Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 09:09 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,880,495 times

Advertisements

Don't forget.. Wed. April 22 is Earth Day.

By now, we all should have made some changes in our lives to help the environment. But just in case you um.. "forgot", then use tomorrow as an excuse to replace some of those house bulbs with compact florescent or LED bulbs, switch to an Earth-friendly laundry detergent (http://www.supereco.com/detergent/kirkland-signature-laundry-detergent/ - broken link), turn off the lights when you're not in a room, take public transit if/when you can, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2009, 11:22 PM

2,642 posts, read 8,259,583 times
Hey, Greg, thanks for the reminder.

I'm taking MARTA from the CP station to the Dunwoody Station to attend a work-related function at the Crowne Plaza Ravinia. I am glad I have the opportunity to do that instead of driving.

Old 04-24-2009, 04:10 PM

1,104 posts, read 1,521,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
Don't forget.. Wed. April 22 is Earth Day.

By now, we all should have made some changes in our lives to help the environment. But just in case you um.. "forgot", then use tomorrow as an excuse to replace some of those house bulbs with compact florescent or LED bulbs, switch to an Earth-friendly laundry detergent (http://www.supereco.com/detergent/kirkland-signature-laundry-detergent/ - broken link), turn off the lights when you're not in a room, take public transit if/when you can, etc.
Yea F-ing Right UG!!!! Earthday in Ilovemycar Georgia??? That is comical. Celebrate Earthday in Trainsarefortheuglypoorandblack Georgia???

The Earth will be destroyed.

Did you see the HAIL yesterday.....In late April???? How about the snow storm March 1st 2009???? Is it summer already?

Greg tell me this.....what is the point?

Old 04-24-2009, 05:10 PM

210 posts, read 454,942 times
I unplugged my TV and NES (yes, that one) the nights before, during and after, if that counts for anything. I converted my room and the entire adjoining floor to compact fluorescent lighting two years ago...now my window shines blue at night. 8)

Old 04-24-2009, 06:21 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,308,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolyfett View Post
Yea F-ing Right UG!!!! Earthday in Ilovemycar Georgia??? That is comical. Celebrate Earthday in Trainsarefortheuglypoorandblack Georgia???

Did you see the HAIL yesterday.....In late April???? How about the snow storm March 1st 2009???? Is it summer already?

The Earth will not be destroyed, if you look at this huge mass from a large scale universe-wide POV. Mother earth has existed for billions of years and barring some super calamity like a giant meteor or our sun going supernova, it will continue to be here for the next billion or so years.

What we human beings WILL be detroying however is our ability to exist on this planet. The environment's degradation is merely Mother earth's way of slowly punishing & weeding out the pathogenic organsims which is us, the humans.

Just because these discarded cans, old cars, & nuclear waste take hundreds, if not thousands of years to biodegrade don't mean that they can't. It's just that this waste that we create will not biodegrade in a fast enough timespan to become less of a poisonous nuisance to us human beings. Bottomline? Earth will survive. MANKIND will not.

Just my humble opinion, anyways...

Old 04-24-2009, 06:24 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,308,673 times
If all the countries on this planet had consume as many resources & produce as much pollution as the United States, mankind would probably be extinct already.

Old 04-24-2009, 09:00 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,880,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolyfett View Post

Wow... someone pooped in someone's corn flakes this morning.

Old 04-25-2009, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
What we human beings WILL be detroying however is our ability to exist on this planet. The environment's degradation is merely Mother earth's way of slowly punishing & weeding out the pathogenic organsims which is us, the humans. .
Thats.....sorta what I meant AcidSnake.....Im sure the air was a lot cleaner in 1979 in Atlanta then it is this year. I beat many people don't even know the REAL color of pollen. Its not that tennis ball greenish-yellow stuff that we see on our cars. Everyone and their uncle has some kind of cancer and I won't even get into the population of Fat People. Recycling should be big business by now, government funded plants could create a lot of gigs. Everyone thought Eisenhower, Rockefeller & Ford were these geniuses. Look where we are now. Henry Flagler should have stayed with train development instead of selling out to those guys. I still don't believe the hype on high gas prices we were forced to pay in 2007 & 2008 and now they are hanging just under 2 bucks? So who exactly changed their habits Europe? Asia? Definitely not the United States, so whats really going on?

Old 04-25-2009, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
Wow... someone pooped in someone's corn flakes this morning.

Um nope. Im actually happy...just strange seeing an Earth Day post in an Atlanta forum...The two don't mix. *smiles*

Old 04-25-2009, 06:52 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,189,759 times
Like Greg mentioned, make every day "earth day" in your own world. Use CFLs and turn off lights and unplug chargers, turn your heat down and your A/C up, take a 5 min shower and make sure the dishwasher and washing machines are full before running, recycle your houshold waste as much as possible. Teach your kids to be responsible for their own world.

When we first moved here, we were devestated that there was no curbside recycling offered, and ended up driving all the recycling because we couldn't throw away this stuff in the trash after many years of reducing our rubbish. Luckily, after calling around, we finally found a trash service that does both rubbish and recycling pickup. Many people won't spend the money (for us $6/mo) or make the effort to recycle which is very sad.

I'm a believer in personal choice and people doing the right thing out of conviction rather than a government mandate, but I can't beleive that GA still doesn't require that curbside recycling be offered like most states. Still, even given that fact, people here seem to be behind the 8 ball on recycling. I've noticed that many folks here throw away bottles and cans, whereas when we lived in MA, it was almost automatic that the host would collect all the bottles and cans in the garage or somewhere to take back for deposit or to go in the recycling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: