U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 08:58 PM

4 posts, read 39,732 times

Advertisements

I thought about moving to Covington, but I need to know how the city is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2009, 06:42 PM

21 posts, read 128,294 times
Hi i am actually a resident in covington, and i have been here about 2 years now. If you love country living and don't mind commuting to the atl downtown area, which takes about 30 mins then covington is for you. but keep in mind every city has its pros and cons, you will just have to experience it for yourself...PS I love it out here, because i am a country girl...and plus i have had no really bad experience i have great neighbors and live in a decent area...good luck

Old 04-19-2009, 07:50 PM

43 posts, read 224,393 times
lsc1077 is right on point about Covington. It is largely a rural/suburban area with one main hwy for shopping and eating. Neighborhoods and subdivision can be miles away from any grocery store or gas station. Covington has a lovely towne that has lots of southern charm with a hint of modernism. You can sit in a rocking chair on the porch of an ice cream parlor and people watch, or take a walk around the towne to the antique shops, five and dime type stores and boutiques while seeing beautiful antebellum and greek revival homes. One of the last times I was there a true southern gentlemen tipped his hat to me as he sauntered by with his cane.

This is also where Heat of the Night was filmed. When I have seen episodes of the show, the filmed area looks more like Porterdale. This city is next to Covington and is a textile mill town surrounded by circa 1900 houses. Now the mill has been converted to lofts. Covington is a nice area if you are looking for a moderate to slow paced community.

Old 04-20-2009, 05:18 AM

2 posts, read 56,014 times
Hi Everyone,

I just placed an offer on a house in the RiverWalk Subdivison and I am trying to get some information if this is a good and safe community. Can anyone provide some information on this area?

Thanks.

Old 04-20-2009, 08:32 AM

239 posts, read 767,330 times
Where in Covington is RiverWalk located?

Quote:
Originally Posted by happi View Post
Hi Everyone,

I just placed an offer on a house in the RiverWalk Subdivison and I am trying to get some information if this is a good and safe community. Can anyone provide some information on this area?

Thanks.

Old 04-20-2009, 05:22 PM

264 posts, read 789,459 times
Covington is rural turning suburban and if you move there you could meet a lot of movie stars, they flim a lot of movies here, I know that Halloween 2 just wrapped up filming here and The TAPS team from Ghost Hunters were in Newton County, It aired on the same program with the GA Aquarium part on April 15th, They filmed scenes from Zombieland here about two weeks ago. I live in Covington but the only thing that I don't like is that we have to shop in Rockdale which is next door, I mean we have Home Depot, Super Wal-Mart, Applebee's, Longhorn's and stuff like that but nothing every other small GA town doesn'thave

Old 04-21-2009, 04:47 PM

2 posts, read 56,014 times
River Walk Farms Sub Division is at Hwy 81 (Covington By Pass Rd) and Hwy 36. Thanks.

Old 04-22-2009, 02:48 PM

14 posts, read 66,051 times
Covington is a pretty decent place, IMO. We've lived here for almost 4 years now. (Previously lived in Conyers, my wife has lived in the area for her whole life)

The only downside I see to being out this way is you're seeing a lot of foreclosures. As such, the property values are dropping, and the neighborhood dynamics seem to change pretty frequently with a lot of homes becoming rentals. In my own neighborhood, once the foreclosures started to increase, so did the property crime. Once a few of the newer tenants moved on, the neighborhood went back to normal. So, there's a bit of a risk involved until the housing market starts to even out.

Outside of that, Covington along 278 is pretty much like every other Georgia town. The square is nice, and compared to Conyers there is a good bit more non-chain restaurants to choose from.

Old 04-22-2009, 05:58 PM

78 posts, read 191,480 times
Default Is Covington good place to live?

Great points everyone is making about Covington. Helps those of us looking to become residents of Georgia. PT3000 what kind of shopping must you do in Rockdale considering Covington has the large stores you mentioned?

Old 04-22-2009, 07:04 PM

264 posts, read 789,459 times
Me personally, I'm more into national retail chain stores and we really have no where to buy nice clothing anymore, we had a Belk's but they moved into a nice bigger store in Conyers then Goody's closed up all of their stores including ours, we have mom and pop outlets but they are to expensive in my opinion, years back we had a movie theater but it closed and now we have to go to Stonecrest or Conyers to see a movie also Applebee's and Longhorn's are the only major casual sitdown restaurant's that we have, once again several mom and pop places and not to knock them or anything but money is tight for me and they can't offer the cheaper prices that the national chains offer, most towns are getting regional retail power centers we haven't got one yet, we have several regular shopping centers but nothing spectacular our Wolf Camera was one of the one's that the company choose to close and leave the one in Conyers open, I mean Conyers is only ten miles away from Covington but by shopping there I am giving my sales tax dollars to their county(Rockdale) and that doesn't benefit Covington or Newton County, also we have nothing for the younger crowd, their is always something going on at the square for the older crowd, Car shows(Hot Rods), Jazz Concert's and things like that but nothing for the likes of my age(30) and younger, I love living here don't get me wrong but I would like to be able to stay in my home county and spend money and not have to go elsewhere, one of our local papers have a vent column where people call in their gripes and it gets printed as long as it isn't offensive and it all depends on what you like some call in loving it and some hate it,moving from a big city looking for small town life you will probably love it here but being raised here and wanting city life without having to leave is another thing, our county population is almost 100,000 and you would be surprised how rural it still seems and mind you Georgia doesn't have those huge monster counties like most states, my main gripe with Covington really is the retail side of things I love everything else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or