Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 09:08 PM

651 posts, read 1,562,264 times

Advertisements

What do you take for your Pollen allergies?

this just not working enought

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2009, 11:58 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,876,421 times
I actually just starting using Zyrtec 3 weeks ago (I buy the generic Costco version), and it works very well for me. Benadryl works the best, but leaves you spacey all day (dangerous to drive while on it), and Tylenol Allergy/Sinus works ok, but only for a couple of hours once it kicks in.

The trick with Zyrtec is to take it an hour before you go to bed, and any grogginess will kick in while you're asleep, but the pollen protection will last through much of the next day. I'm not sure why, but someone told me to do this and once I did, it worked better than when I took it in the morning.

Old 04-05-2009, 01:03 AM

573 posts, read 2,505,424 times
I bought Zyrtec a couple days ago and wasn't overly thrilled but then I realized I have a cold on top of my allergies so I've been taking Sudafed which hasn't been overly effective.
I used to take Claritin but it got too expensive for me to be taking around the clock for weeks on end.
It also seemed to me that the Zyrtec (or the kroger version that I bought) started to wear off after about 16 hrs, even though its 24

Old 04-05-2009, 04:40 AM

513 posts, read 1,631,918 times
Generic Claritin works fine. Super cheap at Wal-Mart or Sam's Club. Can't understand why anyone would pay $1.00 for one of those pills. I combine that with a nasal spray like Flonase. Have to get a subscription for that stuff, but it's a very common product. Those two together used from March through May have eliminated my nasty allergies. I'd tear through a brick wall to get Flonase (or a variant)!

Old 04-05-2009, 08:07 AM

85 posts, read 285,221 times
It is VERY very important to remember that everyone's immune system is different. What works for one person can be very different from what works for others. Though you can get a good idea through common consensus of what types of meds are working well, you have to tailor your allergy program to your own needs.

Also, there are two broad categories of allergy relief medications: those that also have decongestants and those that don't. There are 2 types of Claritin - Claritin and Claritin-D. Claritin-D contains both antihistamine allergy relief and a decongestant - the "D" stands for decongestant (Claritin-D is quite a bit more expensive than regular Claritin). Keep in mind too that your body can develop a tolerance to many medications over time, so what works for you today may not work as well several months from now.

In the category of prescription meds, Flonase works well for some. For relief from both allergies and congestion, Nasonex works very well.

It is best to try to get allergy relief first from natural methods - drink plenty of water, get plenty of rest, extra vitamin C, nasal irrigation, and a healthy diet. Then over the counter medications can be considered if there is still a need. Only after the first two methods have not proven effective should you move to prescription corticosteroids (nasal sprays).

Good luck.

Old 04-05-2009, 05:49 PM

207 posts, read 940,031 times
Shots

Old 04-05-2009, 06:27 PM

894 posts, read 4,348,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnishere View Post
It is best to try to get allergy relief first from natural methods - drink plenty of water, get plenty of rest, extra vitamin C, nasal irrigation, and a healthy diet. Then over the counter medications can be considered if there is still a need. Only after the first two methods have not proven effective should you move to prescription corticosteroids (nasal sprays).

Good luck.

I agree. I am a big advocate of the thinking that a weakened immune system helps to trigger allergies. Because I suffer from allergies, I become my own doctor and researched. Chinese medicine says that liver issues contribute to allergies. So I take a liver support and probiotic. I also take a lot of Vitamin C, reduce my sugar intake because that wrecks havoc on your immune system. I also take a homeopathic sinus/allergy formula. You take a dropperful every 15 minutes until you feel better. Oil of Oregano kills everything bad, but tastes nasty. Make sure you wash your hands everytime you touch something outside. And most definetaly use a nasal irrigation system. I use something called alkolol which is put in my nasal cup twice a day. It has menthol and eucalyptus which is naturally soothing.

Old 04-05-2009, 08:25 PM

Other things to remember:

1) Remove the clothes you've been wearing all day, and put them in a hamper this time of year once you get back home from wherever you've been - they do have pollen on them.

2) Have pets? Buy baby wipes in bulk at Costco or Sams and wipe your pet's hair down each time they come back in if they've been outside more than a couple of minutes. You might be shocked what comes off of their hair in a short amount of outdoor exposure (which they are bringing into your home).

3) Vacuum your carpets daily in Spring. Yes - daily. It collects the stuff.

4) Sorry - NO OPEN WINDOWS. Not even for a minute this time of year.

These steps will at least reduce your exposure except for when you're outside.

Old 04-13-2009, 09:58 AM

117 posts, read 392,163 times
I've been using generic versions of that, Loratadine, and Claritin but taking like 2 or 3 times the recommended dose and that seems to be working . . .

Old 04-13-2009, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottaGetOut View Post
I've been using generic versions of that, Loratadine, and Claritin but taking like 2 or 3 times the recommended dose and that seems to be working . . .
Your liver must LOVE you. lol :
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta