Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2009, 10:28 AM

2 posts, read 3,827 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

I just graduated college and I'm moving to ATL from Florida. My office is located right outside the perimeter, in Marietta (Wildwood Parkway).

I'm looking to find a house that is within a 15-20 min commute to Marietta, with a town that has a younger, more vibrant atmosphere with good entertainment and energy. Looking for something that's a notch or two more mature than college life but not too formal -- perfect for young professionals. Preferably within walking distance to some nice bars/restaurants and in between midtown and Marietta. Ideally, Buckhead would be great but I'm looking for a 4 or 5 bedroom house below $200k and I'm afraid that would be difficult to find, plus I have a feeling the commute would be pretty long. Also, if it's possible to be close to a MARTA line, that would be an additional bonus.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd really appreciate it. Thank you in advance!

Justin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2009, 10:49 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,487,576 times
Vinings might meet these criteria>>>
<I'm looking to find a house that is within a 15-20 min commute to Marietta, with a town that has a younger, more vibrant atmosphere with good entertainment and energy. Looking for something that's a notch or two more mature than college life but not too formal -- perfect for young professionals. Preferably within walking distance to some nice bars/restaurants and in between midtown and Marietta.>
It's SW of Marietta and I75 is one of the more direct routes to the city.

As for finding a 4/5 bedroom house for around $200,000 I think you would have to look much further outside the perimeter.

There really isn't a 'town' between Marietta and Midtown--just metro Atlanta.

Old 05-06-2009, 10:57 AM

5,633 posts, read 5,359,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybay86 View Post
I'm looking for a 4 or 5 bedroom house below $200k and I'm afraid that would be difficult to find, plus I have a feeling the commute would be pretty long. Also, if it's possible to be close to a MARTA line, that would be an additional bonus.
If you find a 4-5 bedroom house near MARTA anywhere NEAR midtown or Marietta for under $200k, please let us know. I've been looking for that for years. I don't think you are going to find that kind of living in any energetic, vibrant area around here, or anywhere near the middle of town.

Old 05-06-2009, 11:25 AM

1,114 posts, read 2,349,797 times
I find the trip to Windy Hill/Wildwood Parkway from Midtown to be about 15-20 minutes max. It'd be ideal for a younger professional outside of the 4/5bdr requirement. Any reason you want a home for a decent sized family unless you have a family? Under 200k will find you a good 1bdr condo in a nice building or a mediocre 2bdr in an older building in Midtown or even in Buckhead. There may be some 3/4 story 2bdr townhomes near peachtree that are close to 200k but I think they were a fair amt over the last time I checked and only have 1 room per story.

Old 05-06-2009, 11:41 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,382,644 times
Good luck with that 4/5 br for under $200k- you'll be an hour outside 285 or in a crack den.....lol

Old 05-06-2009, 08:27 PM

2 posts, read 3,827 times
Thanks for all the replies! I'll be moving to ATL with some friends and we were looking to all get a house together. The Vinings area sounds pretty good, anyone know the area well and could recommend some places to focus on? Where are the popular hangout spots?

Old 05-08-2009, 09:58 AM

285 posts, read 876,484 times
Vinings is not really a "happening" place IMO. I live in Adam's Crossing (corner of Marietta Blvd and Bolton Rd.) which is just south of Vinings and I hardly ever go up that way. It's not really a walking community and is mostly made up of condos/townhouses. It's clean and it's a nice community though. Definintely way above the college life.

There are some 3/4br houses around Adam's Crossing that are for sale in the low to mid 300s, there's absolutely nothing within walking distance though. It's fairly close to midtown/buckhead/downtown by back roads. They're supposed to be tearing down an old strip mall to put up a mixed use area right there but I wouldn't count on it.

You could probably find a 4+br around the windy hill/south cobb drive/atlanta rd area, but the neighborhood would not be the greatest. There's some pretty eclectic shopping up there though....

If you find somewhere that fits your description let me know too heh. I'm looking at places around East Atlanta or maybe a loft in Castleberry. I work in Dunwoody, but HATE the burbs. I want to live within walking/moped distance of some fun hangouts. There's a marta station right next to where I work so it shouldn't be too bad.

Cheap/Good Location/Safe pick 2

Old 05-11-2009, 05:25 PM

927 posts, read 2,226,222 times
You will only get 4 BR 200k in South Fulton, Stone Mountain, Lithonia, or a suburb outside the perimeter, as someone else mentioned. None of these places would offer what you're looking for.

If you could stretch your budget a bit, Virgnia-Highlands, Lindbergh, Little 5 Points and other parts of East Atlanta, and midtown would be the best. Midtown, Lindbergh, and Little 5 are more "happening," many parts of East Atlanta are more residential. Buckhead is more luxe nowadays, and the club scene has pretty much died out there. For the total package-- MARTA friendly, happening, close to Marietta, relatively inexpensive (compared to other major cities), I'd say midtown.

If you do some research and look into foreclosures, don't mind a fixer-upper or can opt for a condo, you can find a property in the type of neighborhood you want at a decent price (300-400k). Hardly anywhere in the city of Atlanta or even within the perimeter (the 285 highway that separates the urban areas of Atlanta from the suburbs, in case you are unfamiliar) will get you 4BR at 200k with the neighborhood features you want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta