U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-20-2009, 01:51 PM

2,205 posts, read 4,262,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
The $30 Midland radio at Kroger will only go off for Severe T-storm watches/warnings or Tornado watches/warnings, and can be programmed for your county. We've never had an Amber alert set it off (assuming you're talking about the child abduction alerts, not the amber light that comes on for watches).
Right. Some of the newer models have civil emergency alerts, including fires, explosions, chemical spills, Amber alerts.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2009, 02:01 PM

9,913 posts, read 14,452,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btard View Post
Outdoor sirens are made to be heard by folks outdoors, who are away from tv & radio. You have to take proactive steps when you're indoors (weather radio, monitor tv, etc).
I wasn't feeling well last night so I retired early, and the storm sirens woke me up! I think we can hear three different sirens from inside our house. Can't hear the trains nearby, though.

Old 04-20-2009, 02:11 PM

7,626 posts, read 9,105,345 times
The sirens go off after the weather service issues a warning, correct? They don't actually mean a tornado has been spotted in the area? What type of info do the emergency radios give that might be different from the tv, or radio alerts?

Old 04-20-2009, 02:25 PM

7,697 posts, read 9,890,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
The sirens go off after the weather service issues a warning, correct? They don't actually mean a tornado has been spotted in the area? What type of info do the emergency radios give that might be different from the tv, or radio alerts?
If the NWS issues a tornado warning, then the sirens go off. A tornado warning means one has been sighted or is visible on doppler and is probably headed in that direction.

The radios do have a volume control. I have the Midland that I bought last year at Kroger.

Old 04-20-2009, 02:27 PM

9,913 posts, read 14,452,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Cobb County seems to sound the sirens for tornadoes and when any potentially severe storms enter the county (wind, hail, etc.).

When I hear the siren, I turn the TV on or use my web tablet to get more info, and this last episode shows storms marching both five miles north and five miles south of us but not much actually in our local area. It's nice to be alerted, though.

We have two weather radios as well, but I'll only use those if the power is out.

Old 04-20-2009, 02:36 PM

7,626 posts, read 9,105,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
If the NWS issues a tornado warning, then the sirens go off. A tornado warning means one has been sighted or is visible on doppler and is probably headed in that direction.

The radios do have a volume control. I have the Midland that I bought last year at Kroger.
Our sirens went off last night. We turned on the TV, and watched the progress of the storm. The weather person named roads, such as Arnold Mill, which is 2 miles from us, but, since the road is long, it could have been 10 miles away. Would the emergency radio be more concise as to location, or is it just the same info we are seeing on the TV screen? I'm just trying to figure out if it is worth getting one. Obviously if the power went out, a radio would be useful, but we have some battery powered radios around the house already.

Old 04-20-2009, 02:39 PM

9,127 posts, read 21,489,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Cobb County seems to sound the sirens for tornadoes and when any potentially severe storms enter the county (wind, hail, etc.).
On the plus side, some of Cobb's sirens (like the one near my house) actually has a speaker on it. When the siren goes off for a couple of minutes, you then hear an announcement telling you why it's going off. I live one block from it, so can hear it from most points in my house (though I'd hate to be the next door neighbors to it).

The BAD thing though, is that Cobb's sirens are interlinked. Let's say a tornado is spotted North of Kennesaw (like last night) - the sirens in Powder Springs, 15 miles South, will go off, too. You'd think with computer technology the way it is, they'd have a better way of setting off sirens just in affected areas and not county-wide when stuff hits. Oh well. Better than not having them.

Old 04-20-2009, 03:11 PM

2,205 posts, read 4,262,650 times
We live in the vicinity of GA 92 and Sandy Plains, near the NE corner of Cobb. There was impressive tornado damage only a mile from our home, a couple of years ago, and if today's AJC coverage is right, some of last night's damage would have to be within 5 miles. Tornadoes are now seeming a little too real to me.

According to FEMA, we're actually in a high-risk area: FEMA: Are You Ready? (http://www.fema.gov/areyouready/tornadoes.shtm - broken link). I don't want to rely on hearing the distant sirens in the middle of the night any more. We'll buy a weather radio - or probably two, one for our bedroom upstairs, and one for the basement retreat location.

Old 04-20-2009, 03:14 PM

7,697 posts, read 9,890,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
The BAD thing though, is that Cobb's sirens are interlinked. Let's say a tornado is spotted North of Kennesaw (like last night) - the sirens in Powder Springs, 15 miles South, will go off, too. You'd think with computer technology the way it is, they'd have a better way of setting off sirens just in affected areas and not county-wide when stuff hits. Oh well. Better than not having them.
Yeah, they issued another warning at around 1am that included Cobb, so the WX radio and the sirens went off. I turned on the TV to see if I needed to get the kids and wife and take cover, and the storm and suspected tornado was in South Fulton and was only going to maybe graze the edge of Cobb near Six Flags.

I guess better safe than sorry, but that probably cost me 2 hours of sleep.

Old 04-20-2009, 04:46 PM

1,254 posts, read 1,798,557 times
Selecting the alerts by county isn't fine grained enough, at least not for folks in Fulton. We had two tornado warnings last night. One for North Fulton where we live (that was the Woodstock storm which caused alerts in Cobb, Cherokee, and Borth Fulton) and one for a storm down in South Fulton, about 40 miles from us. Now if they re-formed Milton county, this problem would go away.

As for Comcast cable's emergency alert system: I appreciate getting the warnings on my TV, really I do. But it is very frustrating when they override the audio while I am watching (and listening to) a local meteorologist tell me about the storm! It kind of defeats the purpose of having the alert system. "Watch weather coverage NOW....but only after we are done with this 3-minute alert."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta