Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 07:26 AM

13 posts, read 58,313 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are new to the area and we are having a hard time meeting people. What do late-twenty somethings do around here? Or does everyone go downtown for entertainment?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2007, 09:18 PM

1,755 posts, read 5,679,870 times
It really depends on your taste and where you live

If you just want a local bar to hang out, there's a few in Townlake up in Woodstock, otherwise head to Barrett for a few more. I'm sure Alpharetta and Roswell have their local hot spots.

Try atlanta.citysearch.com

In Alpharetta there's a Comedy Club that we drive to all the way from Acworth to attend. Don't know about bars, etc in those areas.

But yeah most people head to Buckhead, Midtown, VA Highlands.

Most late-twenty somethings that live in these areas don't do much now that they're married and in their late twenties, I'm one of them. I use to live downtown and right outside the Perimeter and hit Midtown, VA Highlands all the time, more of a pub guy. Not so much anymore.

I do more fishing, golf, camping, softball, wakeboarding these days, less late night drinking.

I see alot of couples, who never even played, doing Tennis to meet people and do something active.

As far as downtown google, Screen on the Green, and Dogwood Festival, both are coming up and downtown in the park.

We still go out but just grew out of the club/hang out at bars all night phase.

Old 04-07-2007, 07:40 PM

663 posts, read 1,863,267 times
I'm not trying to be smart here, but you have a S.O., so why is meeting people such as big deal? If you were in NYC, you could walk down the street and meet people. Here, everyone locks themselves in their cars and homes. But think about it, for single people, Atlanta is even more of a challenge. So just, relax and enjoy the Atlanta area, instead of focusing on the faults.

Old 04-07-2007, 08:08 PM

1,025 posts, read 4,094,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jane213 View Post
My husband and I are new to the area and we are having a hard time meeting people. What do late-twenty somethings do around here?
So many suburban activities are planned around children. Singles and childless couples can feel isolated unless they have joined a golf club, tennis team or other hobby-based club.

Jane, you might consider visiting some of the local churches where there are many opportunities for social interaction with other couples in your age group.

Old 04-08-2007, 08:29 AM

13 posts, read 58,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkone View Post
I'm not trying to be smart here, but you have a S.O., so why is meeting people such as big deal? If you were in NYC, you could walk down the street and meet people. Here, everyone locks themselves in their cars and homes. But think about it, for single people, Atlanta is even more of a challenge. So just, relax and enjoy the Atlanta area, instead of focusing on the faults.
I was not trying to focus on faults - at all. We are young, but old enough to not want to go out clubbing. This area is pretty family oriented and since we don't have kids yet, it's hard to meet people.

I'm sorry that you think I was making such a big deal about meeting people, but we came from a place where we had a lot of really great friends and now have NONE. So, I just thought I'd see if anyone had any insight into things for people like us to do in this area so that maybe we could eventually make a friend or two.

Thanks to those of you made suggestions - we have decided to take up tennis!

Old 04-08-2007, 08:31 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,656,056 times
Tennis is a great choice -- it is the thing in Atlanta -- I believe ALTA is the largest amateur sports organization in the world.

It is a wonderful way to meet people. Additionally, church/synagogue is a good option, as is volunteer work. Check out Hands on Atlanta for opportunities.

Old 04-08-2007, 09:00 PM

1,145 posts, read 4,210,677 times
I'm in my late 20s and live in Alpharetta (about to get married). We spend very little time in this area socializing, except for happy hour once in a while.

If I were you, I would definitely venture into the city. Atlanta has so many entertainment options and it would be a shame not to take advantage of them. Plus I never hit traffic on 400 going into the city on weekends (excluding special events).

Old 04-09-2007, 05:56 AM

86 posts, read 437,783 times
Wanna meet people in Alpharetta, go to Sage on Haynes Bridge any night from Thurs to Saturday and sit in the bar area. That place used to be packed on those nights with happy hour and so forth. Usually a crowd from their late
20's to mid 30's.

Old 04-09-2007, 09:20 AM

52 posts, read 211,907 times
this just shows that there is a need and for many entrepreneurs out there, here is a chance to make bank.

Old 04-09-2007, 01:44 PM

131 posts, read 492,617 times
Thanks for the heads up on this one. My wife and I will have to try this place out. We are also mid-to-late 20's and have found it hard to meet people close to our own age out here (been here 7 months).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewboy View Post
Wanna meet people in Alpharetta, go to Sage on Haynes Bridge any night from Thurs to Saturday and sit in the bar area. That place used to be packed on those nights with happy hour and so forth. Usually a crowd from their late
20's to mid 30's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta