U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2007, 12:15 PM

3 posts, read 5,657 times

Advertisements

My husband has a wonderful job opportunity in Atlanta, but we are hesitating because our younger son (26 months) has asthma and we somehow got this impression from others that Atlanta is pretty bad for that.

In the past all of his asthma attacks started with a cold. we live in west suburb of Chicago and this past winter had been terribly harsh on his respiratory system. So far his doctor hasn't found any other trigger other than cold virus. Does anyone have any information/experience regarding this? Thanks a lot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2007, 12:31 PM

3,972 posts, read 11,064,449 times
Me -- I get asthma like symptoms with colds -- but they have decreased over time (or maybe now that I am a mom for a long time, I just don't get as many colds.)

I do not get asthma from pollen, but if you do, watch out. We are having a horrible spring -- the worst (or worse) since 1999. It was so bad here last week, that parents of kids without allergies, were calling the school and saying they didn't want their kids going outside, even to walk to the trailer for art.

We also have a lot of pollution in the summer, particularly, a lot of Code Red days when kids can't go outside.

You might consider contacting an allergist here for advice... this group is good...

http://www.allergyatlanta.com/

Many people who move here from other places, develop allergies.

Old 04-02-2007, 12:54 PM

Thanks for the info, lastminutemom. I will try to get in touch with an allergist as you suggested. Don't quite want to give up that easily.

To my surprise, per weather.com, Georgia has a much worse flu season than Illinois in terms of length and severeness though with a much warmer weather.

Old 04-02-2007, 09:01 PM

9,188 posts, read 30,231,422 times
If the attacks are triggered by pollen then as someone else just said, Atlanta has about the worst of it.

Let's put it this way - they use a rating scale to measure pollen count in the air here. A count of 120 or more is considered "extremely high"... last week we had two days where the count was OVER 5000.. I think it was even 5,499 on one day! I have no respitory problems, and this year I had to go on massive amounts of pills just to BARELY make it through a few days. Two of my dogs are even on Benadryl as they started having a hard time breathing this time around.

On another note, there have been summers in the past where Atlanta has exceeded the Federal Air Quality standards on numerous days (due to car exhaust fumes and pollution in general), and in a couple of those years, exceeded them even more than L.A.

I'm just going to sum it up that if someone (young or old) has any type of issues that involve their respiratory system, Atlanta is not exactly the poster child for "clean air" for those people. Places like Atlanta, L.A., Houston... just not good places for that. Your child is only just past 2 years old too, so ask yourself this - how will growing up in air like that have an additional effect on lung development as he matures?

Old 04-02-2007, 09:11 PM

1,088 posts, read 5,826,613 times
Atlantagreg is right. Atlanta has very poor air quality. To show that, the Atlanta region is the only metropolitan area in the US which has had it's federal highway money taken away because of poor air quality. We have it back now but because we went back out of attainment last year we are in danger of losing it again. LA, Houston, Phoenix- none of them lost their federal highway money. Only Atlanta.

Old 04-03-2007, 01:36 PM

Well I guess it is time to be moderate about my husband's career path. Besides he has seasonal allergy too.

Thanks, everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or