Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Atlanta Being known as a "Black Mecca" present a positive or negative image of the city
Positive 35 47.95%
Negative 38 52.05%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 02:01 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,667,463 times

Advertisements

I am white and I think that the "black mecca" title is good for the city: it spreads the word that Atlanta is an area with many black professionals, athletes, and famous people, and that attracts blacks aspiring to such a status throughout the country. I grew up in Miami, "the capital of Latin America," and I think the name is a good thing: it sends the message that professional people from all over the Americas have found success in Miami. If some people equate "the black mecca" with "the ghetto," that is their misfortune. I think it's great so many blacks have found success in Atlanta; honestly, you really don't see that in Miami. Where else in this country (besides parts of Prince Georges County, MD) do you see neighborhoods of luxury homes that are majority black? Not in many places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2009, 02:13 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,610,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by US-Traveller View Post
As an outsider I can say that it is a negative for many people who might be considering looking at visiting or relocating to your area. People from the Northern and Western portions of the United States perceive Atlanta as very nouveau riche and downright dangerous. Atlanta's reputation for being an African-American area also discourages outside investment.
Huh? I'm from the North. Upstate NY to be exact. I was NEVER told Atlanta was "nouveau rich" nor that it is "downright dangerous"! I'd also tell you that's all a crock.

I've been to Atlanta and I'll be back in June. Thanks for letting me know it's dangerous. I had no problems. Then again, I've been to NYC and Boston. If you've ever been in Greenwich Village in the park at night in the 90's, when you were 18, then you would know dangerous and scary and freaking weird!

Discouraged outside investment? Are you for real? 750 out of Fortune 1000 companies have an office based in the Atlanta Metro area. That's more than anywhere else in the US with the exception of maybe NYC.

Old 04-09-2009, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Being a "mecca" is about more than just population. It's about a certain status that has been conferred by means of history, culture, institutions, personalities, etc. And who can deny the history of Atlanta as it regards Blacks when it comes to those things, especially as a Southern city?
Your description of a mecca would make sense and be a positive. Unfortunately, it seems that there are folks out there hellbent on being a mecca a negative and not focusing on the items you listed. They give it a negative connotation as if guns and violence are what makes up a mecca.

Atlanta has an amazing history. Even though I'm from the north, I am still appalled at what Sherman the wingnut burned to the ground and he was a complete wingnut. I'm just glad that Atlanta rose from the ashes and once again became a magnificent city and didn't die off from the War. it would have been a horrible loss for the entire country.

I even got a little lesson from my AAA book when planning my last trip. I had no idea that Martin Luther King, Jr. was from Atlanta and did so much work there. It's amazing to see all of the things there for him and because of him. It's truly amazing what one man accomplished.

+++++reps for you! Great positive post!

Old 04-09-2009, 03:01 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
This poll needs a third option: who cares?

Why does any city need to be classified as a mecca for any race, ethnicity, or any demographic? You're just asking for misleading labeling. Then over time you get stuck with a negative label for something that really isn't even true or anything meaningful.

So there's more than 6 black people. Whoopie do! Who cares? It's 2009 and time to get over the race nonsense. I didn't grow up with all of that mess. I always thought it was a bunch of crap because I was taught that EVERYONE is a person and your skin color doesn't make you better or worse than anyone else. And why label the colors of skin?

One of my most hated expressions is "Colored People." I HATE that expression. It just sounds so degrading and mean. First, off EVERY one has pigment in their skin. I have yet to see any transparent people floating around.

Why can't everyone just get along a humans and not worry who is pink, green, orange, aqua, etc. I mean seriously why does it matter?

I do realize there is a cultural difference among different races. But there's also cultural differences based on religion, ethnicity, and where you're from.

And why does everyone need to be labeled into a category? It's starting to sound like the labeling of cattle how everyone needs to be labeled. All we need are tags on or ears. It's all so goofy.

And this post wasn't meant to offend anyone. I don't want a big ole fight. I'm just saying this whole thing is goofy and people need to move on and like each other. You don't have love each just tolerate each other.
You must be from a 95% white northern town? No offense but you sound a bit naive, move down south to an area with a high black population and you'll find out most people (of all races) don't think like you do.

Old 04-09-2009, 03:11 PM

Quote:
You must be from a 95% white northern town? No offense but you sound a bit naive, move down south to an area with a high black population and you'll find out most people (of all races) don't think like you do.
So what if I am from a white northern town? Being tolerant has nothing to with where you're from. You start learning to be tolerant the day you're born.

Believe me, I have a lot of racist people in my family. And I have quite the mixed bag of relatives from different races, ethnicities, and countries. The family members who give me crap about talking to a certain type of person have no place in my life. I have a vocal racist cousin who would call a pig every time I talk to him and he is disgusting.

It's all about tolerance and seeing people as people not the color of their skin, what accent they have or don't have, what kind of car you drive, what ethnicity you are, what city you're from, etc. We're all people. It's really simple, but so many people are taught hatred from the day they are born. it's really sad.

I don't base my vacations or relocations by how many people of a certain race or ethnicity live there. I base it on things I need in life - groceries, clothes, affordable decent housing, etc... if my neighbors are Chinese, Black, Hispanic, Russian, whatever, I don't care as long they aren't boneheads. And boneheads come in all colors. I have white neighbors who are super annoying and I have black neighbors who are great.

Old 04-09-2009, 03:15 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,857,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Your description of a mecca would make sense and be a positive. Unfortunately, it seems that there are folks out there hellbent on being a mecca a negative and not focusing on the items you listed. They give it a negative connotation as if guns and violence are what makes up a mecca.

Atlanta has an amazing history. Even though I'm from the north, I am still appalled at what Sherman the wingnut burned to the ground and he was a complete wingnut. I'm just glad that Atlanta rose from the ashes and once again became a magnificent city and didn't die off from the War. it would have been a horrible loss for the entire country.

I even got a little lesson from my AAA book when planning my last trip. I had no idea that Martin Luther King, Jr. was from Atlanta and did so much work there. It's amazing to see all of the things there for him and because of him. It's truly amazing what one man accomplished.

+++++reps for you! Great positive post!
Thanks. I just think the facts should factor into a discussion like this.

Old 04-09-2009, 03:34 PM

1,104 posts, read 1,520,923 times
IMO it really is just another city. Prior to moving here I had some assumptions about Atlanta, and the types of black people I would run into. Some aspects I was right about and others I was waaaaaay wrong. I am sad about some of the things I was wrong about, but its still the city that I call home. Mecca this mecca that....don't believe the hype. Atlanta is just another city. Ill do my best to enjoy it like any other city.

Old 04-09-2009, 05:43 PM

16,680 posts, read 29,499,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post

Im not saying I necassarily disagree, but your statements are broad and generalizing and frankly give no support to your claims.

Face it, Kurt, you know you really want to disagree...just go ahead and express your true feelings about Atlanta's "Black Mecca-ness."

Old 04-09-2009, 08:17 PM

750 posts, read 2,275,970 times
I can't believe this "debate" keeps going on and on. Here's some links for all your black mecca, white mecca, what city is the new mecca of the old mecca, queen of king mecca, south's best mecca, hot city that used to have the olympics mecca, visited once mecca, hurts, helps, used to help, hurt once but got over it, megga mecca, needs.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...lanta-new.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...ecca-hype.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...ecca-hype.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...ueen-city.html

Old 04-09-2009, 11:12 PM

12 posts, read 34,598 times
Do you want to focus on race, religion, where your ancestors came from, etc or do you want to focus more on getting a good job, nice place to live, and make friends?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta