U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-30-2009, 08:33 PM

1,104 posts, read 501,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post

Fact is just because you're from here doesn't mean you have to like a team from here.
Very True, but it also doesn't mean you have to hate them either. If you said you were an Redskins or Dolphins fan living in Atlanta Id give you props, but Cowboys....naw thats bandwagon
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2009, 12:49 AM

2,758 posts, read 3,439,262 times
Quote:
1)Im bandwagon because I follow the teams I grew up watching? Everyone in my house was a Cowboys fan, EVERYONE. That's how you know when your organization is garbage when you're happy just to make the playoffs every now and then and not actually win. When your organization is good you expect to win a championship every year and anything less isn't acceptable.
2) I don't have an NBA team because I honestly don't follow basketball like that outside of college. Let me put it like this, if your team has fans that wear paper bags over their heads to the games they're garbage. Also I notice no one disputed the fact that Atlanta has some of the worst fans. BANDWAGON???? Bandwagon is the Georgia Dome being completely empty when the Falcons aren't winning.
3) We haven't even won a playoff game since the 90's and still have better fan support. How can you be satisfied with going to the playoffs every now and then? Hell we have gone and at the end of the day if we didn't get a ring who cares?? I thought that was the goal... and THAT is how you know when people are used to accepting mediocrity.
4) Face the facts, Atlanta has to be in the top three worst professional sports towns in the country. As I said before I don't watch baseball but the Braves haven't done much as of lately either. But you guys don't have to listen to me... just do a google search for worst pro sports towns and look who is #1 on almost ALL of the lists. Truth hurts.

1)I apologize, bandwagonism is in your DNA. You grew up in a bandwagon household, are your parents from Atlanta? Atlanta sports teams aren't as established and ATL fans don't have it as easy but when we get success it feels good because we know that we earned it and we appreciate it very much. I love seeing the Hawks and Falcons get better and I loved the Iron Grip the Bravos had in the NL East for 14 yrs (I doubt it'll be repeated). 2)The same thing could be said about Detroit Lions fans but we all know that Detroit has great fans, but you'd be dumb to support ineptitude. As a fan would you support a team who made no attempt to better itself? Would you support a bad owner,bad GM,has-been coach, garbage scouts, old garbage QB, and arena league talant? If the answer is yes then you're (or me) the biggest sucker in the world because the owner's lining his pockets and he has no need to better the on-field product. So we still lose. Fans have power and they forced action.
3) That's really nice Brown. Are those "die-hard" going to be there in the end this year when when Dallas miss the play-offs (again)? New York and Philly already locked up 1 and 2 in the NFC East so it's between the "Boys" and Skins (one of their loses will be against the Falcons).
4) The "truth" huh? I hope that you didn't get your info from the Worldwide Follower, ESPN, because we know what they're about. Here's the truth in a nutshell- Atlanta natives 50 and up had to follow a different team for most of their lives and this is a transient city. I think it's safe to say that those 35 on down are good sports fans (you should know this). Regarding the Hawks failing to sell-out, this is a recession man, even the die-hard Yankee, Mets, and Red Sox fans had a hard time filling up their venues. There was actually a time when the New York Yankees were a cold commodity and the fans stayed away and not to long ago the Boston Celtics were garbage and the their fans had better things to do (they didn't show up). LA fans are no better than Hawks fans or Braves fans (I don't need to explain you know already). Add Cleveland in there too, they were 2002 ATL Hawks level (fans and organization) before Lebron and Dallas wasn't anything before Dirk and Cuban.

Quote:
And let me ask this, what do you think of the fact that out of state colleges recruit more 5 star high school athletes than local colleges do? Does that make all of those players bandwagon too? Auburn, Florida, Kentucky and South Carolina.. check out their roster as compared to UGA and GT.

Fact is just because you're from here doesn't mean you have to like a team from here.
That's a good point. I always thought they chose a school based on exposure, school rep, getting away from parents, fine dames, cash from boosters, facilities, etc. You got me on this one. You are a good dude so don't take any of this personal. Good discussion though.

Old 05-01-2009, 10:14 AM

1,615 posts, read 2,064,690 times
lol dude just gave the most pathetic reason for his logic in the history of sports. If I would have been a redskins dan it wouldn't have been bandwagon but because I like the cowboys it is. With some of the logic people use in here I now understand why the state of sports here is the way it is.

Call it bandwagon or whatever you want, but we support our team regardless unlike the fairweather fans here. I understand your aggression though... if I had to grow up as a Falcons or Hawks fan I suppose id be angry as well.

Old 05-01-2009, 05:15 PM

1,104 posts, read 501,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Summers View Post
Here's the truth in a nutshell- Atlanta natives 50 and up had to follow a different team for most of their lives and this is a transient city. I think it's safe to say that those 35 on down are good sports fans (you should know this).
Those are the only Steelers and Cowboy fans I can respect...all those old school cats from the 70s, when I meet a Cowboys/Steelers fan in Atlanta that is younger than 33, I don't even take the convo seriously...The Cowboys have not won anything since the 95 season, so the more they lose the more I respect their fan base. Falcons will get their time. Out of 32 teams only 5 teams have never been to the Superbowl, 17 teams have won it, leaving 15 teams that have not. 15 teams don't have the almighty chrome football. That is under half the league. Teams like KC & NYJ have not won since the merger, both have a great fan base.

Old 05-03-2009, 10:44 PM

6 posts, read 9,288 times
FALCONS!!!! Haha actually I live in Boston... but I have been a Vick/Falcons fan ever since he was a backup for Chris Chandler or whoever was the QB back then...

Old 05-11-2009, 12:29 PM

49 posts, read 71,623 times
Default Braves

1-Braves, by far.
2-Falcons

In my opinion UGA has a stronger presence than GT, maybe because most ppl prefer the SEC over the ACC?

The Braves are the only local team that I feel have a consistent fan base. The support for other teams depends on their record....

Old 05-11-2009, 12:42 PM

969 posts, read 1,894,476 times
Wanna have fun? Go up to some drunk redneck on a Friday night who's wearing a UGA ballcap & proceed:

you: "Hey, I went to UGA too! When did you graduate?"
drunk: "Do whut?"
you: "yeah, what year?"
drunk: " I ain't never been there for no skoolin".
you: "Hmm...so why are you decked out in UGA garb, including the UGA tailgate cover?"
drunk: "Cuz I'm from Georgia!"
you: "Well, Georgia Tech is from Georgia too."
drunk: "I HATE THEM!"
you: "Why?"
drunk: "Cuz they ain't Georgia!"

At this point, just give up, walk away & shake your head.

Old 05-11-2009, 12:51 PM

7,852 posts, read 12,758,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaflsc View Post
Wanna have fun? Go up to some drunk redneck on a Friday night who's wearing a UGA ballcap & proceed:

you: "Hey, I went to UGA too! When did you graduate?"
drunk: "Do whut?"
you: "yeah, what year?"
drunk: " I ain't never been there for no skoolin".
you: "Hmm...so why are you decked out in UGA garb, including the UGA tailgate cover?"
drunk: "Cuz I'm from Georgia!"
you: "Well, Georgia Tech is from Georgia too."
drunk: "I HATE THEM!"
you: "Why?"
drunk: "Cuz they ain't Georgia!"

At this point, just give up, walk away & shake your head.
It's the same way in every state with a large public institution like UGA...everybody from every corner of the state - even the least educated - is a fan of the big university.

Old 05-11-2009, 12:53 PM

7,852 posts, read 12,758,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint.Patrick View Post
1-Braves, by far.
2-Falcons

In my opinion UGA has a stronger presence than GT, maybe because most ppl prefer the SEC over the ACC?

The Braves are the only local team that I feel have a consistent fan base. The support for other teams depends on their record....
It's the same everywhere...fan support for the local teams depends on how successful they are.

Old 05-11-2009, 07:08 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,064,690 times
No it is NOT... there are plenty of places where the stadium will be full regardless and that's what the fans here don't seem to understand. Before Vick the dome was practically empty. Like someone has pointed out its been years since we won the bowl yet we still sell out. Its the same reason the dome was almost half cowboy fans when we played here.

And to the person that said they respect those that followed cowboys and steelers during their championship years, THAT is what a bandwagon dan is someone that supports a team because they're successful. Some folks just don't get it. Im from GA but im not from Atlanta so call it what you want... but honestly there are more out of state team fans here than falcon fans by far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta