Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2009, 05:40 PM

6 posts, read 14,779 times

Advertisements

Thinking about moving to Smyrna from Decatur, but I'm unfamiliar with Smyrna neighborhoods. Could anyone recommend a few good ones? I've heard of Cheney Woods...?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2009, 08:07 PM

1,517 posts, read 6,719,588 times
Single? Married? Kids? No Kids? Rental? Buy? House? Condo?

Old 04-03-2009, 05:56 AM

6 posts, read 14,779 times
single, no kids, would like to buy a single family home. One really cute dog. I don't mind a suburban environment. Are there any particular areas and/or neighborhoods that are more desirable than others? i.e., such as convenience to shopping, distance between neighbors, proximity to parks and recreation areas, etc. Thanks so much.

Old 04-03-2009, 12:47 PM

11,334 posts, read 25,986,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvmis View Post
single, no kids, would like to buy a single family home. One really cute dog. I don't mind a suburban environment. Are there any particular areas and/or neighborhoods that are more desirable than others? i.e., such as convenience to shopping, distance between neighbors, proximity to parks and recreation areas, etc. Thanks so much.
Price range? Do you care about community things such as pools, tennis courts, etc.? There are dozens of subdivisions in Smyrna, and also some older houses not in subdivisions. Prices range from under $100,000 to well over $1 million.

Old 04-03-2009, 06:12 PM

750 posts, read 2,270,364 times
Do a search here on this topic. it's been discussed alot

Old 10-11-2014, 09:09 PM

1 posts, read 987 times
find a job in peachtree atl, trying to move with wife and 4year old daughter. Considering, norcross, smyrna, stockbridge area. what would someone recommend?

Old 10-12-2014, 08:04 AM

2,862 posts, read 3,798,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssimba View Post
find a job in peachtree atl, trying to move with wife and 4year old daughter. Considering, norcross, smyrna, stockbridge area. what would someone recommend?
I'm going to assume you meant you found a job in Peachtree City.

Of the places you've mentioned, I'd go with Stockbridge for commuting convenience. Smyrna and especially not Norcross are exactly a hop, skip, and a jump to Peachtree City. Honestly, I don't know why you would just consider moving to Peachtree City itself since that's where you'll be working. You could also give some thought to Fairburn or Newnan.

Old 10-12-2014, 08:46 AM

3,615 posts, read 7,746,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvmis View Post
Smyrna has a lot of variety. There's also "hot" areas around for single people where these homes tend to be a bit more, like right around Market Village. Then there's areas that are hotter for families. We really need to know your price to help you more. Beyond price, you mentioned suburban is ok. I guess there's some question about what you consider suburban. Would you prefer a walkable area with a density of 5,000+/sq mile like you may find around Market Village in downtown Smyrna, or more spread out newly developed areas with some older homes around like you'd find along the Silver Comet Trail?

I imagine you'd like a larger yard for dog, and don't need too much house. Newer homes that have larger yards tend to be $600k-a couple mill since most newer homes have smaller yards. Older, smaller homes tend to have larger yards. The older ones in better shape with yas that are in the 3br range will usually be in the $200k range. 2br and you're looking at low $100ks to $200k. But if really upgraded, they may go for more, and if needing a lot of work, they may go for less.

So, I'm assuming from your post you want it to be walkable and convenient. I'd focus my search to start in a couple areas and fan out from those:
1. Just South of and around Market Village: Start with older homes in Forest Hills not too far from Taylor-Brawner Park like Collier Dr and Lee St; look at areas within walking distance of the intersection of Spring St and Roswell St just East of Market Village (but not too close to Windy Hill or Village Pkwy) and areas just West of Market village along Church St, along King Springs Rd between Concord Rd and S. Cobb Dr and All within walking distance of Market Village and fan out from there.
2. Around Silver Comet Trail near East-West Connector: There's tons of newer homes and townhomes, but also some older homes with larger yards around the Silver Comet Trail you can look at, such as around Camp Highland and Argo Rd which has a field behind the playground by the Cobb School District Maintenance building where you can run your dog around. There's also a new Sprouts going in across from the Publix, and being within walking distance of there would be kinda cool. This area is spread out, and you'll probably find the most walkable areas just West of West Village and Ivy Walk.

If my assumption is wrong, and you want things more spread out, then I can give other options (like Laurel Lake and Ridge Rd area)

If you can afford them, the new David Weekly homes at the new Belmont Hills development will have a dog park, but you'd probably need to keep your dog indoors when not at the dog park. So I still think an older larger-yard home would be better.

Note that Smyrna has a leash law for dogs when being walked.

Last edited by netdragon; 10-12-2014 at 09:04 AM..

Old 10-12-2014, 09:36 AM

2,530 posts, read 4,749,758 times
netdragon - the original post that you are responding to is 5 years old

Here is the current post which is further down the thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssimba View Post

ssimba - please clarify what you mean by "peachtree atl" - Are you talking about Peachtree City or are you referring to Peachtree Road somewhere in Atlanta. Your post is not clear enough for us to respond to - also what is your budget and are you looking to buy or rent.

Old 10-12-2014, 09:48 AM

3,615 posts, read 7,746,966 times
I think a new thread should be started for the peachtree discussion. It's off-topic for this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta