Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 10:36 PM

4 posts, read 42,324 times

Advertisements

I'm a single female professional in mid 30-s, currently living and working in Denver, CO. My company asked me to consider a position in Monroe, GA, which would be a promotion. The quality of life is very important to me, as well as opportunities to work-out, meet other singles, visit good restaurants, events, etc. Still hope to find the right one How is life for prof singles in Atlanta? Is this a good city to move? Any areas close to Monroe that can be recommeded to live? I have not made my decision yet, so I'm looking for input... Any help would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2009, 06:55 AM

4,574 posts, read 7,500,755 times
You find a huge amount of single profs. in Atlanta. Many magazine/websites have ranked Atlanta as one of the best cities for young, single professionals.

The quality of life will be lower in Atlanta than Denver.

As for restaurants, you find many great restaurants in Midtown, Buckhead, Inman Park, Downtown, Little Five Points, and a lot of others places. If you are looking for nightlife, then the majority of that is located in Midtown, although there are a lot of upscale clubs in Buckhead.

One place I would recommend is Decatur. It's a pretty nice suburb of Atlanta, and close to your job.

Hope this helps.

Old 04-18-2009, 07:02 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,380,037 times
Monroe is a little "out there" from Atlanta- about 40 miles or so from the areas where most singles live (Midtown, etc). The good news is that you'd have a reverse commute- the bad news is that it'll still take you the better part of 45 minutes to an hour to get to work.

Old 04-18-2009, 11:54 AM

2,240 posts, read 5,858,568 times
Yeah, I wouldn't say that Monroe is a "happening" kind of town (I have family out there). You might consider living in Gwinnett County (halfway b/t your job and the city-maybe somewhere near the I-85/316 split). That way, it wouldn't be so far to go into town on the weekends.

Old 04-18-2009, 12:24 PM

16,700 posts, read 29,521,595 times
I recommend that you live in the Tucker/Northlake area...a decent amount of singles/professionals in the area and the area is close to happening intown areas.

And...
Tucker/Northlake is on the eastside, so your commute to Monroe will not be bad at all.

Old 04-18-2009, 12:30 PM

1,517 posts, read 6,739,067 times
Do you have reservations about leaving Denver? Just want to make sure Atlanta offers you what you're looking for in a town. You can certainly find single professionals here but moving and working in Monroe is a bit of a step outside the 'action' and could make things difficult in terms of transitioning here.

Old 04-18-2009, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweettea1 View Post
Do you have reservations about leaving Denver? Just want to make sure Atlanta offers you what you're looking for in a town. You can certainly find single professionals here but moving and working in Monroe is a bit of a step outside the 'action' and could make things difficult in terms of transitioning here.

To the OP...

The issue that everyone is concerned about (for you) is that Monroe is on the very eastern edge of Metro Atlanta.

10 years ago (maybe even less), it really would not have even been considered "Metro" at all....

Old 04-19-2009, 01:17 PM

4 posts, read 42,324 times
Default thanks

Thank you all for your feedback! I checked areas mentioned (Decatur, Tucker) and they are quite far from Monroe.. What about Conyers or Athens? are they family oriented communities, or can you find professional singles there?

I will be in that area for 3 days, so not a lot of time to make a decision... Career-wise, it will be a step up, but I don't want to sacrifice social life/ safety/ quality of life... I'm not a US citizen- can anyone comment on the diversity there & how multicultural Atlanta is? Is it very conservative? How easy is it to meet other singles (ie professional men)?

Last edited by ipp2511; 04-19-2009 at 01:44 PM..

Old 04-19-2009, 01:52 PM

4,574 posts, read 7,500,755 times
The city of Atlanta is very liberal. However, outside of I-285 (with the exception of Gwinnett County) is pretty conservative. It won't be hard to meet other singles, since a bunch of people in ATL are singles (39% according to the US Census).

I thought Atlanta was surprisingly diverse. Lots of ethnic restaurants, festivals, art, etc.

Official Atlanta Culture & Atlanta Heritage Guide (http://www.atlantaheritage.com/index.html - broken link)

ZAGAT: Ratings & Reviews for New York, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Philadelphia and Restaurants Everywhere

Anyway, I got cost of living confused with quality of life. The cost of living in Atlanta will be lower than Denver. I think quality of life will be the same or higher.

Old 04-19-2009, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipp2511 View Post
Thank you all for your feedback! I checked areas mentioned (Decatur, Tucker) and they are quite far from Monroe.. What about Conyers or Athens? are they family oriented communities, or can you find professional singles there?

I will be in that area for 3 days, so not a lot of time to make a decision... Career-wise, it will be a step up, but I don't want to sacrifice social life/ safety/ quality of life... I'm not a US citizen- can anyone comment on the diversity there & how multicultural Atlanta is? Is it very conservative? How easy is it to meet other singles (ie professional men)?
You could try Athens, but the scene there tends towards the college-age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta