Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 08:46 PM

293 posts, read 1,103,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MssyDee View Post
Hey City-Data! I have been reading this forum for about two years, and believe I am ready to try to start to take a leap down to Hotlanta. I'm from New York and I am just tired of this rat race. I have visited Atlanta quite a few times to see friends. I've been to Stone Mountain, which I found to be a really nice looking, Fulton County near the airport, Jonesboro and Lovejoy (nice). From what I see Atlanta as a whole is a place where I want to be. I hear 'bout ya'll crime, but we got crime too! Any city that becomes an epi-center has crime. Check LA, DC, NY, PA, Miami, etc. My problem is that my contacts there work in a different industry than I do. I am an executive assistant with over 20 years exp. and a degree. So I don't have any real employement contacts with anyone in ATL. And, I don't expect to make the same kind of money there that I do here. I do read the AJC and often peruse Monster, Hotjobs, etc. I've heard about using an Atlantan address, but has that really worked for anyone? I also know that the payscale is lower than New York, but I have to adjust because of the cost of living. Nowhere could it be higher than in NYC, and, I live in Staten Island. The Verrazano Bridge is $10.00, just to get on the island. I would love to hear thoughts and perhaps contact info. All of my skills are polished and current.
My advice as a native Atlantan and seeing the economy plummet over the past couple of years, secure a job first. Then, once you secure that job, come back and let us know where your job is and we can direct you to cost, commute, etc. Just saying you want to move to Atlanta really isn't saying a whole lot. I am sure there are a lot of people wanting to move here, but, just as sure as they are moving here, many of them are moving right back out once they see how Atlanta is "not all that."

Unfortunately, a lot of times it is who you know that makes finding a job move a little faster. Verizon Wireless is opening a call center in Alpharetta, Georgia (a nice area) that's supposed to provide 600 jobs so you could look into that.

Last edited by Sweet Atlanta Peach; 04-09-2009 at 09:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2009, 08:52 PM

1,259 posts, read 2,250,908 times
The unemployment rate is high here so it may take some time for you to find something. We just hired a secretary at my office and we got applications from people with law and business degrees.

Old 04-09-2009, 08:54 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,129,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
It is not like the north where houses are built by union craftsmen that take any pride in the work they do.
Have you ever seen a show called "Holmes on Homes?" If not, you should watch a few episodes. It's a Canadian show that shows how a guy named Mike Holmes goes around fixing huge problems caused by shoddy workmanship on new homes in Canada, where all homes are built by union "craftsman." It's an eye opener.

Make It Rightâ„¢

Old 04-09-2009, 10:07 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,778,209 times
In NJ, when selling, you must get a C of O. Here.......not so much. If a seller has open permits, they won't be able to sell. I can't believe the condition of some of the houses on the market here. That said, there are plenty of nice houses here with few issues.

Old 04-09-2009, 10:26 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,520,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
The only things that the place still has is cheap housing and decent winter weather with the exception of this winter. And the housing is cheap for reason- you better have it well inspected before you buy anything. Building codes here are a joke and you end up with cracked foundations, improperly vented roofs, cheap ass plastic plumbing that leaks constantly, electrical problems that take all day for an electrician to figure out and God knows what else. It is not like the north where houses are built by union craftsmen that take any pride in the work they do. The ones here are mostly built by illegal aliens that work for fly-by-night contractors that change business names as often as I change underwear. Be very careful what you buy!
Who told you all workers up north were union? You're sadly mistaken. And there's a crapload of crappy contractors up here! They're on the news very week for screwing people over. There are plenty of problem houses up here as well. This problem isn't an Atlanta problem. This is a national problem.

There are several developments in my area built by the same developer and they ALL have major problems. There have been numerous lawsuits. Nothing stopped these jerkoffs from creating new dumpy overpriced developments. They build in the hottest zip codes so of course their houses were selling really well. I looked at a few of their houses and I've seen cardboard boxes constructed better.

Just because you're part of an union means absolutely nothing. You can still be the crappiest contractor on the planet.

And not all work is don't by licensed contractors. For certain things you need the dude with the license to sign off.....that's it. He does it have to do a single thing or even show up on the site.

Oh and thanks for your cheerfulness and being a part of the Atlanta Welcome Wagon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta