Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 01:50 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,382,644 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reet4587 View Post

RE: Max Lager, I keep forgetting about that place for some reason. It's been around for a while now so they must be doing something right. I'd like to revisit. I remember liking the beer and thinking the food was overpriced but good. Maybe I'll skip the food and just drink the beer.
If you thought the food was overpriced before, you're not going to be happy now- they raised the prices a few months ago to the point that we don't even bother going there anymore. A bunch of us used to go there around once a week for lunch, but now that they raised the prices, we can eat at Room at Twelve and get much better food for the same price (or less in some cases).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2009, 02:02 PM

248 posts, read 648,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
If you thought the food was overpriced before, you're not going to be happy now- they raised the prices a few months ago to the point that we don't even bother going there anymore. A bunch of us used to go there around once a week for lunch, but now that they raised the prices, we can eat at Room at Twelve and get much better food for the same price (or less in some cases).
Well damn, that sucks about the prices. It's a bad time to be charging folks more money for food.

If you're looking for a good lunch place in that area M-F, I suggest Social on West Peachtree Place, behind FAB (they're open for dinner M-Sat). Really great food. And they have beer! I don't remember the prices being too bad.

Really, this is all making me realize how much downtown has improved. I'm a native and I well remember being a young driver and exploring those streets in the 1980s. Sooooo different now, for both visitors and locals.

Old 04-16-2009, 02:04 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,295,927 times
Quote:
That would be very cool. I'm already geeked out about the Allen Plaza thus far. I'll try to not be Mr. Pickypants and wish the grocery store could be more centrally located downtown I'll be thrilled if this one happens.
Maybe they'll incorporate a small grocery store into the revamp of the Macy's building.

Old 04-16-2009, 02:10 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,808,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Isn't that what the OP said they did when they were here, and what they based their negaitve opinion of Atlanta on?
That negative opinion seemed to be based on many things...and if those visitors spent every possible minute downtown, then they aren't very smart travelers.

Where in the U.S. would you recommend spending an entire vacation downtown? Even considering the most vibrant downtowns across the country - there are fabulous sites to see outside of downtown.

Old 04-16-2009, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Maybe they'll incorporate a small grocery store into the revamp of the Macy's building.
There was once a plan for Publix to open a location at Allen Plaza - that was prior to the economy hitting the skids. I don't know if it's still in the works or not.

Old 04-16-2009, 02:14 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,365,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
There was once a plan for Publix to open a location at Allen Plaza - that was prior to the economy hitting the skids. I don't know if it's still in the works or not.
I think it is DeaconJ. It's supposed to be in the base of the proposed Apartment/Hotel block. They did get the Westside TAD funding they were looking for, IIRC.

Old 04-16-2009, 02:24 PM

2,642 posts, read 8,260,766 times
Quote:
What I do in my free time is not the topic of discussion. I would never publish that information online, especially not at the request of some hater. The topic and the issue I have with you is that you said that there is NOTHING DOWNTOWN. That's it...and I've already shown how wrong you are.

Yes, the majority of your statements seem to be "relative generalizations". That's not an admirable trait.

Who EVER said that a visitor should come to Atlanta and spend every minute Downtown? No one in this thread has made that assertion, yet you are arguing against it. Who are you arguing with?

Candler Park: population 2,086...slightly less than 1 square mile. You do the math - it's not much of a comparison to Downtown...Downtown just has tall buildings and more homeless people - both of which scare country folk.

You can only speak about how you feel and how Downtown feels to you. Don't try to speak for everyone else, please. You don't.

There is only one issue that I opposed from your post - that Downtown Atlanta doesn't have anything, including sustainable entertainment options and pubs/bars. I believe I've shown that it DOES have these things - it's just that you aren't aware of them and you don't frequent them. That isn't everyone - not by a long shot. Downtown is a great place to stay in Atlanta...more hotel rooms in a smaller space...access to MARTA...access to taxis at a moment's notice...many tourist attractions...etc. There are lots of places in the city to experience great entertainment, and Downtown is one of them.

Sorry, not a hater and you know it. Anyone can go through my posts and see how much I love the city. Also, you haven't proved me wrong. You've actually supported my arguments about sustainable entertainment. Remember, I run the streets all over downtown (and I do believe the little signs on the street signs say Luckie District...). I see a lot of things. And what I see holds very close to what JPD keeps saying.

Here's the thing...why would a big city EVER be a vacation/tourist destination?

It's not because it's relaxing like the beach or camping.

It's because people want to come to see how big city people LIVE.

And despite there being an official 30K residents for downtown....people don't seem to actually live there. An aside.....your numbers for Candler Park seem funny. There are 1600 SFHs here....and I don't know how many apartments. Certainly it's smaller than downtown, though.

When family and friends come to visit me...they're not so interested in forking out tons of money to see all the "attractions". Sure, they might want to see the CNN center. But they want to hang out and see what it's like to live here. What it's like to be me. Show me what you do on the weekends, they say.

Old 04-16-2009, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plessthanpointohfive View Post
Sorry, not a hater and you know it. Anyone can go through my posts and see how much I love the city. Also, you haven't proved me wrong. You've actually supported my arguments about sustainable entertainment. Remember, I run the streets all over downtown (and I do believe the little signs on the street signs say Luckie District...). I see a lot of things. And what I see holds very close to what JPD keeps saying.

Here's the thing...why would a big city EVER be a vacation/tourist destination?

It's not because it's relaxing like the beach or camping.

It's because people want to come to see how big city people LIVE.

And despite there being an official 30K residents for downtown....people don't seem to actually live there. An aside.....your numbers for Candler Park seem funny. There are 1600 SFHs here....and I don't know how many apartments. Certainly it's smaller than downtown, though.

When family and friends come to visit me...they're not so interested in forking out tons of money to see all the "attractions". Sure, they might want to see the CNN center. But they want to hang out and see what it's like to live here. What it's like to be me. Show me what you do on the weekends, they say.

Look, I already said that no one is advertising ANY downtown in the U.S. as the be-all-end-all vacation destination. There are things to see and do in most downtowns, including Atlanta, and it's a decent, centralized place to stay with great transit connections...but it isn't the only attraction in ANY city.

Again, the only point of contention here is your statement that there is nothing in Downtown Atlanta. I've proven that there is plenty to do in Downtown Atlanta, but you're still arguing about other stuff that isn't even up for discussion. I'm not falling into that trap of going down 100 different roads with you. This is the only issue - and you were wrong for saying it.

I'm sorry, I intended to post this city-data link for Candler Park: http://www.city-data.com/neighborhoo...ta-GA.html...I didn't make up that population number.

Last edited by DeaconJ; 04-16-2009 at 02:46 PM..

Old 04-16-2009, 02:40 PM

Quote:
We've got a family membership to Imagine It and the price is on par with memberships to the Zoo, the High and other such places. It's definitely a bargain for people who are going to use it often.

We drive over to Candler Park every now and then. Very nice spot and a beautiful neighborhood. I love the little grocery store there and wish there was one like that downtown.

Next time you're looking for a beer near Centennial Olympic Park, try the bar at the Peasant Bistro (west of the park) or Ted's Montana Grill (east). There's also a Taco Mac along the west side of Phillips arena and they've got a great selection.

I've got my fingers crossed for improved development downtown. I'd love to live there if it could become a little more neighborhood-ish. No disrespect intended to current downtown residents -- I love the place, but I needs me a proper 7-day-per-week, comprehensive grocery store nearby. I'm spoiled.
I agree about memberships. If my son were younger we'd probably consider it. We do have memberships to Fernbank and the Zoo. I can't say we use then "often". Probably half a dozen times a year, maybe a little more. Fernbank doesn't change out the exhibit often enough and the Zoo...well, we should probably use it more. We have friends who live across the street and usually end up visiting them more than going to the Zoo. My kid likes the Zoo but he likes the kids who live at our friends house and their toys more...

Ted's isn't a place I can walk into after a sweaty run and grab a beer. Taco Mac is, at least the ones in VaHi and Decatur. I don't think I've ever noticed the one downtown. I guess I also forgot about the Vortex. But maybe I forgot about it because it's not the main location...

I also want downtown to continue to grow. My entire point, which Deacon has issue with, is that downtown isn't the place to go and stay when you come to Atlanta for vacation (conventions are a different story). It's got "nothing" on other places in the city in regards to the reason why people come visit big cities...

Old 04-16-2009, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Look, I already said that no one is advertising ANY downtown in the U.S. as the be-all-end-all vacation destination. There are things to see and do in most downtowns, including Atlanta, and it's decent, centralized place to stay with great transit connections...but it isn't the only attraction in ANY city.

Again, the only point of contention here is your statement that there is nothing in Downtown Atlanta. I've proven that there is plenty to do in Downtown Atlanta, but you're still arguing about other stuff that isn't even up for discussion. I'm not falling into that trap of going down 100 different roads with you. This is the only issue - and you were wrong for saying it.

I believe I posted a CITY-DATA link for Candler Park. I didn't make up that population number.
I have no idea where they got their numbers...they're definitely off. Either that or the CPNO is...and I doubt that.

You and I will just have to agree to disagree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta