Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 10:10 AM

5,633 posts, read 5,357,065 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
It's okay...I don't need to come around. I just enjoy defending people who have no voice - and somebody needs to do it. These people are vicious in this thread...and all because they were annoyed that they had to sit in traffic and saw someone do something that wasn't exactly by the book. Then they came home and vented. I can't stand that kind of rage...but at least it was vented in a harmless online forum and not on the streets.
I don't know where you saw rage or viciousness in this thread (more like hopelessness and despair), but whatever.... Apparently, to you, driving without any regard to rules is fine. It's not that I'm annoyed that once or twice a year, I have to maneuver my way through a few idiots. Let's forget the blinking traffic lights for a sec and just see that this sort of thing happens non-stop here every day. Go sit on Ivan Allen one day at 4:45pm and see if it doesn't blow your mind how people act.

But that's ok. I shouldn't mind. I'm OK with sitting through 4 cycles of a single stoplight when I'm only 6 cars back all because people refuse to obey even the simplest of traffic rules in order to save themselves 4 seconds. I shouldn't be annoyed by that. They "don't have a voice to defend themselves". I will now just accept that they are not educated in the rules of the road, and that they shouldn't have to be because it's just an unnecessary headache.

Soon it'll look like the attached image.

DeaconJ, thanks for showing me the light! Unfortunately, I ran it because I didn't know.
Attached Thumbnails
Does anyone in the city understand how to deal with a broken traffic light?-n726374566_958184_4979.jpg.jpeg  

Last edited by samiwas1; 04-16-2009 at 10:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2009, 11:23 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,081,428 times
Quote:
So even though you didn't follow the law, you are justifying it by rating it "better" than what other people did? No, I don't think so. There aren't "degrees" of the law - you either obey the law or you break the law.
I've been following enough court cases in some detail over the years to know that simply isn't true, even as a layman. Actions are open to interpretation, as is the letter of the law itself, and sometimes existing case law trumps the literal letter of the statute(s) that apply to a given case. Heck, even traffic court can become the subject of gamesmanship and negotiation.

Don't play the black-and-white game with me. The law is emphatically not a binary entity, which is why so many lawyers are needed in this society.

Quote:
A rolling stop is exactly what I would call "proceeding with caution". See, you aren't even aware that what you did WAS exactly what was called for. Don't you know traffic laws?
I agree that what I did was better than what most of the other people in front of me did (which is not to stop at all).

I should note that there was NO cross traffic at this light. Safety really wasn't an issue. I just found it interesting that many drivers didn't even tap their brakes. They just went on through. I've honestly only seen that down here.

Old 04-16-2009, 11:26 AM

Quote:
And I should care what you think because....?
I don't care if you care, dude. Your words reflect on your reputation, not mine.

Old 04-16-2009, 11:29 AM

Quote:
It's okay...I don't need to come around. I just enjoy defending people who have no voice - and somebody needs to do it. These people are vicious in this thread...and all because they were annoyed that they had to sit in traffic and saw someone do something that wasn't exactly by the book. Then they came home and vented. I can't stand that kind of rage...but at least it was vented in a harmless online forum and not on the streets.
Not me. My commute was faster because people didn't stop at the light like they were supposed to. I derived some tangible benefit from the poor driving. Does that make it right?

I guess respect for the law isn't as important as it used to be... Is this a sign that I'm getting old?

Old 04-16-2009, 11:41 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,805,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Not me. My commute was faster because people didn't stop at the light like they were supposed to. I derived some tangible benefit from the poor driving. Does that make it right?

I guess respect for the law isn't as important as it used to be... Is this a sign that I'm getting old?
You can't even seem to detrmine WHO I was responding to, can you? It certainly wasn't to you...

Do you respect the following Georgia Laws? Are you even aware of these laws? You're such an upstanding citizen and follow the law exactly by the book...right?

1. Swearing, cussing, or any profane language is strictly prohibited in the presence of a corpse.

2. It is considered a crime to sell, purchase, own, or use anything that could be considered a "sex toy".

3. It is illegal to give a state senator a speeding ticket while the assembly is in session.

4. It is illegal to cuss on land-line phones.

5. No one may carry an ice cream cone in their back pocket if it is Sunday.

Old 04-16-2009, 11:46 AM

Quote:
I don't care if you care, dude. Your words reflect on your reputation, not mine.
Don't worry about my reputation - dude...it's fine and intact. You might want to worry a little about YOURS though, because my reputation seems to be quite a bit better than yours.

Do a little comparison of our city-data reputations:

You: 3,044 posts...348 rep points...joined November 2006
Me: 2,495 posts...589 rep points...joined October 2008

Over 500 more posts than me spanning 2 extra years, yet about 200+ less rep points. What does that tell you about YOUR reputation?

Last edited by DeaconJ; 04-16-2009 at 11:57 AM..

Old 04-16-2009, 11:48 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,377,466 times
Quote:
You can't even seem to detrmine WHO I was responding to, can you? It certainly wasn't to you...

Do you respect the following Georgia Laws? Are you even aware of these laws? You're such an upstanding citizen and follow the law exactly by the book...right?

1. Swearing, cussing, or any profane language is strictly prohibited in the presence of a corpse.

2. It is considered a crime to sell, purchase, own, or use anything that could be considered a "sex toy".

3. It is illegal to give a state senator a speeding ticket while the assembly is in session.

4. It is illegal to cuss on land-line phones.

5. No one may carry an ice cream cone in their back pocket if it is Sunday.
You're making me feel like such a scofflaw because I've broken #'s 1, 2, and 4, and I'd probably break #3 if I was in a position to do so. Now #5- that I'd never do- that's a waste of a good ice cream cone......

Old 04-16-2009, 11:50 AM

Quote:
I've been following enough court cases in some detail over the years to know that simply isn't true, even as a layman. Actions are open to interpretation, as is the letter of the law itself, and sometimes existing case law trumps the literal letter of the statute(s) that apply to a given case. Heck, even traffic court can become the subject of gamesmanship and negotiation.

Don't play the black-and-white game with me. The law is emphatically not a binary entity, which is why so many lawyers are needed in this society.

I agree that what I did was better than what most of the other people in front of me did (which is not to stop at all).

I should note that there was NO cross traffic at this light. Safety really wasn't an issue. I just found it interesting that many drivers didn't even tap their brakes. They just went on through. I've honestly only seen that down here.
So...what percentage of drivers "didn't stop at all" at that light? Did you record the numbers and come up with some real data for us? Or are you simply stating your perception of the truth, which incidentally came to you in your enraged state of mind over Georgians' blatant disregard for the law?

Yes, the law is black and white. You're breaking the law, or you aren't. You murder someone, or you don't. You steal something, or you don't. You run a stoplight, or you don't. Where is the gray area? I wonder if you're just taking an opportunity to criticize people "down here"...

Last edited by DeaconJ; 04-16-2009 at 12:01 PM..

Old 04-16-2009, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
I don't know where you saw rage or viciousness in this thread (more like hopelessness and despair), but whatever....
Oh, it's not hard to sense the rage in your posts, my friend...look at your first post in this thread! The words in all caps...the reference to "this freaking city"...the reference to ignorant drivers in this city...drivers who "don't give a crap"...I can easily sense your anger. I'm also offended by it, as I'm sure a few others are as well. You've got a couple of allies in this thread, but there are many more who would not agree with your assessment. Sorry.

Quote:
My question is this...does ANYONE in this freaking city know how to deal with broken traffic lights?!? It's really not that hard...

If a light is blinking yellow, you should slow down and use caution when going through the intersection, but NOT STOP unless there is a reason to (like some a-hole who doesn't stop for the red).

If the light is blinking red, YOU STOP, then go when you can (remember those on the crossing street with the yellow light DO NOT HAVE TO STOP). If both directions are blinking red, it's a four-way stop.

If the light is out completely, is is treated AS A FOUR-WAY STOP (or however-many-way). I could not believe when I was sitting at a completely dead traffic light the other day and cars on the main street weren't even slowing down!

It blows my mind how ignorant of traffic rules the majority of this city seems to be...or is it that they just don't give a crap?

Old 04-16-2009, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
You're making me feel like such a scofflaw because I've broken #'s 1, 2, and 4, and I'd probably break #3 if I was in a position to do so. Now #5- that I'd never do- that's a waste of a good ice cream cone......
Exactly...it's highly hypocritical to preach about particular laws that each of us think are the most important - yet break some laws that we don't even know exist.

What position do you need to be in to break #3?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: