Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 12:39 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,269,878 times

Advertisements

"What the tea party demonstrators would like to see happen in the days, weeks and months to follow is for the federal government to get its SPENDING under control. Yes we need some level of emergency stimulous spending, but the congress brought a cluster bomb to a knife fight! Did you read the sign at the rally that some teenager was holding. "I'm 15 and I already owe $36,543 in taxes" This is generational theft that's taking place right now, and the disgusting part of it is a huge chunk of the spending is earmark spending on politically motivated projects to get officials re-elected."

This is the best post that I have seen in regards to the tea party's and why I for one support them whole heartly. Now I do lean right politically but was as disgusted with Bush and the Republican controlled congress as anyone over the last 8 years. I firmly place blame on Obama getting elected at their feet! With that said I really dont care if the movement continues or not that was not what got me excited about them. What I liked was that people were moved to come out. Other than the illegal alien May day marches or the code pinkers I havent seen anyone take to the streets for anything especially on the right in FOREVER. Hopefully this will spark other Americans regardless of party affilation to take action in a positive way to change this country for the better. Whether I agree with what they are protesting or not it would be refreshing to see!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2009, 12:43 PM

297 posts, read 1,538,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Then the majority of the money would be going towards things you oppose...unless you support everything or almost everything the government spends money on (I doubt anyone would admit to this). Your money is far more powerful if you target your offering towards whatever causes you believe in.

That's why rich people start foundations. They get to fund things they believe in (with the added bonus of decreasing their tax burden).
But isn't the bolded part true of every tax dollar? Ironically, this is one of many reasons why I am opposed to high taxes.... taking care of problems/social issues is best left to the private sector. With taxes, you have no say how the money is spent.

Old 04-16-2009, 12:47 PM

26 posts, read 52,382 times
Default Generational Theft in under 100 days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishap View Post
They forgot to do this in '81, '82, '83... oh hell every year since we started deficit spending (think American Revolution). Rings hollow when these guys pretty much thought Libertarians were nutjobs getting pissed off about the PATRIOT Act. To suddenly care about taxes and spending now in 2009 after 8 yrs of expansionary deficit spending is exceptionally ridiculous.

Some people are whining b/c their party/ideology lost power and this is the only thing they can cling to b/c the Republicans rode the post 9/11 patriotism a little too far and suddenly realized they don't have a platform.
Take a look at the spending chart. Yes the Republicans lost their way. Not a big fan of some of the spending Bushed signed after congress passed it, but THIS is spending of an entire new magnitude. We're not disagreeing on millions or even billions anymore...this is a trillion dollar nightmare... The spending curve on this looks like a fighter jet shooting vertically straight up after take off.

Generational theft has never been attempted at this scale by Republicans or Democrats. Even state governments are crying foul. Forget about platforms and ideology for a second and just think about the money our children will be left to pay.

It's been reported that the average person 20 years old right now will be saddled with over $115,000 in new taxes from the interest alone of these massive spending bills! That doesn't include new spending (and the interest on that borrowed money) that has yet to be voted on. Its only been 100 days or so... and this has GOT TO slow down folks. And don't think its the rich that's going to pay for all this new spending. Even if every single cent of the earnings of the top % of income earners would completely confiscated...even THAT wouldn't pay for all the spending. So guess what happens, the bar gets lowered eventually off the $250,000 class warfare ceiling. Let's start with a massive new tax on smokers....

Old 04-16-2009, 12:48 PM

2,642 posts, read 8,257,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kagmypts View Post
But isn't the bolded part true of every tax dollar? Ironically, this is one of many reasons why I am opposed to high taxes.... taking care of problems/social issues is best left to the private sector. With taxes, you have no say how the money is spent.
You're supposed to have a say...it's called voting.

Old 04-16-2009, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprascooby22 View Post
"Now I do lean right politically but was as disgusted with Bush and the Republican controlled congress as anyone over the last 8 years. I firmly place blame on Obama getting elected at their feet! With that said I really dont care if the movement continues or not that was not what got me excited about them. What I liked was that people were moved to come out. Other than the illegal alien May day marches or the code pinkers I havent seen anyone take to the streets for anything especially on the right in FOREVER. Hopefully this will spark other Americans regardless of party affilation to take action in a positive way to change this country for the better. Whether I agree with what they are protesting or not it would be refreshing to see!
I certainly do not think you are alone in this thought process. The right is in dire need of leadership (not a moderate who calls himself a Republican, but a true conservative). I think that the tea parties attempted to call out what has gone unchecked for so long - BIG government, BIG spending, and BIG tax burdens. The over the top spending and pork is certainly not contained to the Obama administration, but with the "stimulus package", it is approaching a new level.

Old 04-16-2009, 12:52 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,286,784 times
Quote:
The more you donate to charities, the less you will owe in taxes. If you're opposed to high taxes, as we all are, figure out how to decrease your tax burden. To borrow a phrase, it's as easy as laughing at Glen Beck when he cries.

Old 04-16-2009, 01:00 PM

26 posts, read 52,382 times
So you think this was a CORPORATE manufactured-for-TV-event? Where's your proof. Simply because the bulk of the media ignored the event with the exception of Fox...and the president himself pretended he was unaware of it (if that's true, its kinda scary he's already out of touch in the white house bubble) Does the media ignoring an event prove these events didn't originated from the ground up? Only civil rights issues can be grass roots issues?

My only point about Cindy Sheehan, gay rights and pro choice protests is that they were in fact protests.... and as such, they don't immediately translate into policy changes or new legislation over night. You can make the point that Fox may have jumped on the opportunity to showcase these rallys. I'd claim they did in part because without them who would have seen them? A dozen or so PETA activists can get wall to wall coverage for throwing stuff on a whaling ships deck to destroy their catch, but how many channels showed the thousands at the tea party rallys.

And even with the pre promotion that you claim... who would show up if they didn't actually care. The didn't get paid to attend afterall.

Old 04-16-2009, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
The more you donate to charities, the less you will owe in taxes. If you're opposed to high taxes, as we all are, figure out how to decrease your tax burden. To borrow a phrase, it's as easy as laughing at Glen Beck when he cries.
I am definitely opposed to high taxes... and not just for my family. One easy way to decrease our tax burden is to stop working. That way we can just live off the government and other productive members of society. Unfortunately, people in this country possess such a level of entitlement that they think that they can just be lazy and that the high wage earners will pay for this. It is disgusting.

Just to be clear, I do not think that we should not all have to pay taxes. I believe everybody should be paying taxes (contribute to the general welfare of all, right?). Since the rich make more, they should contribute more in dollars. Also, we live in a country where there is no excuse for people to go hungry, suffer from poor health care, etc. However, the government is not the proper institution to oversee social programs. As evidence dictates, things that are left to the private sector all more likely to succeed. By turning these social programs over to the private sector, the tax burden should be substantially decreased.... thereby freeing up money that people can now donate to the charity/cause of their choice.

On a side note, I found your response to be a little out of place. Pless had just commented how she is in favor of high taxes for those making more money, and I offered her a way to pay more taxes. Your response was that taxes are not the best expenditure of money, which is my personal opinion. I am not quite sure what your point is.

Old 04-16-2009, 01:13 PM

989 posts, read 1,742,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy323 View Post
So you think this was a CORPORATE manufactured-for-TV-event? Where's your proof. Simply because the bulk of the media ignored the event with the exception of Fox...and the president himself pretended he was unaware of it (if that's true, its kinda scary he's already out of touch in the white house bubble) Does the media ignoring an event prove these events didn't originated from the ground up? Only civil rights issues can be grass roots issues?

My only point about Cindy Sheehan, gay rights and pro choice protests is that they were in fact protests.... and as such, they don't immediately translate into policy changes or new legislation over night. You can make the point that Fox may have jumped on the opportunity to showcase these rallys. I'd claim they did in part because without them who would have seen them? A dozen or so PETA activists can get wall to wall coverage for throwing stuff on a whaling ships deck to destroy their catch, but how many channels showed the thousands at the tea party rallys.

And even with the pre promotion that you claim... who would show up if they didn't actually care. The didn't get paid to attend afterall.
There is my proof, hosted by none other than Mr America, Hannity.

Old 04-16-2009, 01:20 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,286,784 times
Quote:
On a side note, I found your response to be a little out of place. Pless had just commented how she is in favor of high taxes for those making more money, and I offered her a way to pay more taxes. Your response was that taxes are not the best expenditure of money, which is my personal opinion. I am not quite sure what your point is.
Yeah, I know what Pless and you did. I offered what I think is a better and smarter alternative if you happen to be in the mood to throw some money around.

Seemed pretty clear to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta