Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 10:10 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,797,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
Um do you not see the problem in people voting solely on race? they are ignoring the issues, which is the most important part.

Every mayor since 1973 has been black, and that is so because the black atlantans will only vote for a black candidate and do not care about anything other than race.

The candidates know this, so they play into the blacks fears by being openly racist, and once they are in office usually appoint only blacks to city positions like police chief, although this seems to have changed somewhat.

Personally, I dont think Norwood will be shirley part 3, basically solely due to the fact that she is not black.
You do realize that this is not just black people that vote soley on race.Before 1973 ,there were white mayors who were elected based on race.Partly due to blacks that could not win or even more difficult for them to run.White politicians did not have the interest of black citizens.That's why we have what we have today.To Shirley Franklin' s credit, there has been a more unity in the city than before when it was Bill Campbell.Its not right period.I feel that the younger black politicians like Kasim Reed understand this.Lisa Borders as well.I think whoever is the next mayor will bring about positive changes in race relations in Atlanta..Also whoever it is will more than likely be a moderate no matter whether they are white or black.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2009, 11:19 AM

23,464 posts, read 44,083,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
You do realize that this is not just black people that vote soley on race.Before 1973 ,there were white mayors who were elected based on race.Partly due to blacks that could not win or even more difficult for them to run.White politicians did not have the interest of black citizens.That's why we have what we have today.To Shirley Franklin' s credit, there has been a more unity in the city than before when it was Bill Campbell.Its not right period.I feel that the younger black politicians like Kasim Reed understand this.Lisa Borders as well.I think whoever is the next mayor will bring about positive changes in race relations in Atlanta..Also whoever it is will more than likely be a moderate no matter whether they are white or black.
In former Mayor Ivan Allen's NYT obituary, it was written:

"Mr. Allen, the grandson of a Confederate cavalryman, came from a wealthy and distinguished Georgia family and overcame his original segregationist beliefs. This personal transformation allowed him to lead Atlanta to desegregate schools, its' municipal work force, and its' businesses with such deftness that the city gained a national reputation for racial tolerance during his service as mayor, from 1962 to 1970."

It also mentions the fact that Mayor Allen:

- desegregated the city swimming pools
- hired the city's first black fireman
- hosted the famous dinner to honor Dr. King upon his winning the Nobel Peace Prize
- brokered a deal to desegregate city lunch counters as Chamber of Commerce President
- personally intervened to help quell a race riot in the Summerhill neighborhood (the police wore helmets, but he refused)

I think if the New York Times can give him his due, you can.

Old 04-04-2009, 01:03 PM

1,303 posts, read 3,856,826 times
Doesn't matter if the black vote splits.. because under Georgia law, a candidate cannot win an election by a plurality.. so the two top vote getters would face in a runoff.
The number on qualification for being mayor of Atlanta is being black.

Old 04-05-2009, 07:17 AM

81 posts, read 292,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
I think those blacks who think like that are usually those who are poorer or work for city government.There are a lot of educated blacks that would easily vote for a white candidate.We feel like the Atlanta governments needs and overhaul as well. Alot of blacks are vote for SOME of these black candidates just because they give good lip service to not allowing the racism Atlanta had before blacks to power.Many blacks are fear what will happen if a white candidate wins,they will be ignored.So they vote for these politicians that cater to that fear only to serve themselves and their elite black friends.Clark Howard is the type of canindate that would attract black voters as well as white.Bob Barr or Ralph Reed types would never work.Lisa Borders I have heard is very connected to the business establishment.Some blacks i have heard say that she does not have the interest of blacks at heart.I personally do not know what she will do.However If she governs with the interest ALL people in mind then she will do well.Shirley Franklin,despite some missteps,for the most part has govern this way but like it was said earlier,"she could be a little harder".Unforturenately it only starts with the Mayor.The council and the attitude of the city work force needs to change
Afonega1, thanks very much for your response....I really respect your sentiments. Again, like I said, for me it's not about the race (I would probably re-elect Shirley if she was eligible because I think her heart is in the right place) but it's about someone that recognizes that Atlanta needs somewhat of an overhaul and really just needs to become more lean and putting the right people in the right places who have quality experience.

Old 04-05-2009, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
In former Mayor Ivan Allen's NYT obituary, it was written:

"Mr. Allen, the grandson of a Confederate cavalryman, came from a wealthy and distinguished Georgia family and overcame his original segregationist beliefs. This personal transformation allowed him to lead Atlanta to desegregate schools, its' municipal work force, and its' businesses with such deftness that the city gained a national reputation for racial tolerance during his service as mayor, from 1962 to 1970."

It also mentions the fact that Mayor Allen:

- desegregated the city swimming pools
- hired the city's first black fireman
- hosted the famous dinner to honor Dr. King upon his winning the Nobel Peace Prize
- brokered a deal to desegregate city lunch counters as Chamber of Commerce President
- personally intervened to help quell a race riot in the Summerhill neighborhood (the police wore helmets, but he refused)

I think if the New York Times can give him his due, you can.
Yes like Jimmy Carter Georgia has been blessed with some good white leaders.It took white people as well as the resolve of blacks to affect positive change through the years.I apologize if I came across as trying to say that there were none.Atlanta however was still very southern and very racist.It took a man of great courage to defy all the other southern mayors to support civil rights legislation in this country.Even Margaret Mitchell was a saint as she sponsored undergraduate and medical school education of fifty Morehouse College graduates..Racism of any type is wrong by any one.I was just responding to the remarks of someone who I thought that was saying this problem only exist with the black establishment today.What is important is to not pass blame without realizing that mass group people in general respond often times in negative ways.It is up to those of us who are more level headed to make sure that we prevail by speaking up and out against those who want to continue such negative politiccal and social antics.In every race you have leaders such as Ivan Allen Jr and Martin Luther who are logical and progressive who go beyond emotional,ancient prejudice ideas of the past.

Old 04-05-2009, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoBuKev View Post
Afonega1, thanks very much for your response....I really respect your sentiments. Again, like I said, for me it's not about the race (I would probably re-elect Shirley if she was eligible because I think her heart is in the right place) but it's about someone that recognizes that Atlanta needs somewhat of an overhaul and really just needs to become more lean and putting the right people in the right places who have quality experience.
I agree 100 percent!!

Old 04-06-2009, 07:51 AM

1,655 posts, read 3,246,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
Um do you not see the problem in people voting solely on race? they are ignoring the issues, which is the most important part.

Every mayor since 1973 has been black, and that is so because the black atlantans will only vote for a black candidate and do not care about anything other than race.

The candidates know this, so they play into the blacks fears by being openly racist, and once they are in office usually appoint only blacks to city positions like police chief, although this seems to have changed somewhat.

Personally, I dont think Norwood will be shirley part 3, basically solely due to the fact that she is not black.
Well, that was my question... are they voting on race or ideology? Like I said, Michael Steele won't win Atlanta... but probably a Jim Martin would. Blacks tend to be more liberal and of course there is a racial aspect to it but I think it's lazy to just yell race to the exclusion of other factors. Also, what do you mean by "openly racist"? Just asking as I'm new here and have not seen that. As for patronage, I think we can agree that it's not a black issue, though I agree that it excludes a lot of talented people.

Old 04-06-2009, 07:53 AM

1,655 posts, read 3,246,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmusket View Post
Doesn't matter if the black vote splits.. because under Georgia law, a candidate cannot win an election by a plurality.. so the two top vote getters would face in a runoff.
The number on qualification for being mayor of Atlanta is being black.
If President Obama's victory should have showed us anything, it's that we need to stop talking in absolutes. I understand that not being Black in a majority Black city is a barrier, but it's one that can be overcome with the correct message and with good organization.

Old 04-06-2009, 08:59 AM

1,303 posts, read 3,856,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsmoove View Post
If President Obama's victory should have showed us anything, it's that we need to stop talking in absolutes. I understand that not being Black in a majority Black city is a barrier, but it's one that can be overcome with the correct message and with good organization.
What Obama's election showed is that white voters were willing to vote for a black candidate, even when up against a white candidate, in fact white voters split fairly evenly (though a slight majority did vote for McCain) but Obama received well over 90% of the black vote. And in how many instances where a white candidate faces a black candidate, do black voters go against voting along racial lines? Look at the New Orleans mayoral race, where Ray Nagan was reelected. There is a wealthj of voting history that shows that black voters are the most inclined to vote along racial lines.

Old 04-06-2009, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmusket View Post
What Obama's election showed is that white voters were willing to vote for a black candidate, even when up against a white candidate, in fact white voters split fairly evenly (though a slight majority did vote for McCain) but Obama received well over 90% of the black vote. And in how many instances where a white candidate faces a black candidate, do black voters go against voting along racial lines? Look at the New Orleans mayoral race, where Ray Nagan was reelected. There is a wealthj of voting history that shows that black voters are the most inclined to vote along racial lines.
In Georgia especially outside of the metro Atlanta area,white voters did not vote for Obama.In every majority white county in Georgia,whites voted for Mcain.The South although I still love it for how far it has come in racial relations still has a long way to go.It will be a long time before there is a black governor in this state.Many people in the Mountain areas are especially anti Obama and anti -black.I know I will get flack for saying this but its true.Obama won because of whites in the north,midwest and west.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta