Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 12:45 PM

12 posts, read 38,561 times

Advertisements

Why are there so many sub's that are named plantation's. Is to to deter any ethic groups, is there a southern meaning behind the name ? I've visit a few that are really nice.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2009, 01:49 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,081,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springchild View Post
Why are there so many sub's that are named plantation's. Is to to deter any ethic groups, is there a southern meaning behind the name ? I've visit a few that are really nice.
The term "plantation" has a romantic and historic feel, at least in some circles.

Old 04-15-2009, 01:55 PM

16,696 posts, read 29,515,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
The term "plantation" has a romantic and historic feel, at least in some circles.

Yep, rcsteiner got it right. Nothing more to it, really.

Old 04-15-2009, 03:12 PM

2,047 posts, read 4,619,592 times
I specified to my realtor that I wasn't interested in any plantations. I assume that a developer using that name is either an idiot, or doesn't want me there. Either way, I don't want to be there.

Old 04-15-2009, 03:42 PM

304 posts, read 856,369 times
when I hear the word "plantation" the first thing that comes to mind is not romance....let's be honest...not alot of romance happening on those plantations back then.

Old 04-16-2009, 03:48 AM

4,586 posts, read 7,708,686 times
Quote:

When I see development like that, I just shake my head...I mean, seriously, who's idea was it?

I understand, a real plantation but these other one's....

Old 04-16-2009, 04:01 AM

2,642 posts, read 8,259,583 times
Most subdivision names are ridiculous. I mean, you got the romance thing right...they name them to make them sound more romantic.

Lake View
Oak Grove
Pine Mountain
Peachtree Plantation

Usually, there is NO view of a lake, or grove of oaks, or a mountain with lots-o-pine, and there never were plantations to grow peach trees ever.

Back in the day I lived in a sub in Gwinnett called Peachtree Downs. It was names as such because (1) it was off Old Peachtree Rd and (2) the property it was built on used to be a horse farm.

Now that made sense.

Or like where I live now...Candler Park...because we have a park named as such right smack in the middle of the hood.

Or like the Toco Hills area...named because when it was built it was built at the "top of the county".

I mean, come on. If you're a developer and you build a sub, name it something not so douchy.

Like, if you build it on an old kudzu infested tract of land call it Kuzu (the Japanese word for kudzu), or name it after the street it's off of, or after the developer, or the developer's kid (aka Hayley Park...just make sure there's some greenspace in there that can pass for a park).

Old 04-16-2009, 05:04 AM

1,020 posts, read 2,532,228 times
The way to name a subdivision is with the following formula:

Take the name of a famous/elite university preferably in New England or a common English surname then add some form of wilderness or synonym for farm. Example:

Princeton Lake
Duke Plantation
Cooper Lake
Alexander Farm
Stanford Plains
etc..

Sometimes, it can sound like the brand name for produce/dairy.

Another formula is to use the name of a plant or the like and a synonym for a gathering area:
Ivy Commons
Wisteria Lane
Cobblestone Village
Peachtree Commons
Caswyk Trail
etc..

I mean, you can't say it's not true.

Old 04-16-2009, 05:10 AM

2,642 posts, read 8,259,583 times
I'm actually okay with the second formula if it's true...after all we do have a lot of wisteria here. The stuff I fight off every spring is ~50 years old. Damn things have trunks instead of vines.

Old 04-16-2009, 11:01 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,081,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrynyc View Post
when I hear the word "plantation" the first thing that comes to mind is not romance....let's be honest...not alot of romance happening on those plantations back then.
I suspect the intent on the part of the developer is to play on the idea of the manor house, not the rest of the things happening around.

I agree that it isn't the best thing to put in a subdivision name, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta