U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 06:45 PM

7,848 posts, read 17,857,090 times

Advertisements

You don't consider nice neighbors/the noise level of the area/possible privacy issues important in looking for a new place to live?

There are a lot of freaks, nosy parkers, criminals, loud late-night partiers, and other personality conflicts that I could have an issue living next door to...but the main thing is that I'm not harrassed in any way and I can live in peace. I don't really care what someone's beliefs are as long as they don't try to push them on me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2009, 07:30 PM

6,853 posts, read 19,332,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckysnap View Post
I have always looked for a residence based on location, price, appreciation,crime,schools and convieniences. I am puzzeled why someone would look for a place to live based on a philosophy.
I am looking at those things too. But this question is another part of the decision process while considering Atlanta. Now we are considering another state, but its a liberal state, so this will not be an issue there. But GA is conservative, so it could be an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
I don't really care what someone's beliefs are as long as they don't try to push them on me.
Exactly, and with Ga being so conservative it worries me some.

Old 04-05-2009, 07:44 PM

21,142 posts, read 33,119,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
I am looking at those things too. But this question is another part of the decision process while considering Atlanta. Now we are considering another state, but its a liberal state, so this will not be an issue there. But GA is conservative, so it could be an issue.

Exactly, and with Ga being so conservative it worries me some.
It shouldn't...I can recall many instances where conservative friends expressed their beliefs, but didn't proselytize them. Do you really expect conservatives here to do such a thing?
Frankly, IME Liberals on the whole seem much less tolerant of other belief systems than do Conservatives.

Old 04-05-2009, 07:49 PM

256 posts, read 648,497 times
Don't be fooled, doggiebus, there is no part of metro Atlanta that is so conservative that liberals are ostracized or feel out of place. Trust me, Georgia is conservative, but metro Atlanta is like any other place. The suburbs lean Republican but are still friendly and open-minded of liberals. You might as well be in suburban southern California, which is just as conservative if not more so than suburban Atlanta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
The suburbs are more conservative as they get further from Atlanta, but they aren't SO bad that more liberal-minded people can't live there peacefully.
Exactly. I've lived in the suburbs all my life, and it's just a lot of not-very-well-informed middle-class suburbanites. They are not intolerant of liberals or people with different views, they just tend to vote Republican for money reasons. I mean, there was a huge Obama campaign office way out in north Cobb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB Fla View Post
Why are liberals so concerned about living with conservatives. Ive yet to see a conservative come on here asking a similar question.
I have. I've seen plenty. Look around a little more.

Old 04-05-2009, 11:02 PM

7,844 posts, read 14,555,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Frankly, IME Liberals on the whole seem much less tolerant of other belief systems than do Conservatives.
Gotta agree here to some degree. Just look to some of the threads here (the global warming thread comes to mind) where the liberal sacred cows are discussed. Anyone taking even the slightest difference of opinion or just questioning some aspect of the liberal dogma is berated and jumped on. Some people engaged in discussion while others just started calling names and showing their intellectual "superiority."

It seems that lately we read concern here from people that if they move to the suburbs, they will be somehow subjected to conservative "truth squads" who will come and drag them from their house and make them listen to Rush Limbaugh or something else as sinister. Where does this come from?

I lived in the bluest of blue states, and I can tell you that there was quite a bit of intolerance for views that went contrary to the political correctness, so living in a predominantly "blue area" is not a guarantee of anything, unless you agree with their viewpoint.

Old 04-05-2009, 11:44 PM

880 posts, read 2,475,089 times
I would say anywhere inside the perimeter would be fine. I am a liberal and lived in the suburbs for a while (Fayette County) and must admit I did feel pretty out of place a lot of the time (had some damage done to one of our Kerry yard signs a few years back). The city should be liberal enough though.

Old 04-06-2009, 08:42 AM

925 posts, read 2,237,091 times
What does "Progressive" mean, in your opinion?

If you're looking for areas that are leftist, sure, there are some:

Dekalb County: Inside I-285 (more of a conservative/liberal mix the closer you get to I-285, this would include areas such as Oak Grove and the Ashford/Dunwoody sector)
Fulton County: Areas around midtown and other intown neighborhoods in the actual city of Atlanta

There aren't any true "liberal" areas in Cobb County, Gwinnett County, North Fulton county, Cherokee County, Forsyth County, Henry County, Douglas County, Paulding County, Fayette County, Coweta County, Rockdale County, Newton County, Walton County, or any other areas.

Pretty much, the two areas listed above are what we have.

Old 04-06-2009, 08:48 AM

925 posts, read 2,237,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
For me as a moderate liberal, I don't bother people, could care less what people do, look like, believe, etc. But I worry about living next to someone that is conservative because many conservative people usually (in my opinion) are less excepting of diversity/differences/views etc and judge people more than liberals. I just want to live around people who are open minded. This is just my opinion.
In my experience, it is just the opposite. "Liberals" tend to be very judgemental toward conservatives than vice versa, at least in an outward expression of their views. Most conservatives disagree with liberal views, but they simply ignore people. "Liberals", on the other hand, often seek to interrupt and disrupt gatherings of conservatives, or people who hold conservative viewpoints. This has happened on a number of occassions.

Old 04-06-2009, 08:49 AM

21,142 posts, read 33,119,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Fanatic View Post
What does "Progressive" mean, in your opinion?

If you're looking for areas that are leftist, sure, there are some:

Dekalb County: Inside I-285 (more of a conservative/liberal mix the closer you get to I-285, this would include areas such as Oak Grove and the Ashford/Dunwoody sector)
Fulton County: Areas around midtown and other intown neighborhoods in the actual city of Atlanta

There aren't any true "liberal" areas in Cobb County, Gwinnett County, North Fulton county, Cherokee County, Forsyth County, Henry County, Douglas County, Paulding County, Fayette County, Coweta County, Rockdale County, Newton County, Walton County, or any other areas.

Pretty much, the two areas listed above are what we have.
I agree with your observations here, especially about Oak Grove. The area was traditionally conservative, but as the housing stock is turned over to a new generation it is becoming much more liberal. Much of this has to do with Emory University, its hospital system and the CDC. Oak Grove is a major bedroom community for their personnel.

Old 04-06-2009, 01:35 PM

11,319 posts, read 21,959,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB Fla View Post
Why are liberals so concerned about living with conservatives. Ive yet to see a conservative come on here asking a similar question.
FWIW, there have been lots of requests in these forums for religious or more conservative areas.

You may see more requests about liberal areas, however, because Georgia has a well-known reputation for being conservative, and not undeservedly so.

I personally think it does more harm to the state than good, but I'm not a GA native.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or