U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 04-20-2009, 06:49 PM

360 posts, read 566,676 times
I actually could hear the tornado sirens for the previous ones six weeks ago or so from inside my Scottdale home. It's a bit chilling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 04-20-2009, 08:42 PM

9,095 posts, read 19,637,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post

According to FEMA, we're actually in a high-risk area: FEMA: Are You Ready? (http://www.fema.gov/areyouready/tornadoes.shtm - broken link).
That's a somewhat updated map, too. It now lists North Georgia in the extreme ranks, and until recently, it was not. In the past, most of the weather sites used THIS MAP which was basically a frequency map, to also illustrate the most prone areas. We were slightly in a moderate zone then - now we're not.

Some sites suggest it's global warming. Others say the newer maps have been updated simply because more people are moving to the burbs and rural areas who can spot tornadoes, so it "seems" like there are more in places where there weren't many reports in the past. All I know is this - in the last 4-5 years, we've had FAR more tornado warnings in Springtime than in the 20 years before that in this area. It used to be somewhat rare to get them - in the last few Springs it seems like every line of thunderstorms that come through bring tornado risks with them. Very odd.

Get your weather radios. Keep a couple of days of clothes, batteries, first aid, etc., in a bag in the basement or interior closet. Keep your data backed up from your computer on an external hard drive and keep that in your emergency bag as well, so in case your home is severely damaged (along with your computer) you will have your important and hopefully scanned documents safe, etc.

Unread 04-21-2009, 09:51 AM

9 posts, read 29,451 times
Default Blackroze1000

Hi, everyone. My family and I are going to be moving from the Chicago area to Loganville this year. When I look on the Internet for homes, hardly any of them list having basements, which makes me a little nervous due to the tornadoes in the area. We're not new to tornado warnings living in Chicago, of course, but we do have a basement we can go down to, which makes me feel a little bit safer. Do most homes in the Georgia area NOT come with basements, or does it just happen to be the ones I'm looking at in Loganville?

Unread 04-21-2009, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackroze1000 View Post
Hi, everyone. My family and I are going to be moving from the Chicago area to Loganville this year. When I look on the Internet for homes, hardly any of them list having basements, which makes me a little nervous due to the tornadoes in the area. We're not new to tornado warnings living in Chicago, of course, but we do have a basement we can go down to, which makes me feel a little bit safer. Do most homes in the Georgia area NOT come with basements, or does it just happen to be the ones I'm looking at in Loganville?
Not every home here has a basement. Some are "daylight" basements that are partially exposed, others are fully underground. Finding a home with a basement here isn't rare, but again, not every home here has one. For a variety of reasons, basements come in very handy. Don't settle - I'm sure there's a home out there with one you'll want.

Unread 04-21-2009, 05:20 PM

200 posts, read 649,184 times
Default Tornado Warnings and Sirens

We moved to Atlanta not too long ago from overseas. The first time the siren went off in our neighborhood, we thought it was a home burglar alarm.

It went on and on and on for 45 minutes.

We thought, "Why doesn't someone turn that annoying alarm off?"

We had no idea until the next day that it was a tornado warning siren!

We should have been bunkered down in the basement instead of watching a movie upstairs.

As we don't have TV, buying a weather radio sounds like a good idea.

Unread 04-21-2009, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by globalnomad View Post

We should have been bunkered down in the basement instead of watching a movie upstairs.

As we don't have TV, buying a weather radio sounds like a good idea.
Ok, sorry, I gotta ask.... how were you watching a movie without a TV?

(and yes, buy the radio).

Unread 04-21-2009, 08:30 PM

2,205 posts, read 3,857,421 times
Probably like us ... also foreigners who didn't know what the Cobb siren was, the first time we heard it. We own a TV set but only ever used it to watch recorded movies. Our daughter's literacy skills benefited from a complete absence of TV in her younger years.

In the last year or so, we've added a computer (a reused older PC) to our entertainment zone, and after a quarter century without TV, we've actually taken up a bit of viewing of TV shows available online. We like "House" and "30 Rock", for example.

Unread 04-21-2009, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
Probably like us ... also foreigners who didn't know what the Cobb siren was, the first time we heard it. We own a TV set but only ever used it to watch recorded movies. Our daughter's literacy skills benefited from a complete absence of TV in her younger years.

In the last year or so, we've added a computer (a reused older PC) to our entertainment zone, and after a quarter century without TV, we've actually taken up a bit of viewing of TV shows available online. We like "House" and "30 Rock", for example.
I will agree that many experts say not to let a child NEAR a TV at least for the first couple of years. Also agreed that "most" people can do with recycled and refurbished (and much cheaper) PCs than new ones, too. Different topics I guess.

But, a suggestion, a portable battery powered hand-held TV is a very handy thing to have around for when there are weather emergencies, so you can watch the weather guys and gals do their thing, read up on alerts and see the radar when it's too dangerous (lighting, no power, etc) to use the PC to do it. Just make note that the old Casio and other branded hand TVs will stop working in June due to the digital conversion, so if you have old ones (like me), you'll have to buy a new one that has digital reception capability. I use my Casio all the time when the weather is bad and I'm in bed or the power goes out. Radios are great for when the alerts are issues, but it's nice to be able to watch the "live" weather reports, too.

Unread 04-21-2009, 10:10 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,481,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by globalnomad View Post
We had no idea until the next day that it was a tornado warning siren!
Now that you know what it is, wait until you hear one going off at noon. That will really get you worried!

Unread 04-22-2009, 06:41 AM

245 posts, read 784,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackroze1000 View Post
We looked at homes in Loganville and all of them had basements. I don't know if maybe the SD you looked at is more flat, topography wise. Also, it sometimes depends on the home price, cheaper houses=no basement. (that's not true 100% of the time, just a general rule) Basements definitely come in handy so I wouldn't settle on a house without one if you really want one. And also realize that some say basement but it is actually just a crawl-space. Make sure it's a "full basement"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta