community here (theatre, TV production, etc) but this isn't NYC, so while there's a "you never know" factor about getting a job in that field, it's not as sure of a bet as numbers (accounting). Sorry. Obviously don't give up your dream. TRY. Still, it's one of those, "don't give up your day job" type of things, too.

Of course, Atlanta's largest business was realty, but of course you know where that is across the board in the U.S. now (and strongly so here). The medical and education fields are still chugging along, but I'm not aware of any schools or hospitals that need make-up artists (though they do need accountants occasionally).

Old 04-01-2009, 10:12 PM

Okay.. I really appreciate your response. As of today I still feel confident about coming.

Old 04-02-2009, 06:22 AM

165 posts, read 548,534 times
In addition to your degree, make sure your padding your experience with an internship during your junior/senior studies. Instead of settling for a mom-pop business, strive to support a fortune 500 or other reputable business if you can (dependent upon your degree and personal aspirations). Then start to consider certifications you could achieve shortly after graduation.

Old 04-02-2009, 07:34 AM

Will do...Thanks for your advice.... I wonder how long it will take me to find a job?

Old 04-02-2009, 07:52 AM

239 posts, read 922,438 times
I don't know about Accounting in particular, but I've wondered the same thing (education vs. experience). In my experience, I've found it to be a generational issue. I'm young (25) - and for my peers, your degree(s) is/are important for getting your foot in the door. For the older generation... not so much. I know several directors and EVPs in cooperate with English degrees but a boat-load of experience who are only now going back to get Executive MBAs (maybe).

I think times are changing, and for my generation a big emphasis has been put on education. Bachelor's degrees today are what High School diplomas were 30 years ago.

All that said, experience is still important also. They want both... I guess that is where internships come in handy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: