Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 09:30 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,187,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterNY View Post
I'd like to hear reasons why Dunwoody over Cobb (I'm also surprised you didn't do a city vs city comparison, you did city vs County ).

I'm asking because Marietta is one of my choices too (thinking of Kennesaw too ).

Where to avoid? I will be going with my realtor in a few days to look at houses. Where to avoid, since you seem to know. Thanks.

RCSteiner, Neil0331, and Mceis, I'd like to hear from you guys too.
All in all, Cobb is a well run county. Taxes are lower than just about anywhere else in the metro area, and you get responsible government and a great school system for your money. Dunwoody is now a city, but you still pay the Dekalb sales tax and the schools are still run by Dekalb County.

Having said all that, if you work in Dunwoody or need to be close to MARTA to commute, then Dunwoody is a good choice. It's a nice community, but since we had no need to be near either Dunwoody or MARTA, we chose Cobb.

Many of the people making statements about Cobb have some kind of politically based bias and perceive that everyone in Cobb is a fundamentalist racist and we all drive Hummers to/from our "McMansions." If you're lifestyle is more urban, then neither Dunwoody nor Marietta is probably the best choice. Dunwoody isn't much different from Marietta, except for the proximity to MARTA. Both are suburban with middle to upper middle class demographics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2010, 11:50 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,421,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
All in all, Cobb is a well run county. Taxes are lower than just about anywhere else in the metro area, and you get responsible government and a great school system for your money. Dunwoody is now a city, but you still pay the Dekalb sales tax and the schools are still run by Dekalb County.

Having said all that, if you work in Dunwoody or need to be close to MARTA to commute, then Dunwoody is a good choice. It's a nice community, but since we had no need to be near either Dunwoody or MARTA, we chose Cobb.

Many of the people making statements about Cobb have some kind of politically based bias and perceive that everyone in Cobb is a fundamentalist racist and we all drive Hummers to/from our "McMansions." If you're lifestyle is more urban, then neither Dunwoody nor Marietta is probably the best choice. Dunwoody isn't much different from Marietta, except for the proximity to MARTA. Both are suburban with middle to upper middle class demographics.

Thank you. That's all I wanted; a well thought out and well written post.

Like every sensible family man, I'm looking for a great area to live in, near my kids' future school (and good schools period); an area not too far from my wife's workplace, middle to upper middle class demographics, (that's not too far from the airport), and has many amenities one could hope for.

Now, my question is: What areas in Cobb should one avoid altogether? (Zip codes (if applicable), commnunities, subdivisions to avoid, if any).

What areas come highly recommended? Anyone know of older established, well maintained neighborhoods, with plenty of space?

Another worry I had was flooding, and tornadoes. I remember a few months ago, plenty of areas in Cobb were flooded. Anyone care to help me find flood zone maps information?

Old 01-02-2010, 02:39 PM

2,206 posts, read 6,889,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterNY View Post
Thank you. That's all I wanted; a well thought out and well written post.

Like every sensible family man, I'm looking for a great area to live in, near my kids' future school (and good schools period); an area not too far from my wife's workplace, middle to upper middle class demographics, (that's not too far from the airport), and has many amenities one could hope for.

Now, my question is: What areas in Cobb should one avoid altogether? (Zip codes (if applicable), commnunities, subdivisions to avoid, if any).

What areas come highly recommended? Anyone know of older established, well maintained neighborhoods, with plenty of space?

Another worry I had was flooding, and tornadoes. I remember a few months ago, plenty of areas in Cobb were flooded. Anyone care to help me find flood zone maps information?
MisterNY, since you're not the OP on this thread (but they're probably long gone), it's not clear whether or not the commute-to-Dunwoody aspect is relevant to you. You mention your wife's workplace, and the airport. In order to make some recommendations of areas in Cobb that might be suitable for you, I think we need to know:

1. Where is your wife's workplace?
2. If you also commute to a workplace, where is that?

You've asked for negative suggestions (areas in Cobb to avoid) but I think most people will be reluctant to offer any, or will at least find it easier to make positive suggestions, based on your stated preferences and needs. Can you name a budget? That makes a big difference. There are "older established, well maintained neighborhoods, with plenty of space" that are likely way above your price range, unless you have upwards of a million dollars to spend on housing. And of course, if you do have that kind of money, you probably won't be interested in neighborhoods in the $300K to $400K range that also fit that description.

I think the major flooding in Cobb was all in Austell and Powder Springs. (I hope someone will correct me if that's incorrect).

Old 01-02-2010, 03:44 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,076,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
I think the major flooding in Cobb was all in Austell and Powder Springs. (I hope someone will correct me if that's incorrect).
The flooding in Cobb was all over the place, but the "major" events were perhaps mostly in the far southcentral and southeast areas. Sweetwater Creek in Austell and by Six Flags (where I-20 flooded) and the Chattahoochee River around the Vinings and southeastern corner of Cobb (where I-285 flooded) may have been the two worst, but those are fairly low-level areas anyway.

It's hard to generalize the impact, tho. I live in southeastern Cobb in Mableton not far from Nickajack Creek, for example, and there were no impacts at all that I could see along that creek or anywhere in our area except for a lot of water moving along the road into the drain pipes as designed. However, what were arguably the worse areas in the whole county were roughly 3-5 miles to the west (Austell), east (Vinings), southeast (I-285), and south (Six Flags) of us. All of the areas I saw were directly adjacent to a river or stream which flooded.

FWIW, some meteorologists have called what happened in Douglas County (just west of and upstream from Cobb County) to cause the Sweetwater flood a 10,000 year event ... over 20 inches of rain fell in less than 48 hours (16.7 in 24 hours). There is no prior history of anything close to that happening in north Georgia. If I can find the quote, I'll post a link.

davis|cognizance | Bradley Davis' Blog: 10,000 Year Event (http://www.bradleysdavis.com/2009/11/10000-year-event.html - broken link)

I also know I've seen FEMA maps and road closure maps for the area. If I can find links, I'll post them, but if you use a home inspector and a house that you're interested in wasn't flooded in 2009, chances are good it will never flood.

FEMA Map Service Center - FEMA Issued Flood Maps
Major flood events in metro Atlanta | Map | ajc.com
Road closings due to flooding in metro Atlanta | Map | ajc.com

Last edited by rcsteiner; 01-02-2010 at 04:10 PM.. Reason: Added links and corrected 24 to 48 hours.

Old 01-02-2010, 09:38 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,421,605 times
Quote:
MisterNY, since you're not the OP on this thread (but they're probably long gone), it's not clear whether or not the commute-to-Dunwoody aspect is relevant to you. You mention your wife's workplace, and the airport. In order to make some recommendations of areas in Cobb that might be suitable for you, I think we need to know:

1. Where is your wife's workplace?
2. If you also commute to a workplace, where is that?

You've asked for negative suggestions (areas in Cobb to avoid) but I think most people will be reluctant to offer any, or will at least find it easier to make positive suggestions, based on your stated preferences and needs. Can you name a budget? That makes a big difference. There are "older established, well maintained neighborhoods, with plenty of space" that are likely way above your price range, unless you have upwards of a million dollars to spend on housing. And of course, if you do have that kind of money, you probably won't be interested in neighborhoods in the $300K to $400K range that also fit that description.

Sorry for taking away the OP's thread.

But to answer the questions,

My wife's job is near Buckhead. (Piedmont Hospital).
I have my business, and I travel quite a bit (now between FL & GA) (hence proximity to the airport being important, once I'm settled here)

We're looking at a max of $350k (house), but if we can find better deals, why not? We're not looking for mansions or anything of that sort (Our price range clearly indicates that ). I need to elaborate that older to us means something built in the 80s, and in good condition, not run down areas. Houses sold around that time had more yard space than most new subdivisions. We don't want to be too close to neighbors, and as hard as it may seem, we're leaning toward subdivisions with HOAs vs non HOAs.

(Double edge-sword for many, but a must have. We've seen the difference between non-HOA vs HOA, and usually the HOA subdivisions from our experience, have always been in better condition).

If there's an area people would like to "not" recommend, I'm still all ears. I just want to hear truths, P-C or not. But, as you stated, recommendations make just as much, if not more sense. Does anyone have pictures of the areas, if possible? That would be a bonus.

Old 01-02-2010, 09:54 PM

If your wife works at Piedmont Hospital and you need to fly a lot, I think you should take Kennesaw right off your list. The Smyrna/Vinings area in Cobb County might be OK - it has pretty good access to the airport. Dunwoody might be better for your wife's commute, and allow you to take MARTA to the airport. I don't know these areas personally, so I hope someone else will have some more specific ideas for you.

Old 01-03-2010, 07:52 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,076,879 times
Google Maps can provide some fairly good visuals. Just use the street View and look around.

Old 01-03-2010, 08:04 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,187,009 times
Quote:
If your wife works at Piedmont Hospital and you need to fly a lot, I think you should take Kennesaw right off your list. The Smyrna/Vinings area in Cobb County might be OK - it has pretty good access to the airport. Dunwoody might be better for your wife's commute, and allow you to take MARTA to the airport. I don't know these areas personally, so I hope someone else will have some more specific ideas for you.
Agree that Smyrna and Vinings have good access to the airport, but I live in West Cobb (Marietta near Kennesaw) and access to the airport is fine as well. You actually have multiple routes to use, unlike some other areas like Dunwoody or Alpharetta.

Off hours, I can take I-75 through town and it takes about 30 to 40 minutes. If there's traffic on I-75, then I can take Barrett Pkwy (E-W Conn), South Cobb Dr, or Atlanta Rd and take I-285 to the airport. Worst case in rush hour has been 60 minutes to the airport. Best case has been about 25 min in the late evening.

Old 01-03-2010, 10:47 AM

That's good info about airport access from the west side of Marietta. However, I'd be concerned that MisterNY's wife would have too long a commute to Piedmont Hospital from your area, no? In my opinion, they have options that would give her a significantly shorter commute.

Old 01-03-2010, 11:55 AM

2,390 posts, read 4,403,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Please cite a source to support this assertion. The police in Cobb don't put up with crime or criminals, no matter what race. So is your definition of racism is the fact that cops arrest criminals who happen to be minorities?
Well I can cite THREE incidents MYSELF living in Cobb from how big of jackasses the police out here can be. I'm not going to derail the thread but I definitely wont disagree with his statement either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta