U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2007, 06:43 AM

949 posts, read 3,479,782 times

Advertisements

When Detroit accountant David Gibson married a Midtown Atlanta legal secretary a couple of years ago, his bride began preparing for a move to the Motor City.

Then it snowed.

"She changed her mind," Gibson said Wednesday, pumping his fist up and down at a Subway restaurant in Gwinnett County. "I was like, 'Yes' "

Gibson, 46, wasn't the only one who said "yes" to Atlanta.

No other metro area in the country added more residents roughly 890,000 between 2000 to 2006, according to U.S. Census Bureau city rankings released today. Dallas, Houston, Phoenix and Riverside, Calif., rounded out the top five.

Atlanta's surge has pushed the area above the 5 million-person mark, the census reported last month, to an estimated 5,138,000 in July 2006. That has led to less desirable No. 1 rankings in average commute time increases, for example. But the region's continued magnetism speaks to its resilience in the face of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks and dot-com industry woes, forces that since 2000 have crippled growth in many other cities.

"I think there was some talk a couple years ago that the bloom was off the rose in metro Atlanta," said William Frey, a demographer at the Brookings Institution in Washington. "I think these numbers show that's not true."

Atlanta is now the clear leader in a national population shift toward the South and Sunbelt, Frey said. Many newcomers to the 28 counties of metro Atlanta have arrived from old economy cities around the Great Lakes. Others are fleeing the expensive housing bubbles of the Northeast in favor of Atlanta's comparatively cheap houses, Frey said.

As a result, since 2000, metro Atlanta has vaulted to No. 9 nationally in total population, passing Boston and Detroit.

Even New York, the nation's most populous metro area at 18.8 million, has mustered only half the increase that Atlanta has this decade.

The growth has challenged school systems and transportation officials to keep up, said Mike Alexander, chief of the research division at the Atlanta Regional Commission planning agency. Trailer classrooms and traffic jams are a daily reality in many parts of the region.

But the good news, Alexander said, is that people have had enough confidence to move here despite slower job growth than in the late 1990s. And now there are signs that employment is catching up, he said, with Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport recovered from the post-Sept. 11 slump and Delta Air Lines expected to emerge from bankruptcy this spring. "We've honestly already taken our hit on the tech sector," he said.

While roughly a third of metro Atlanta's growth came in the form of births, newcomers from outside the region drove most of the increase, the census figures revealed.

Soo Kwon of Duluth said she and her husband spent a decade in Chicago before moving to Atlanta last year in search of investment opportunities in the region's growing Korean community. Now Kwon, 36, is working as a clerk at Maum, an upscale cafe near Doraville filled with Midwestern transplants. Her husband works in commercial real estate.

Kwon recalled hearing about Atlanta's fabulous weather from friends who moved here four years earlier. Chicago, she said, was simply too cold.

Chalk up another one to the snow.

http://www.ajc.com/news/content/metro/stories/2007/04/05/0405metcensus.html (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2007, 07:35 AM
JPD

12,159 posts, read 14,996,822 times
Interesting that with this insane population growth Atlanta STILL can't produce enough people to support local musicians and artists.

Old 04-05-2007, 11:41 AM
LLD

654 posts, read 2,814,721 times
Hmmm.. I must have read the article wrong in USA Today. I don't have it with me but it showed the top 10 growth metro areas and Atlanta was not in that list. It did show the 900,000 increase as a listing.

And I don't see the article in the online version. I'll have to look at the paper version later and report back.

Old 04-05-2007, 08:58 PM

1,755 posts, read 5,007,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Interesting that with this insane population growth Atlanta STILL can't produce enough people to support local musicians and artists.
I'm not supposed to support them.

Guess, that's why Artist can go to the city of Atlanta and ask for ridiculous money to put ugly sculptures up around Atlanta and have the tax payers pay for it. So yes, Atlanta tax payers are supporting artist.

If someone wants to pay money for art, that's their perogative, but not expect people who could care less about it and have to pay for a mortgage, support kids, save for retirement, pay for kids schools, etc.... to support a 'hobby'.

As far as musicians... I guess if someone doesn't like the music they shouldn't be forced to pay for it. If they like it, then they can buy that CD or go to a concert, what else do you want?

As for the growth rate, kinda explains why roads are so bad. Kinda hard to predict that growth and at the same time expand transportation to support it.

Also note, some Counties were added to 'Metro' Atlanta

Old 04-05-2007, 09:09 PM

9,188 posts, read 30,139,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLD View Post
Hmmm.. I must have read the article wrong in USA Today. I don't have it with me but it showed the top 10 growth metro areas and Atlanta was not in that list. It did show the 900,000 increase as a listing.

And I don't see the article in the online version. I'll have to look at the paper version later and report back.
The particular group that did that used the expanded 28 county metro Atlanta figure (heck, that's half of North Georgia). Other groups that do this type of thing use varied other amounts of land/space around a city to determine a "metro area". I've seen stat groups use everything from 5 to 8 to 15 and up to 28 counties around Atlanta and call them part of our metro area, so there's no consistant method for coming up with these numbers.

Old 04-05-2007, 09:20 PM

234 posts, read 548,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLD View Post
the #1 is increase in sheer people. Percentage-wise, it's not in the top 10. It's generally the smaller areas that have the highest percentage increases.

Old 04-06-2007, 06:18 AM
LLD

654 posts, read 2,814,721 times
Okay I have the article and it is using # of people -- that is the measure, as a percentage change of the previous population.

And Atlanta is not in the top 10 metro areas of growth -- which are all 24% growth and higher -- the highest being 39.8% and that is St. George, Utah. Phoenix is #10 on that list. And yeah it seems the definition of metro area in this case is broad and can include a wide range of population sizes.

However, among the largest metropolitan area in the US (regions centered on one or more cities of at least 50K), Atlanta is third at 21% growth. Phoenix is #1 at 24.2% and Riverside, CA is #2 at 23.7%. There are 20 "large" metro areas.

These changes are all for 2000 to 2006.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or