Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 12:15 PM

16,700 posts, read 29,521,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Not much building going on in No. Fulton, but the developers were quick to clear huge tracts and put in retention ponds. Now we get to look at hideous orange construction fences, weeds, and stagnant water instead of trees. I don't know why cities don't make these developers maintain the areas that they clear.

Yes.

This is one reason why I think incorporation would be good throughout the Metro Area.

When you see the care taken with in-fill development in East Cobb (unincorporated) versus Roswell (incorporated)...there is such a difference!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2009, 12:58 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,380,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Not much building going on in No. Fulton, but the developers were quick to clear huge tracts and put in retention ponds. Now we get to look at hideous orange construction fences, weeds, and stagnant water instead of trees. I don't know why cities don't make these developers maintain the areas that they clear.
Many cities do- they've got to maintain the silt fence and erosion control measures, and also keep the lots cut to prevent creating habitats for rats, etc. In my town, they've been very strict in enforcing this, and even on lots that have gone back to the bank, they've made the bank maintain the lots.

Old 05-03-2009, 01:07 AM

156 posts, read 433,559 times
A lot of the traditional suburbanites have been moving back intown. Inside the Perimeter continues to gentrify because of the great commutes (compared to the burbs) and the tons of non-cookie cutter neighborhoods. The intown renaissance is really impacting the "next exit" development.

Old 05-03-2009, 02:20 PM

2,819 posts, read 10,402,897 times
I would say yes and no. Granted the ITP population has grown and the city limits of Atlanta has increased by 100,000+ over the last 5 years, but then again the 10 county Atlanta Metro has increased by over 1 million.
I was reading the Atanta Business Chronicle and each year they place annual projections from population to business for the City of Atlanta and the MSA.
Currently, the ABC is projecting another population decrease for the City of Atlanta in 2010 and 11.
Of course, like the rest of the burbs, if you want to move into the city you can find some real bargins in condo's.

Old 06-07-2009, 10:37 AM

256 posts, read 750,124 times
Wow, thanks for all the info, guys! It is great to hear that sprawl has drastically slowed down, even if it is still happening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J2rescue View Post
It is still happening unfortunately but the rate has slowed dramatically in just the last few years.

"About 112,000 acres of agricultural and forested land were converted (to residential or commercial use) between 2003 and 2005, while 31,000 acres were converted from 2005 to 2007, a decrease of more than 70 percent."

For 2008 26,000 acres were converted about 8,000 of which were in the outer ring counties. Its a dramatic slowdown but its going to take a long time to turn this ship around.

Here's the ARC report on the subject. Land Development in the Atlanta Region (http://www.atlantaregional.com/documents/RS_landpro_web.pdf - broken link)
Great information! Thanks a lot. That ARC report is fascinating. I love the county-by-county breakdown. Looks like there are still plenty of forests and farmland to destroy, unfortunately. But perhaps in the future people will realize how counterproductive this is and demand that they be preserved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedudewiththeplan View Post
From what I saw within the past year, it still is in South Fayette and Coweta county. At least people have started to move back to the city though.
Yeah, from what I've seen on Google Maps that area of the metro (including a lot of South Fulton) still has tooonnnsss of undeveloped land because the metro area is growly much more rapidly on the northern side than the southern side. Hopefully it will be developed with more forethought and better planning than the northern suburbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia View Post
I would say yes and no. Granted the ITP population has grown and the city limits of Atlanta has increased by 100,000+ over the last 5 years, but then again the 10 county Atlanta Metro has increased by over 1 million.
I was reading the Atanta Business Chronicle and each year they place annual projections from population to business for the City of Atlanta and the MSA.
Currently, the ABC is projecting another population decrease for the City of Atlanta in 2010 and 11.
Of course, like the rest of the burbs, if you want to move into the city you can find some real bargins in condo's.
Really??? Wow, I haven't heard anything about that. Why would the population decrease rather than just be stagnant?

Old 06-07-2009, 10:47 AM

593 posts, read 2,894,393 times
In a word, YES.

For the moment the new home contruction is at a stand still. Many of the subdivisions and construction projects were foreclosed on. But they continue to build large shopping centers.
Without good planning and with no incentive to live closer in, jobs moving out, the sprawl will continue .
By the way, there really isn't a lot of agriculture in north georgia so it's not like they are going to go back to growing corn or soybeans anyway.

Old 06-07-2009, 02:39 PM

2,819 posts, read 10,402,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy Springs Rep. View Post
Wow, thanks for all the info, guys! It is great to hear that sprawl has drastically slowed down, even if it is still happening.

Great information! Thanks a lot. That ARC report is fascinating. I love the county-by-county breakdown. Looks like there are still plenty of forests and farmland to destroy, unfortunately. But perhaps in the future people will realize how counterproductive this is and demand that they be preserved.

Yeah, from what I've seen on Google Maps that area of the metro (including a lot of South Fulton) still has tooonnnsss of undeveloped land because the metro area is growly much more rapidly on the northern side than the southern side. Hopefully it will be developed with more forethought and better planning than the northern suburbs.

Really??? Wow, I haven't heard anything about that. Why would the population decrease rather than just be stagnant?
I have no idea, just that the Atlanta Business Chronicle's annual report show projectionary numbers of a decrease.

Old 06-07-2009, 04:08 PM

925 posts, read 2,607,274 times
New development in Cherokee County has practically come to a stand-still. Subdivisions that broke ground from mid 2007 onward either sit empty, or they are only partially complete.

I haven't seen land cleared for a new subdivision in about two years.

Old 06-08-2009, 03:16 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,380,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Fanatic View Post
New development in Cherokee County has practically come to a stand-still. Subdivisions that broke ground from mid 2007 onward either sit empty, or they are only partially complete.

I haven't seen land cleared for a new subdivision in about two years.
Harmony on the Lakes is still going strong- Pulte just started cutting in the road for the last phase in their portion. There's also a new development on New Light Road that did its sitework over the past 6 months, and is now going to the planning board for a modified layout- they're likely to start models in the next few months.

It's nothing like it was a few years ago, but I wouldn't call it a "standstill". There was actually an article in the Cherokee Tribune last week about permits, and they're starting to increase- I think you're going to see it start to come back rather soon.

Old 06-08-2009, 09:17 AM

925 posts, read 2,607,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Harmony on the Lakes is still going strong- Pulte just started cutting in the road for the last phase in their portion. There's also a new development on New Light Road that did its sitework over the past 6 months, and is now going to the planning board for a modified layout- they're likely to start models in the next few months.

It's nothing like it was a few years ago, but I wouldn't call it a "standstill". There was actually an article in the Cherokee Tribune last week about permits, and they're starting to increase- I think you're going to see it start to come back rather soon.
I'm aware that Harmony on the Lakes is seeing infill along their already poured streets and utility hookups. However, it's very slow. The very south end of Harmony on the Lakes is taking forever to fill in.

I've seen the site work on New Light Road. That land was cleared about two years ago.

Have you seen the land that was cleared at the southwestern intersection of Butterworth Road and Bells Ferry Road. Three years later and it sits vacant. I'm sure it was a case of a developer going broke.

I've seen the subdivision off Marble Quarry Road (Manous Manor) take forever. It's still less than half complete after getting started three years ago. It's a two street subdivision, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta