U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 09:16 AM

7,732 posts, read 12,159,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Who cares about any of these people? They are all council people and all of them had a hand in turning the city from a fairly decent places into a craphole. The city has not had a decent Mayor since Andrew Young and probably won't this time either.
Wow! Since you have stated your opinion, I will state mine.

You couldn't be further from the truth. Care to enlighten us as to how the City has become a craphole?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2009, 09:43 AM

1,652 posts, read 2,886,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post

You couldn't be further from the truth. Care to enlighten us as to how the City has become a craphole?
Yeah, it's odd to me too... I havent been here long but the City seems to be doing fairly well... the biggest issue I see is lack of police presence and too many homeless downtown. Otherwise, it seems to me that the State Government is more screwed up than the Atlanta city government.

Old 04-11-2009, 10:18 AM

16,248 posts, read 21,335,607 times
Quote:

It is crime ridden, you cannot go anywhere- even to a gas station- without either be hassled by the hordes of homeless people or criminals and you do not dare leave your car parked anywhere after dark unless you want your window smashed and your car looted- or just completely stolen. And if you dare to live in the city (I don't), you can fully expect to have your door kicked in and your HDTV swiped- even if you have an alarm! That is because both Shirley and Bill have balanced their budgets by cutting the police, fire and EMS services- all the while them and the council raise their own pay and office expense accounts.
And they always say "there is not enough money" in a city where you can count dozens of cranes in the sky. And if that is not enough, try driving from Downtown to Buckhead on any weekday. Peachtree Street? You will run into at least 4 lane closures and the trip will take you an hour. Same with Piedmont. Only here do we have to close every road during the day to do this stuff. In other places, like Dallas, such work is performed at night. I have lived here since 1996 and the quality of the city declines more every year. It used to be a nice place.

Old 04-11-2009, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsmoove View Post
Yeah, it's odd to me too... I havent been here long but the City seems to be doing fairly well... the biggest issue I see is lack of police presence and too many homeless downtown. Otherwise, it seems to me that the State Government is more screwed up than the Atlanta city government.
They are both screwed up. Give me back Zell Miller and Andy Young and we will be rockin again!

Old 04-11-2009, 10:33 AM

Quote:
It is crime ridden, you cannot go anywhere- even to a gas station- without either be hassled by the hordes of homeless people or criminals and you do not dare leave your car parked anywhere after dark unless you want your window smashed and your car looted- or just completely stolen. And if you dare to live in the city (I don't), you can fully expect to have your door kicked in and your HDTV swiped- even if you have an alarm! That is because both Shirley and Bill have balanced their budgets by cutting the police, fire and EMS services- all the while them and the council raise their own pay and office expense accounts.
And they always say "there is not enough money" in a city where you can count dozens of cranes in the sky. And if that is not enough, try driving from Downtown to Buckhead on any weekday. Peachtree Street? You will run into at least 4 lane closures and the trip will take you an hour. Same with Piedmont. Only here do we have to close every road during the day to do this stuff. In other places, like Dallas, such work is performed at night. I have lived here since 1996 and the quality of the city declines more every year. It used to be a nice place.
You have just described about every major city in the country. You also need to be reminded that we are still in the midst of rebuilding our sewer system.

Look, I'm in the City just about every day, and I see none of this. Crime is up throughout the metro, the City does not "own" crime.

Re: Andrew Young, you do know that he really didn't run the day to day ops of the City, right? He was so busy globetrotting, Shirley actually ran things for him.

He took a LOT of flak for always being away back then, but he always came back with some sort of economic plum. So what you were actually seeing back then was a preview of Shirley's way of doing things.

I agree with you on Zell Miller, pretty much. I also liked Roy Barnes.

Old 04-11-2009, 12:35 PM

250 posts, read 530,817 times
Lol its funny to read the racial context in a few of the post. Yet some people from Atlanta try to act like. Their so further ahead of other georgia cities. When it comes to race relations mainly between blacks and whites.

Augusta's mayor is white. So why not Atlanta?

One thing mayor Deke did do in Augusta. He went to the projects and trailer park communites before. He visited the middle class, upper middle class, and wealthy areas in Augusta. Deke's first stop was to go into Eastbound. If a white mayor from Atlanta would do his first press conference in Bankhead for example. That would shake things up. Our mayor was able to gain both black and white support throughout Augusta.

Old 04-11-2009, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barii View Post
Lol its funny to read the racial context in a few of the post. Yet some people from Atlanta try to act like. Their so further ahead of other georgia cities. When it comes to race relations mainly between blacks and whites.

One thing mayor Deke did do in Augusta. He went to the projects and trailer park communites before. He visited the middle class, upper middle class, and wealthy areas in Augusta. Deke's first stop was to go into Eastbound. If a white mayor from Atlanta would do his first press conference in Bankhead for example. That would shake things up. Our mayor was able to gain both black and white support throughout Augusta.
Um, we've already been there, done that.

Atlanta's voters elected - and reelected a white, out lesbian as City Council President back in the early 90's.

Trust me when I tell you we are pretty enlightened over this way.

Old 04-13-2009, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barii View Post

It does not matter to me what colour the Mayor is as long as they are competent and can run the city in a decent manner. I don't care what colour they are. I have lived under great white Mayors (Daley in Chicago) and under great black Mayors (Washington of Chicago) and I know the difference between a bad Mayor and a good Mayor- the main one being that the good mayor keeps the cops on the beat and when you call 911, they answer and the ambulance or fire engine comes in a timely manner. Other than that, keep the streets clean, the parks running and I am pretty happy.

Old 04-13-2009, 12:30 PM

Quote:
You have just described about every major city in the country. You also need to be reminded that we are still in the midst of rebuilding our sewer system.

Look, I'm in the City just about every day, and I see none of this. Crime is up throughout the metro, the City does not "own" crime.

Re: Andrew Young, you do know that he really didn't run the day to day ops of the City, right? He was so busy globetrotting, Shirley actually ran things for him.

He took a LOT of flak for always being away back then, but he always came back with some sort of economic plum. So what you were actually seeing back then was a preview of Shirley's way of doing things.

I agree with you on Zell Miller, pretty much. I also liked Roy Barnes.
Was Zel Miller a good governor? My only exposure to him was the 2004 Republican convention and he came off as a dishonest lunatic.

Old 04-13-2009, 12:52 PM

Quote:
It does not matter to me what colour the Mayor is as long as they are competent and can run the city in a decent manner. I don't care what colour they are. I have lived under great white Mayors (Daley in Chicago) and under great black Mayors (Washington of Chicago) and I know the difference between a bad Mayor and a good Mayor- the main one being that the good mayor keeps the cops on the beat and when you call 911, they answer and the ambulance or fire engine comes in a timely manner. Other than that, keep the streets clean, the parks running and I am pretty happy.
Co-sign. That is the one thing I don't understand... lack of cops in Atlanta... I see more cops in Cobb County and that doesn't make any sense. The homeless operate with impunity... which leads to petty crime... my wife's car was broken into and our GPS stolen... same thing happened to a friend. Little stuff but annoying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or