Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 01:01 PM

188 posts, read 680,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
How about a cottage on St Simons Island? If you're sharing it with two other couples, it's a much better deal than renting hotel rooms.
Check out this website for Hodnett-Cooper. They handle my rental down there, and are very reputable.

www.hodnettcooper.com
Wanted to rent a unit from this company but found out that they have a 3 day minimum stay.

I don't want to stay in Econo lodge or some shady hotel, Any other recommendations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2010, 01:48 PM

69 posts, read 177,095 times
Although the gulf coast beaches are better than the GA beaches, I wouldn't plan on going to the gulf anytime soon. That is, unless you want to smell the stench of oil and watch animals die on the beach and wash up on the shore covered in black gunk. The gulf beaches are about to be ruined by this oil volcano that BP created. It is so very sad, because the beaches all along the Alabama and Florida panhandle are some of the best and most beautiful in the US. Try St. Simon's Island. It is a lovely town, but I will warn you the water gets HOT, HOT, HOT in the sumer time!

Old 05-12-2010, 01:49 PM

401 posts, read 557,521 times
Panama City Beach-- Gulf Lagoon area.

Old 05-12-2010, 01:51 PM

30 posts, read 77,426 times
I just stayed at Days Inn on Jekyll Island (right next to St Simons) this weekend. It's right on the beach, fairly reasonable rates (look online and on their Facebook page for specials), and has 2 pools - one heated, one unheated, and 2 hot tubs. I really liked it. The rooms were plain, but neat and clean and didn't smell/feel dirty/smell musty like some "Days Inn" Style rooms can. Oh - and a large free continental breakfast.

However, I will give a heads-up that Jekyll Island is a very quiet island - great place to relax on the beach, walk around or bike around the island on the trails, but it doesn't have a nightlife. A few restaurants and that is it.

St. Simons (which had a lot more going on) is just a quick 20 minute drive away). The beaches are nicer on Jekyll though.

I think our rate was around $114/night - oceanfront view - 2nd floor.

Good luck!

Oh - if you like camping - there are campgrounds all over the coast - I've stayed at Hunting Island, SC and loved it there. But when I go away to the beach I'm looking for the relaxing quiet beach trip.

Old 05-12-2010, 01:57 PM

1,666 posts, read 2,839,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
How about a cottage on St Simons Island? If you're sharing it with two other couples, it's a much better deal than renting hotel rooms.
Check out this website for Hodnett-Cooper. They handle my rental down there, and are very reputable.

www.hodnettcooper.com
\

Or jykel Island they have a water park there called Summer waves

Old 05-12-2010, 06:23 PM

72 posts, read 174,728 times
Depends what you like and what feel you are looking for. panama city is a little old school florida but the beach itself is very nice. Watercolor, seaside, rosemary beach are the same basic area but more planned and high end.

Rosemary beach is our top choice but most of the beaches of south walton are great.

Old 05-13-2010, 05:48 AM

1,748 posts, read 5,523,666 times
We usually go to the FL panhandle (and love it). The oil spill is keeping us from going this year. This year we are headed to Kiawah Island, SC. You can get a villa for three nights. We used Beachwalker rentals. I have not been there before so I can't comment on what it is like....but many friends have recommended it. Also I like that it is very close to Charleston which I have never had the chance to explore.

Old 05-13-2010, 07:01 AM

126 posts, read 317,816 times
It all depends on what you are looking for in a trip to the beach. I personally don't like the big beach areas, with the big hotels and the big tourist-type stuff (Panama City). I like the relaxing, low key beach trips where you stay in houses. For me, Folly Beach (just south of Charleston) is great. Rented a house there last weekend. 2nd Row house (meaning in the 2nd row of houses from the beach), 25 yard walk to beach access, huge deck with grill, etc. 3 couples, 4 single folks. House slept 10, cost less than $650 for the weekend. During the summer season, however, you need to rent for a whole week, but you can get fairly nice houses that sleep a good number of people for much less than hotels. For instance, the house we rented goes for $2500 for a week during the peak seasons. You have so much more room, privacy, etc than hotels.

I used this website to find houses in Folly (they manage a good portion of the rentals on the island): Avocet Properties

Old 05-13-2010, 09:34 AM

44 posts, read 111,046 times
Tybee Island outside of Savannah or Jekyll Island. Both in Georgia.

Old 05-13-2010, 11:03 AM

72 posts, read 174,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaday View Post
We usually go to the FL panhandle (and love it). The oil spill is keeping us from going this year. This year we are headed to Kiawah Island, SC. You can get a villa for three nights. We used Beachwalker rentals. I have not been there before so I can't comment on what it is like....but many friends have recommended it. Also I like that it is very close to Charleston which I have never had the chance to explore.
kiawah is very different from florida pan handle it is more in the vain of amelia island. in general the east coast of florida is a little more rough water wise and more shells in the sand. The west coast of florida/pan handle has white sand and more Caribbean look to the water. Kiawah is very woodsy with lots of trees in and around the development. Also Kiawah is heavy into golf as that is a big part of the development. As always they are great breaches and any beach is better than no beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta