Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2009, 05:42 PM

1 posts, read 4,314 times

Advertisements

I've seen some nice townhomes and condos along Pryor St and I wanted to know if this area is progressing. I know they are trying to revitalize the city of Atlanta and I've heard about the Belt Line project in that area as well. Can any one give any advice for this area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2009, 07:24 PM

128 posts, read 352,805 times
Pryor Street...yeah you don't hear too much about that area. It's really for the hardcore urban pioneers, in my opinion.

Old 05-07-2009, 08:21 PM

235 posts, read 838,096 times
Pryor Street in Downtown and just SW of Downtown are way better in appearance than just a decade ago, but more progress is to be made, for sure. The condos a decade ago were largely rentals and some retail space was converted to condos, so I would call that progress. Some of the area was cleaned up, too. Meaning, the bums that squatted in empty unused buildings are no longer there to the best of my knowledge.

Old 05-07-2009, 10:39 PM

550 posts, read 1,637,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jurban8 View Post
Pryor Street...yeah you don't hear too much about that area. It's really for the hardcore urban pioneers, in my opinion.
I love that terminology "hardcore urban pioneers".... I think that was me, back in 1990, when I lived in warehouse lofts at 227 Mitchell Street, next door to the infamous Scoville Hotel - a flophouse. Another warehouse loft was located the next block over, we were the only two warehouse lofts in that part of downtown at the time.

Old 05-07-2009, 10:56 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,786,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StPaulEastSider View Post
I love that terminology "hardcore urban pioneers".... I think that was me, back in 1990, when I lived in warehouse lofts at 227 Mitchell Street, next door to the infamous Scoville Hotel - a flophouse. Another warehouse loft was located the next block over, we were the only two warehouse lofts in that part of downtown at the time.
What's a flop house?

Old 05-07-2009, 11:07 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,798,987 times
Quote:
Okay...I used to have a friend who lived in a Mitchell Street loft for many years. He lived there when there was no one living downtown...

Pryor Street looks okay here...there's even a corner dentist for extractions and golds:

Atlanta Underground: Pryor Street on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/kuzquiano/154407319/ - broken link) Pryor on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/kuzquiano/354509032/ - broken link)

Downtown Atlanta on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/whitebub98/2999975993/ - broken link) Painless Dentist on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/robh/115200/ - broken link)

Old 05-08-2009, 12:07 AM

550 posts, read 1,637,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
What's a flop house?
Flophouse - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Occupants of flophouses generally share bathroom facilities and reside in very tight quarters. The people who make use of these places are often transients, although some people will stay in flophouses for long periods of time—years or decades. Some people who live in flophouses may be just a step above homelessness. In the late 20th century, typical cost might be about US $6 per night. A typical flophouse might advertise its services with a sign such as "Hotel for Men; Transients Welcome". Quarters in flophouses are typically very small, and may resemble office cubicles more than a regular room in a hotel or apartment building
+++++++

The Scoville Hotel was part of the "Hotel Row" District of Dwtn Atlanta, Hotel Row includes 205 through 235 Mitchell St. (odd numbers only).

http://www.atlantaga.gov/government/urbandesign_hotelrow.aspx (broken link)

Hotel Row Historic District--Atlanta: A National Register of Historic Places Travel Itinerary

http://www.flickr.com/photos/44684100@N00/509825023 (broken link)

+++++++

To clarify my prior statement, the lofts I lived in @ 227 Mitchell and the lofts, I think it was a converted Firehouse, a block over, were the only two warehouse loft BUILDINGS in that part of dwtn back in 1990. I think 227 Mitchell had 12 lofts in all, three floors of 4 lofts each.

I just checked a map, I guess a block over would be Nelson Street & there is only one red brick building on that street which could be the lofts I am thinking of on the street located a block over from our lofts on Mitchell Street. The owners of the loft on Nelson Street also owned our lofts - which we rented. While I was living at 227 Mitchell, the loft owners on Nelson Street had an art exhibit/open house and invited those who lived in our building to the event. The art was very avant-garde, from what I can recall.

+++++++

The photos from Pryor Street look great... I wouldn't mind living there if I wasn't encumbered by kids.

How do you nab pictures off Flicker and get them in your post here at c-d ? I tried doing that with a photo of the scoville hotel neon sign, but couldn't figure it out. Hmmm.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/derekjacksonphotography/2224101315/ (broken link)

Last edited by StPaulEastSider; 05-08-2009 at 12:50 AM..

Old 05-08-2009, 08:20 AM

248 posts, read 648,662 times
Quote:
The Scoville Hotel was part of the "Hotel Row" District of Dwtn Atlanta, [i]Hotel Row includes 205 through 235 Mitchell St. (odd numbers only).
Another interesting thing about the Scoville is that a Rolling Stones video for the song Rain Came Down was filmed there.

I love the history of that hotel-row area on Mitchell Street and the facades of the old buildings are left. The lofts on that block look really nice from some photos in real estate ads I've seen. I'd love to live in that area some day if/when it improves more and gets more of a neighborhood feel, but it isn't there yet and I'm just not that much of a pioneer anymore since we had a kid.

Speaking of that area, I suggest staying clear of South Broad Street. I've seen a scary amount of what appeared to be drug activity going on there.

I remember reading that the governor wanted to close off the last east block of Mitchell Street and make more of a plaza space there near the capitol. I hope that happens. That whole section of downtown could be awesome with some development.

Where exactly on Pryor ore the townhomes you've seen?

Old 05-08-2009, 08:40 AM

989 posts, read 1,742,193 times
I think the OP is referring to Pryor St that runs into SW Atlanta, not the section located downtown. Pryor runs through Mechnicville then down through Southwest. There has been some development going on there, but it's still work to be done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: